Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
taceon
taceon began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
Ez Reader pocket pro upgrade?

I've had my ez reader pocket pro for several years. It still works great. But I have noticed recently that many of the pdf files I read are not being displayed anywhere near what is displayed on the computer for same file. No pictures being displayed. The font sizes are not as good as they used to be. Most files I see lately are very tiny pdf fonts so when you view on the reader you have a lot of trouble finding an acceptable view size to read by.

I spent a considerable amount of time yesterday looking for new firmware. I appear to already have the highest english version able to find fall2009. None of the spring 2010 version links worked. I tried a russion cool reader firmware and I can't see that it made any improvement on viewing pdfs.

Has anyone found an upgrade to the adobe software for the ezreader? Or has anyone been able to hack the ezreader to create a newer version of software for reading files?
taceon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't think any recent development is happening.
(And I think you are correct, there seems to be a new flavor of PDF that even my PC, with the latest 'Reader' updates, balks at)

I have been using the last Jinke release (No TTS) to read EPUB.
I like this one over the others because: Like the original release, Last read was 4 Pages long (32 books).

I was having problems seeing the Bookshelf entries because of all the 'eye candy' decorations on the Lbook versions (I did like the Long Press Menu options)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
taceon

Since all the updates are done through the sd card I thought maybe there is a way to update the file. I've some programming in my education so I tried to find a way to open that v5setup.bin file on the sd card as I'm sure that is how you would update anything going into the reader. But I was unable to open the file from any known windows programs used to open .bin files. So then I wondered if it was because the software might be Linux os based and that is why windows wasn't able to open. So far I'm at a loss on options at moment.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
taceon

Theducks, - you can clear that last read list by putting the sd card in computer then deleting the RecentlyRead.sys file. Doing that will clear the entire list so make sure you're ready to do that.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by taceon View Post
Theducks, - you can clear that last read list by putting the sd card in computer then deleting the RecentlyRead.sys file. Doing that will clear the entire list so make sure you're ready to do that.
I don't want to clear it (I did know that), I want all 32 (I have more than 1 book going at a time. Whatever suits my reading mood at the moment )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by taceon View Post
Since all the updates are done through the sd card I thought maybe there is a way to update the file. I've some programming in my education so I tried to find a way to open that v5setup.bin file on the sd card as I'm sure that is how you would update anything going into the reader. But I was unable to open the file from any known windows programs used to open .bin files. So then I wondered if it was because the software might be Linux os based and that is why windows wasn't able to open. So far I'm at a loss on options at moment.
The bin file is binary, hence the term bin. It is compiled firmware for the eBook Reader and you would need source code plus a compiler to modify it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
taceon

I understand that Dale. I was using windows software designed to open bin files to be able to view the data inside. I also tried to do an option that required you to create a .cue file to make the bin file then open as a virtual drive. That also did not work. It showed the drive but said it was unable to open. That is what lead me to believe the data is in a format possibly for linux and that is why windows wouldn't read it. It is a theory on my part.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Not every .bin file is a CD image
The software (as indicated by mentioning of an expected .cue file) operates on exactly such ones.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez reader pocket pro, firmware update, upgrades