Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
bbryyz
bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bbryyz is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: kindle
Kobo is reading my mobi books

Got my touch yesterday and put in a microSD card with only .mobi books and surprisingly it did show all the books.

It did take a while to scan all the books but the list surely did come up.

Is .mobi reading an unadvertised, unsupported feature?
bbryyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Actually, advertised & supported! First seen in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44#post1599444

Supported File Formats
Books: EPUB, PDF and MOBI
Documents: PDF
Text: TXT, HTML and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR

http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
How are folks finding the mobi the support? It doesn't appear as if the point size can be adjusted which makes it a little tough.

And what about pdf? I'm sampling one of the monthly freebies from University of Chicago Press and finding it pretty awkward; this worked better for me on the Kobo WiFi.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
How are folks finding the mobi the support? It doesn't appear as if the point size can be adjusted which makes it a little tough.

And what about pdf? I'm sampling one of the monthly freebies from University of Chicago Press and finding it pretty awkward; this worked better for me on the Kobo WiFi.
i love the pdf support.
the double tap to zoom in to read parts...it makes it a lot easier to flip through magazines than it was on the wifi, always having to adjust % 's was a pain and even then you couldn't find the one that worked best.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
If the CSS of your .mobi file specifies a fixed point size, it becomes a bit difficult to adjust it on the fly.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does the mobi support include DRM'ed mobi's ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can't say for not trying and not having some amazon books, but I am pretty sure it doesn't. I don't think amazon would share their secrets with a competitor or that kobo would decrypt anyway the book on the fly since it would be illegal.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No...

The Kobo Touch and Kobo Wireless only support .mobi files that have not been encrypted.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
If the CSS of your .mobi file specifies a fixed point size, it becomes a bit difficult to adjust it on the fly.
Thanks, George, that makes sense.

Apart from calibre conversions -- where perhaps I have control over the variable pitch of the font -- I tried commercial files I purchased from Fictionwise when they still offered a decent selection.

Anyway, I didn't buy a Kobo for mobi. I may tinker with a couple of files to see if there is some magic sauce that will work for me.

One other question: can I put mobi files in a folder called "mobi" instead of having them fly around loose in the root directory?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
One other question: can I put mobi files in a folder called "mobi" instead of having them fly around loose in the root directory?
I have successfully put some work related reference files in a separate directory for sanity sake and it works fine. Since the pdf's are now in the "books" library list I am now at the point where having better sort options (i.e. directories) in the library interface would be nice.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern

Quote:
Yes, but the UI will flatten them out into a long list.

Tags
kobo touch, mobi files