Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
multiple PCs with different OS

I'm getting ready to purchase a Sony eReader and am doing all the research I can up front so I can get up and running right away with it. I liek what I've read about Calibre and want to give it a try, I will also be using the Sony desktop software as well. My problem/confusion is that I have a laptop running Ubuntu that I use as sort of a media server (has all my mp3s on it, and other stuff I routinely take with me places), this is where I would install Calibre and do most (80%) of my syncing. On occasion though I would liek to be able to use the Sony software that will have to run on a different (Windows) PC.

I would like to be able to get any content from the Sony software into Calibre to manage it and then move it to the reader using Calibre. Once I have the books in the Sony software what is the best way to get it to Calibre? Can I just copy it over with a USB drive and then import it, or do I need to load it to the reader and then get it into Calibre from there?

Thanks for any input
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You can import/add the eBooks you buy from the Sony store into calibre. You don't need to shuffle them through your reader.

Just be careful if you are loading your reader from both calibre and ebook library. The collections could get messed up.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the quick reply Bob!

Just to make sure I've got my brain wrapped around it - I can just copy them from one computer to another using a flash drive or something and import it into Calibre?

I would probably use Calibre exclusively for feeding the reader so that wont be an issue.

Sounds like a plan - thanks again

Now I just need to get my hands on a physical version of the 900 to test it before I buy one!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Just to make sure I've got my brain wrapped around it - I can just copy them from one computer to another using a flash drive or something and import it into Calibre?
Yes. (or using your LAN).

Just keep in mind while calibre will catalog and move the DRMed ebooks it can't update/modify the metadata in most of them. Not that you can do that with the Sony software either.

BOb
Old 11-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
dsvick
Wizard

Awesome!! Thanks a bunch! Calibre sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
Quote:
I'm getting ready to purchase a Sony eReader and am doing all the research I can up front so I can get up and running right away with it. I liek what I've read about Calibre and want to give it a try, I will also be using the Sony desktop software as well. My problem/confusion is that I have a laptop running Ubuntu that I use as sort of a media server (has all my mp3s on it, and other stuff I routinely take with me places), this is where I would install Calibre and do most (80%) of my syncing. On occasion though I would liek to be able to use the Sony software that will have to run on a different (Windows) PC.

I would like to be able to get any content from the Sony software into Calibre to manage it and then move it to the reader using Calibre. Once I have the books in the Sony software what is the best way to get it to Calibre? Can I just copy it over with a USB drive and then import it, or do I need to load it to the reader and then get it into Calibre from there?

Thanks for any input
Just wanted to remind you that you don't actually need the Sony software to manage the books at all... unless you are using the Sony Bookstore. If you are using the Sony bookstore to purchase books, they will likely be DRM protected and you not be able to move them to Calibre without modification.

Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
dsvick
Wizard

Thanks Beau

So I would need to strip off the drm prior to being able to import it into Calibre? From Bob's reply earlier it sounded as if I'd be able to import it but not be able to modify it (the meta data).

Can someone confirm which way it works?

thanks
Old 11-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks Beau

So I would need to strip off the drm prior to being able to import it into Calibre? From Bob's reply earlier it sounded as if I'd be able to import it but not be able to modify it (the meta data).

Can someone confirm which way it works?

thanks
No he is incorrect. You can add DRM protected books to calibre. But, as I said, you can't convert them to modify the metadata. Of course, you can edit the metadata that shows in calibre those changes won't be preserved when you "save to disk" or "send to reader". Actually, I think this depends on the format. I think some mobipocket metadata is in the clear so that will work. But, I'm pretty sure this doesn't work with .LRX books or .ePub/PDF books.

You may find info in the manual / FAQ which metadata of which DRMed formats can actually be changed.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 11-26-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
dsvick
Wizard

Thanks Bob, that is the answer I was hoping for. I'm going to download and install Calibre while the turkey is in the oven today

Another quick question I just thought of and did not see an answer in a quick search here. How does Calibre handle library books that you would get through the Sony site or through your own library? Does it handle and 'expire' them correctly or do you need to load them right to the reader without going through Calibre?

thanks and enjoy your Thanksgiving everyone!!
Old 11-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Another quick question I just thought of and did not see an answer in a quick search here. How does Calibre handle library books that you would get through the Sony site or through your own library? Does it handle and 'expire' them correctly or do you need to load them right to the reader without going through Calibre?
Calibre really has nothing to do with the DRM. It is basically just a way to catalog and "move around" the ebook files in the case of protected files. The DRM is inherent in the file and it contains the expire date encoded into the file.

You won't be able to manage your checkout with calibre. Some libraries/formats allow you to "return" the book early. Of course, you can't do that in caliber, you will have to do it in Sony or ADE software.

BOb
Old 11-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
dsvick
Wizard

Return it early!? Never happen.

I'll just be happy it gets returned on time
Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
dsvick
Wizard

Ok, I've got Calibre installed and have downloaded a couple of books from the Baen free library. I cannot open them in Calibre due to the DRM which I understand and can accept. My question though is if I use Calibre to manage them and copy them to a reader from there will I be able to read them then or do I need to do something with ADE? If that is the case then that essentially means I'd have to install that on a different, Windows, pc and download and then copy from there.

Sorry for the multiple questions - all of this is in preparation for getting a reader so I dont have one to test with.

thanks for your patience everyone.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Baen books are DRM free. I have had no problems using books from the Baen Free Library (or bought ones from Baen) with Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
dsvick
Wizard

Thanks for the response itimpi, I think I need to spend a bit more time working with it. I installed it and downloaded a couple of news feeds and viewed them, nowt it will not view anything. I'll see what I've messed up and check the help and see if I can figure it out.

UPDATE - it seems hit or miss now sometimes the viewer will open sometimes not, so it is not any of the books I downloaded but the viewer itself. This problem isn't pertinent to this topic though so I'll start a new one if I need to.

FIXED - I figured out the issue with viewer, it is the same as described in this thread

Last edited by dsvick; 11-27-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: new info
Old 11-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No he is incorrect. You can add DRM protected books to calibre. But, as I said, you can't convert them to modify the metadata. Of course, you can edit the metadata that shows in calibre those changes won't be preserved when you "save to disk" or "send to reader". Actually, I think this depends on the format. I think some mobipocket metadata is in the clear so that will work. But, I'm pretty sure this doesn't work with .LRX books or .ePub/PDF books.

You may find info in the manual / FAQ which metadata of which DRMed formats can actually be changed.

BOb
My bad, thanks for the correction.

Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote