Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Registration / User accounts and privacy

I rather prefer to keep my private details to myself.
This is one reason I never like products that call for user accounts. Sure, in some cases there's no way around a user account (like with e-mail), but such providers don't allways ask for private data. And, I can choose which provider I want.

Ok, here I go. I could imagine buying an ipad. I could imagine to get contents from my PC to an ipad. I could also imagine to have an account with apple but I wouldn't want apple to have my personal data.
I know there are gift cards I can buy in stores, but still, I have to create an account, and I'd bet they want to know who I am.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing I need to hide, but still, the ipad seems the device which resembles the "smallest" package compared to windows based slates and I simply like the design, so I would currently prefer an ipad over another slate running windows (which I would prefer compared to apples OS's, just because I know what it can and cannot do).

So is there a way to use an ipad in a expedient way without getting an account? I mean how to get free apps and such without an account? If free means I have to give them my private data, then I'd say it's not free, right?

Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, there's no way to get even free apps without an Apple Store account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

What about fake names for an account and then using gift cards? Would that work?
I'm not sure if that were "legal" but on the other side, if you purchase an ipad (I assume if I would do that, I would legally own the hardware, not just some kind of license to use it, right???), shouldn't one be able to use the product without giving up their own privacy.

I mean what does anyone care which book I read, which free app I use, ....?

Ok, put it this way. When was the last time you had to register or create an account at your local grocery store for buying tomatoes when you paid cash???
Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
yes. you could probably get away with creating an account with fake information, as long as you don't use a credit card (unless you had one in your fake name). could apple detect you? as long as you don't screw up somehow. what's the worst they can do? close out your account and you'd lose access to your music/books/media. would you have any recourse? doubt it.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Mike, try this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
well, I know a certain mr B. Gates living in a Delaware MS store has been buying a lot of iPad apps lately....
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Mike_73
Guru

Thanks for the help here. I've checked the help page on creating a user account and I like the "none" payment option

I don't bother if they have my name, but I don't need any e-mail from apple on my private e-mail account, neither do I need mail from 3rd parties. And I also don't want to be bothered via snail mail.

As for MS, I did buy a Zune at the time the 1st gen Zunes were discounted down to $70 (that was right before I had to leave the US and go back to Germany).
MS has a really nice store similar to itunes, but you don't have to use it. All games and FW updates were available without even creating an account. So, even if bitching about MS seems ok from time to time (mostly about woes with nonworking hardware or worse implementation of UI compared to apple), this is one thing for which I really like MS.

Thanks again for the help.