Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #2686
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
No it doesn't matter. If i need the client i can probably get it from optware or something.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #2687
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@qlob: 'k . It's part of the 1.3 roadmap anyway, so, it will eventually happen .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #2688
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

okay. thanks for the offer though!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #2689
guitarninja
guitarninja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Auto-Screensaver

Does the screensaver hack also disable the function that automatically engages the screensaver after so many minutes? If not, will that ever be a part of the hack?
guitarninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #2690
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarninja View Post
Does the screensaver hack also disable the function that automatically engages the screensaver after so many minutes? If not, will that ever be a part of the hack?
You should be able to find that modification in our index system.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #2691
qlob
Official Lurker

@NiLuJe: Is is possible to undo changing the fonts in the browser? Is it as simple as just putting nobrowser back where it was, or is it trickier?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #2692
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@qlob: Yep, put nobrowser back, reboot. That should do it. That'll of course also disable custom fonts in KF8 files .
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #2693
qlob
Official Lurker

I only have one KF8 book as it is.... I decided SourceSans wasnt a good look for the browser........ It is decent for reading... I prefer to read in sans rather than serif...

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #2694
kasumi
kasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle ($69 Black)
I am on firmware 4.1 and I have some questions regarding the font hack:

1. To change Chinese fonts, I would replace the CJK.tff font. What about the collections in the menu that are named in Chinese? These are supposed to be bolded italics. What fonts will they use? Can I change the fonts for CJK_bold.tff / CJK_italic.tff etc too?

2. I read somewhere that the screensaver hack will automatically disable OTA updates. Is that true for the ss hack uploaded in this thread? Does the font hack have this function too?

3. If one day I uninstall the font hack, the default fonts will have been backed up and replaced properly, yes? Would I need to back them up myself?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!
kasumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #2695
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
1 - no idea

2 - i never connect using wireless - so i stop all kindle updates - i use 3g

3 - you will need to back up the factory fonts - but why change back?
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #2696
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1 - Unknown

2a - The screen saver directory and files is often one of those things checked by an OTA update. Anything that removes, moves, or renames them will cause that to fail.

2b - If the font hack only adds files, then it should not cause a problem. If it removes, moves or renames them, see: 2a.

3a - Unknown.

3b - You can never go wrong keeping your own backups.
They are your files, you changed them, who else should back them up?

@peter12345: 3 because of 2.

Last edited by knc1; 10-17-2012 at 07:03 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #2697
qlob
Official Lurker

It does backup the fonts and implement them correctly on uninstall.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #2698
kasumi
kasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toys

Thank you for your swift replies!

I bricked my Kindle the last time before I even started applying font / screensaver hacks, so I wanted to be more certain this time how I could undo the hacks.

There are a lot of hacking tutorials but not enough information on how to backup/restore them I think.

I'm debating whether it's worth the hassle to jailbreak. If I do eventually try to change my CJK fonts maybe I can report back.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #2699
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kasumi:

1/ Yep. Not sure about the UI, though. It defaults to Serif_Bold or Serif_Regular depending on FW, but it might very well pick some stuff from the CJK/I18N fonts when encountering non-latin scripts. And, no, you can't control the styling on the CJK/I18N font, there's only one variant.

2/ No. It doesn't block updates, and it's completely transparent for the update process, even if said update wants to update default fonts/ss.

3/ Everything's backed up automatically, but nothing is actually ever written on the system partiton anyway (hence why we're invisible for official updates). Disabling the hack restores the system to a vanilla state, even while it's still installed.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #2700
kasumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@kasumi:

1/ Yep. Not sure about the UI, though. It defaults to Serif_Bold or Serif_Regular depending on FW, but it might very well pick some stuff from the CJK/I18N fonts when encountering non-latin scripts. And, no, you can't control the styling on the CJK/I18N font, there's only one variant.

2/ No. It doesn't block updates, and it's completely transparent for the update process, even if said update wants to update default fonts/ss.

3/ Everything's backed up automatically, but nothing is actually ever written on the system partiton anyway (hence why we're invisible for official updates). Disabling the hack restores the system to a vanilla state, even while it's still installed.
Ah, thanks for the info. Cause I heard of instances where ss hacks resulted in error messages during firmware updates, so I was a bit wary. So theoretically these hacks are OTA-safe yes? I suppose those problematic hacks were applied through SSH from the random pieces of codes I see lying around.

And to think I used to think those were safer/easier.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet