Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
HTML to .MOBI: large l.h. margin; text cuts off on the rt. Ideas how to fix?

That's it. If there's special code to get the text to wrap neatly, add 'widow & orphan'-prevention, and not add that 3/8-1/2" left-hand margin on my Kindle, I would love to know it what it is.

It's for a class reading that is driving me insane to try to make readable. HTML used to convert so perfectly (on other file converters - not just Calibre). What the heck happened (on other file converters as well as Calibre)?!

Thanks to any & all.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
That's it. If there's special code to get the text to wrap neatly, add 'widow & orphan'-prevention, and not add that 3/8-1/2" left-hand margin on my Kindle, I would love to know it what it is.

It's for a class reading that is driving me insane to try to make readable. HTML used to convert so perfectly (on other file converters - not just Calibre). What the heck happened (on other file converters as well as Calibre)?!

Thanks to any & all.
I'm guessing the problem is in the html code itself. Here are two things to try.

1. Try opening it in Word then saving it as filtered html or rtf. Now convert that to mobi.

if that didn't work ...

2. Open the html file in something like notepad++ remove all of the junk html in the header/style area and leave the basics, font, h1, h2 etc. Save with a new name and see how close this comes to success.

Maybe you can find out what code causes this. I had to do the exact same thing as 2 above one time to move beyond a problem with words running off of the page for a couple of sentences. I was losing many words between page turns. Even though I have barely any html knowledge I managed to create a very readable book by tossing out gobs of html.

Good Luck!

&
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert