Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Battery leaks? What to do? (Onyx M92)

I charged my battery on Thursday. Today, Sunday, it is completely exhausted and I have to recharge it again. I have used it for approximately for half an hour per day in this period only for reading and browsing, no TTS or mp3.

I don't know if it is a software or hardware problem and what is the reason for this. The strange thing is that my battery had been OK before Thrusday. I got my M92 some 20 days ago and for 2 weeks use I hadn't noticed problems with the battery. Then, on Thursday I had a problem with the stylus and the touchscreen - the screen became unresponsive to the stylus. I rebooted and the problem was gone - the stylus was working again, but the battery was almost exhausted and I had to charge it.

But after I charged it, it lasted only for several days, provided that I didn't use the device extensively. I don't know if the stylus problem is related, but it could be, that is why I am writing about it. E-ink does not use much energy, but the technology related to the touchscreen probably could. Then it may not even be the battery, if somehow the touchscreen is using more energy.

I am charging the battery again now, to see how it will perform. Maybe I will try a firmware upgrade, but I am inclined to think that it is a hardware problem. The question is - is it the battery, or the device uses more energy than it is supposed to do?
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
You didn't write in which state you leave m92, if you do not use it.

Is is switched on (you can read the text) or in sleep mode (there is a screensaver on the display) or switched off (blank screen - I guess, I do not use it.)

It could be related to WiFi, which consumes quite a lot. Didn't you leave WiFi on after leaving the browser?

PS.
M92 becomes unresponsive to pen (and buttons) if the battery is exhausted. So, it could be opposite also in your case. The battery was exhausted and so stylus and M92 did nothing (but the text was visible, as it does not need the power supply). It has happened to me once or twice. First I was scared, something broke, but than realized it only needs to recharge. So, it is normal behaviour for e-ink.

@ Booxtor
It might be a good idea to reset M92 to screensaver Battery Empty or something like that when power is close to low. It is (IMO) better to go to sleep sooner than to scare the reader that something has been broken.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Power management was initially in its default state with some kind of screensaver and then the device was off after some time. I changed it today to no power saving, but I don't think it made a difference. I am not sure what use is the screensaver - as far as I know e-ink devices consume energy only when the page is changed and turning on and off the device (whether automatically or manually) could use more energy.

Wifi is automatically turned on and off when the browser is open, but I didn't leave the device with the browser open (I was reading a book).

While the pen was unresponsive the battery indicator at the low right corner was crossed out, but I was still capable of changing pages with the buttons (maybe touch screen requires more energy?). But I still don't know if touchscreen is related to energy consumption/batery leak - it is just a suggestion.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

OK, M92 was in low energy state (battery crossed). Maybe at this state the pen is turned off, while buttons not to enable user to finish the work and switch device off. So, nothing strange has happened to you.

Difference between sleep mode and off-mode is, that in sleep mode some energy is used. In off-mode almost none.

Try the charging again. It takes (IMO) few charging cycles before any recharcheable battery reaches its full capacity. To say the truth, I do not know, how often m92 needs to be charged. There is so many hungry devices, that I lost the track... I charge it when needed.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I don't know if it's interesting in this case, but : don't leave the stylus on the screen, this consume the battery. It's my experience with my Samsung EB-60.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur
rolexconfuse began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
interesting, I charged my M92 on Tuesday and used it about 40 minutes per day for 3 days. Left it on standby the rest of the time, I have 73% left
rolexconfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Stefanauss
Stefanauss began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 (previously: Asus EEE Reader DR-900)
I second the suggestion to do some proper recharge cycle.
If i were you, i'll test this way: fully charged, power on, and then put it immediately in stand-by (by clicking once on the power button) and left it there. It has to use almost nothing in this configuration. If not, there is some problem with the fw.
In my experience, the first thing to check with smart "mobile" devices is standby battery. Checked that, you can explore further.
Stefanauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
slex
Addict

I left the battery to charge for 24 hours. It did not charge fully - only 93%. A minute after I unplugged it it was 89%. I will leave it in "10 minutes to standby, 15 minutes to shutdown" mode for the next 24 hours to see what will happen.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Mono
Mono

The battery level measurement in M92 is not very reliable. It hops up and down. Onyx removed the display of the numeric value at last 1.7RC (possibly to prevent users' confusion)... And it was hardly possible to charge to 100%.

So, I would not make judgement based only on the values displayed.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
ljubavracar
ljubavracar began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
Battery problem

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem as "slex" . I bought my ONYX BOOX M92 4 weeks ago and it came with pre-charged battery. It lasted for more then 3 weeks of constant usage of reader, occasionally with wifi and music. Practically, I was never shutoff device. Then, I charged my reader for more than 48 hours, waiting for orange LED to shutoff. But, it stayed in ON state all the time. After charging I can use my device for just few days (battery runs out). Obviously, there is a issue with charging, not battery or power consumption related.

So, "slex" did you solved your problem? How?

I am just preparing to write review about ONYX M92 BLACK PEARL, but now I dont now what to think...
ljubavracar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubavracar View Post
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem as "slex" . I bought my ONYX BOOX M92 4 weeks ago and it came with pre-charged battery. It lasted for more then 3 weeks of constant usage of reader, occasionally with wifi and music. Practically, I was never shutoff device. Then, I charged my reader for more than 48 hours, waiting for orange LED to shutoff. But, it stayed in ON state all the time. After charging I can use my device for just few days (battery runs out). Obviously, there is a issue with charging, not battery or power consumption related.

So, "slex" did you solved your problem? How?

I am just preparing to write review about ONYX M92 BLACK PEARL, but now I dont now what to think...
Hi,

how did you charge your ereader? Wall charger or USB to PC?
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
ljubavracar

Hi,
I charged my device with wall charger (5V/1.5A) for 24 h and with rear USB on PC.
Few days ago, orange LED finally goes off after 3 hours of charging. But today (after 2 days since charging) my battery is almost empty. Maybe, I should try few more charging/discharging cycles. Is this "normal" behavior of new device?

Booxtor, I really appreciate your help. I see that you helped many people on this forum. I dont want to be unfair to you, so I want you to know that I bought my device from ARTHATECH.
Thank you again, maybe we can solved my problem.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Have a look at what I posted here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=914

Do you see similar behavior? You have to make sure that the device is indeed turned off completely.

There seems to be a problem when leaving the device in suspend mode, from which it tries to turn itself off after some time (when having a setting like 10 min to suspend, 15 to poweroff). The automatic poweroff fails and instead the device is left running in normal mode, which of course causes massive battery drain.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
ljubavracar

Thank you mSSM for your help! Yes, I have seen same problem with my device (regarding power management). I will try to manually shutoff device and I will disable all power management features. According to your opinion, is there a big difference between suspend and off mode?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
Mono
Mono

I do not know, if there is big difference. Generally, I use only suspend and go to off only, if I forgot to charge or because of firmware update etc.

I haven't paid much attention to how long it may stay in suspend, but it seems to me that it is several weeks.

Suspend mode has 2 advantages for me. The reader starts almost instantly and while in suspend nice pictures may be displayed. This heavily overweights the disadvantage of slightly higher energy consumption then power-off.

Tags
battery, energy consumption, onyx m92