Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: If you were/are a writer, for your latest book you'd rather have:
One million readers all sharing one single copy of the book 21 48.84%
One million buyers of a copy of the book, just one of them actually reading it. 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Well if you are doing it for a living, option B lets you continue doing it for a living. Option A means you are broke or living in your moms basement!
Or have another job and write on the side, as most writers do.

It's not all one thing or another.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I'm not a writer and don't intend to become one but I'll quote Eric Flint.
Quote:
Someone asked me once, in a debate, how I'd react if I discovered that one of my titles—maybe all of them!—had become widely pirated. I started by posing the most extreme case I could imagine.

"You mean, I walk into a drugstore and see that the latest copy of Time magazine has my face on the cover, with a title that reads 'Works of Eric Flint pirated worldwide!' and an article on the inside that tells everybody exactly how to do it?"

"Yes," came the reply, demonstrating that my opponent was no wizard at the art of debate. "What measures would you take?"

"Well," I said, "the very first thing I'd do is get on the phone and call my friend Mike Spehar. He's a retired Air Force pilot, and I'd want his advice on which brand of private jet I should buy to be able to commute easily from the villas I'd be buying in southern France, the coast just south of Barcelona . . . Hm, maybe a penthouse in Manhattan and another one in Paris . . ."

It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

In the real world, the only authors—or musicians, by the way—who get "pirated" in any significant numbers are ones who are already famous and enjoy top sales. (And all the "piracy" is likely to do, even then, is simply boost their sales. See my next essay for a further discussion.) The great problem faced by all authors—musicians are in a very similar position—is the opacity of the book market. The entertainment market in general, actually, even movies. Compared to that problem, all others are fleas standing next to mammoths.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I would really like to make some money someday writing, but I get just as much of a thrill when a reader sends me a note telling me he likes the free book he downloaded and read than I do when somebody buys a copy of one of my books for sale.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #19
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
The biggest egoboo I ever got was finding that someone had posted a quote of mine, from a *fanfic* no less, on their blog under "Favorite Quotes."

That's when I knew I was on to something.

Can't imagine it gets any sweeter than that, and that was *one* person.

A million? Eh. I don't need *that* much ego.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #20
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I chose one million buyers. My first thought was that with sales like that, publishers would be willing to pay for a second book, and maybe the public will read that one!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #21
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
"One million readers all sharing one single copy of the book."

Interestingly, if it takes each reader a week to read on average, a million readers would take 19,230 years.
I suspect most authors would have stopped caring by then.
They share via reading aloud, broadcasticng, photocopy and/or scanning: in a week everybody has got it.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #22
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Interestingly you only need 10,000 fans to make a living as a writer. That's the theoretical number at which charging or asking for donations becomes worthwhile. Below that any mention of money is pointless and will put off more people than it attracts.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #23
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Interestingly you only need 10,000 fans to make a living as a writer. That's the theoretical number at which charging or asking for donations becomes worthwhile. Below that any mention of money is pointless and will put off more people than it attracts.
That's interesting, Moejoe. That makes me wonder how many lulu.com authors sell 10,000 copies.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #24
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Good answer!

I do a fair amount of writing without thought of monetary reward hoping to influence the opinions of family, friends, and sometimes unsuspecting Internet denizens; but if I wrote fiction, I'd want the money!
I want to second Tom. I like this answer too.

------------
Edit: I chose one millions books, but after reading Igorsk's post I think I want to change my vote.

Last edited by Daithi; 11-17-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #25
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
That's interesting, Moejoe. That makes me wonder how many lulu.com authors sell 10,000 copies.
One: Whil Wheaton
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #26
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Option B for me, either I am writing for my own enjoyment then any reader (even one) is welcome or I am writing for a living and then sales matter.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote