Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
alphane
alphane began at the beginning.

Device: PB622
Question get "find" on PB622: is it possible? how? (Debian Lenny armel?)

rkomar wrote:
Quote:
Actually, most of the utility programs in the Debian Lenny armel distribution are compatible with the recent PocketBook devices. You can pretty much copy them to the device and use them in the terminal. Some of the more complex programs may not have all of the libraries available on the device, but even in those cases you can copy the libraries over and play with LD_LIBRARY_PATH to run them. I know that find works, because that was one of the first programs I copied over myself.
Hi, I looked up but could not find the said utility programs for that distribution. Would it be working on PB622? if it does, could anyone explain where to find and how to do it ?
I miss the find command a lot.
Thanks in advance.
alphane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I've searched around and can't find the packages for Lenny (5.0.10) anymore. You may have to download the ISO for the distribution and get the packages from that. The ISO files can be found here: http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/debian-installer/

I've attached the copy of find from that distribution here for you, to save you some trouble. There are many other utility programs that will also work, and you should get those from the Debian distribution.
Attached Files
File Type: zip find.zip (69.5 KB, 176 views)
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
alphane

Oh, THANK YOU so very much! It's really great to have taken the time to make it easy for me.
I'm going to try it now...
Old 06-04-2014, 04:17 AM   #4
alphane

"Small" problem and - not too inept, I hope - question:

where do I put it ?? I cannot become root so I cannot write in /bin, nor /sbin or /usr/bin. And for the same reason I cannot permanently change my $PATH. So ?

Or do I have to put it in /mnt/ext1/system/bin and then always use its full path?

Thanks again
Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I put it in /mnt/ext1/system/bin. If I need to use a lot of the utilities in there, I change the path to include that directory. You just need to run the following line in your shell:

Code:
export PATH=/mnt/ext1/system/bin:$PATH
You can type it by hand, or put it in a file (say /mnt/ext1/system/bin/setpath) and "source" it:

Code:
source /mnt/ext1/system/bin/setpath
if that's easier to remember.

The ssh session has that path built into it, so you don't have to do that when using it. It's only in utelnetd or pbterm that you have to add it by hand. Maybe I'll look at adding it automatically to utelnetd, if I can figure out how to do it without busting the other environmental variables.
Advert
Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard

I modified utelnetd to automatically add "/mnt/ext1/system/bin" to the path. If you install the new version, you won't have to bother with setting PATH by hand anymore when you telnet to the device.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #7
alphane

Thanks again for your help.

Following your advice I put "find" in /mnt/ext1/system/bin. However, when I asked the question, my concern was about its use in pbterm. But a strange -very strange- thing happened. I changed the $PATH in pbterm, with export and ... the shell couldn't find the command "find". I had to give the full path to run it ! This baffles me utterly. There must be something obvious but ... what ??

Furthermore, I don't understand what you mean by "source" it. "source" is not a command : I couldn't find it with pbterm. So what is it? Where do I find it? -Probably something I should know but, then, I don't!- And the "setpath" file you suggest to create, I take it this is a script, isn't ? Or not? If it had been a command I would think it was to run initializations at start up. But as I couldn't find it ...

And last about ssh and utelnetd, I'm still working on it - as it is not working! - but I'll post my -alas, many- questions in the thread I started about it. Seems best, isn't it? Anyway, thank you for the change in utelnetd, I'm sure I'll find it nice ... when I get it to work !

Last edited by alphane; 06-05-2014 at 01:50 AM. Reason: wording mistake
Old 06-05-2014, 02:37 AM   #8
rkomar
Wizard

"source" is a built-in command in the bash shell, which is what you get with utelnetd. I forgot that it wasn't available in the shell used by pbterm. In pbterm, you would use the "." command instead of "source":

Code:
. /mnt/ext1/system/bin/setpath
(note the space between the "." and the filename.) I added it to my list of User Commands in pbterm to make it easy to set up the path. Note that the script can have any name and be placed anywhere you are allowed to write a file. It doesn't have to be named /mnt/ext1/system/bin/setpath.

Last edited by rkomar; 06-05-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
alphane

Enlightening : now I understand.

Quote:
Note that the script can have any name and be placed anywhere you are allowed to write a file. It doesn't have to be named /mnt/ext1/system/bin/setpath.
Of course !

Thank you very much
Old 06-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
alphane

About pbterm and the change of $PATH not having effect, id est :
Quote:
I changed the $PATH in pbterm, with export and ... the shell couldn't find the command "find". I had to give the full path to run it !
I still cannot explain but to restart the device solved the problem. When I change the $PATH I can find all the commands in the new $PATH
I'm going to try "source" it now.