Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Busirane
Busirane began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Graphite DX has backlit display?

The Graphite DX page at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYWHSQ) has a video in the upper left-hand corner, where the product pictures usually are. At 00:34 in the video, the narrator says "the screen is backlit, so you can read comfortably even in bright sunlight".

If the Graphite DX really has a backlit screen, I'd expect that to improve readability in low light, not bright sunlight. I didn't see any mention of backlighting in the lengthy "New Graphite Kindle DX on July 7th!" thread.

Does anyone know how the backlight will work? Manual on/off? Ambient light sensor? I wonder how much it shortens the two-week battery life touted in the same video.
Busirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It does not have a backlight. E-ink can't use a backlight because it reflects light, rather than transmitting it. It can be used outdoors, because it is reflective. In fact sunlight is one of the best sources of light for modern E-Ink screens.

The Pearl E-Ink film is more or less like the Vizplex E-Ink film used in the earlier Kindles, except that it has more contrast. See E Ink announces next generation display platform.

Last edited by wallcraft; 07-07-2010 at 11:16 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just checked out the video, I hear "...the screen isn't backlit so you can read comfortably..."
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I hear "...The screen isn't backlit, so you can read comfortably, even in bright sunlight..."

*edit* Sheesh, two post ahead of me!
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Busirane
Busirane began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just checked out the video, I hear "...the screen isn't backlit so you can read comfortably..."
Wow... I must have looped that section of the video a dozen times, trying to make sure I wasn't mishearing "reflective" or "active" or something that sounded like "backlit", and I never heard "isn't". The narration makes more sense that way, though!

Thanks.

On replaying the video, with headphones on and the volume turned up, I can sort of hear the "n't" in "isn't"... played quietly through the tiny tinny laptop speakers, it sure sounds like "is" to me!

Last edited by Busirane; 07-07-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Busirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, he definitely says "the screen isn't backlit...".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I dont think you could back-lite one of these if they wanted to based on what it is made out of.
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote