Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
Suddenly files won't copy to flash memory-plenty of memory

First I want to thank everybody for your help while I'm getting up and running. I do appreciate it. I feel bad that I've been bringing you so many problems!

I've been copying adobe files to my new flash memory card on the iliad without a problem. All of a sudden, every file I tried to transfer called up a message "Cannot copy "X", directory or file cannot be created." There is plenty of room on the card, I checked. And the Adobe files I'm having trouble with are exactly the same (format wise) as the ones I just transferred before the trouble started. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks again. Lauren
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Are you using a card reader, or the iLiad itself to connect to your computer? Is it a windows computer?

With your card attached to your computer, try running a scandisk on the card. If that doesn't work, copy all your files off the card, format it (with fat or fat32) and copy your files back. That should resolve any card issues.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobwoman View Post
[...] I've been copying adobe files to my new flash memory card on the iliad without a problem. [...]
I would read this as "I'm using the USB connection to write directly to the CF card".

There are issues doing it that way and they are not CF card but iLiad related.

I have experienced this, the filesystem might get corrupted rendering the CF card useless
until reformatting with FAT32.

The smart way is to use a card reader.

Dirk

Last edited by DigiDirk; 08-15-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added the links.
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
Hmm. Never thought that would be a problem

I've always done this--with my Palm, my Kindle and my Sony Reader. This is an example of what is bugging me about the iLiad--it can't do the simplest things simply as the other systems do and has flaws that are obviously fixable since the other readers (that I know of) don't have them.

I actually did the librarian thing, googled the error message and found that fix with reformating. It seems to have worked. I guess now I have to add buying a card reader to the already over-priced cost of my book reader!

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDirk View Post
I would read this as "I'm using the USB connection to write directly to the CF card".

There are issues doing it that way and they are not CF card but iLiad related.

I have experienced this, the filesystem might get corrupted rendering the CF card useless
until reformatting with FAT32.

The smart way is to use a card reader.

Dirk
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote