Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
floriano
Enthusiast
floriano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dictionary as Vocabulary Trainer?

Hello,

I own a Kindle Keyboard and I really enjoy the inbuilt dictionary feature for looking up words while reading.

I was wondering whether there are other readers/modified Kindle firmwares available that automatically save a history of all words that have been looked up. With that, a custom list of vocabulary that I need to study would be built automatically. It would even be better if a vocabulary trainer, allowing me to easily study and test these words, would be available.

Do you know anything about a feature like that in any reader?
floriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
That's one of the features of the new Paperwhite that's due out soon.

From the features page on Amazon.com:

"Enhance Your Vocabulary
NEW—Words looked up in the dictionary are automatically added to Vocabulary Builder to expand your knowledge and reinforce retention. Swipe through your vocabulary words, quiz yourself with flashcards, and instantly see those words in context."

Older Kindle models may get this feature in firmware updates, not sure the Kindle Keyboard will get it, but you could wait a while and see, and just consider upgrading if it doesn't.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-19-2013 at 12:47 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
floriano
Enthusiast

Wow that sounds really good. Thanks for your replay!

Is there a new paperwhite to come out soon or will this be implemented by a firmware upgrade?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is a new paperwhite coming out this month or next month. They are taking preorders already.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
floriano
Enthusiast

Preordered!
Advert