Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Calybrid
Calybrid began at the beginning.

Device: prs 600
PDB to epub, remove drm?

My dony prs 600 keeps crashing my computer (seperate issue), and so i've done as was suggested in another forum thread, and prevented the sony reader library from running. it seems to have solved some of the issues, however, as i understand it, this prevents me from downloading ebooks from the sony store.

I did as suggested, and downloaded Calibre. I had read somewhere in another forum thread that i could download a book from barnes and noble and convert it for reading on my prs 600. I tried this, downloaded a book, and the only format the book could be downloaded in was pdb.

When i try to convert the book from pdb to epub, i get the following error: Could not convert (book name). It is a DRM ed book. You must first remove the DRM using third party tools.

I'm not all that computer savvy. I can't find instructions for removing the DRM that are in a format i can understand. Can someone help?
Calybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Please read Section 8 of the this Forum FAQ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines
to understan why we will not answer your question here.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest buying from the many US ebook stores that provide Adobe ePub (and PDF, but ePub is better) ebooks. This includes Books on Board and (recently) FictionWise. These work "as is" on your Sony, providing it is registered to your AdobeID.

If you buy from B&N then your best bet is to get an ePub, because its DRM is easier for a novice to remove than eReader. Currently, it seems you need to download the B&N ebook from within Windows B&N Reader to get the ePub version (you might still get the eReader version, but it is worth trying). The ebook will be in My Documents\My BN eBooks\EMAIL. Then see Barnes & Noble DRM for EPUB circumvented.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
Calybrid

Not understanding what DRM is, i'm just following the instructions Calibre gives me, or trying to.

I legitimately purchased a book. How is that piracy?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Calybrid

What's an adobe ID? Since i can't use the software that came with my device, i'm flying blind here. I tried the Calibre help file, but i dont understand most of the technical information it gives. Is there something i needed to do other than install calibre? Is there a function within calibre that registers an adobe id?
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Did you use Windows Adobe Digital Editions to register an AdobeID before buying from Sony? If not then I think you need to ask in the Sony subforums about how to get out of the Sony-only trap you are probably in. What happens if you try to open your Sony ePubs using Windows Adobe Digital Editions?

It isn't piracy to strip the DRM from ebooks you bought. However, it is illegal in the US to write (or host) software that allows you to do so and it may also be illegal to tell you how to use it.

Calibre does not strip DRM (encryption). It does not have to do so if the DRM is already setup for the Sony (e.g. buying ePubs from Sony or with a registered AdobeID). Otherwise, you have to strip the DRM before invoking Calibre.

I'm not sure that stopping the Sony eBL running automatically prevents you from downloading Sony ebooks. You can download them for the Sony Windows Viewer (eBL has to be running to do this, but don't attach your Reader to the PC) and then exit the Sony app and later use Calibre to transfer these to your Reader.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-09-2010 at 11:28 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote