Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #1486
Manosk
Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.

Device: iPad 3
Hi,

I've just downloaded this splendid app on my iPad 3 (iOS 6.1.3). As you know, Marvin let you easily change brightness, warmth and contrast of the page. I have some questions about this very feature:

1. I've noticed that the brightness control in Marvin is not app-bound, it sets the brightness for the whole iPad. Could this behaviour interfere with the iOS auto-brightness feature?

2. Are the warmth and contrast settings really app-bound as it seems? If so, what are their default values?

Thanks
Manosk
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #1487
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@jessifanfic: You're right. I misunderstood your question. I'll add overwrite functionality to the wish list. Currently, it is implemented in Dropbox.

@Iznogood: Yes. Embedded fonts are on my to do list. I should have support for them ready within a couple of versions.
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #1488
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
@cguil, saw an update of Marvin. That was a surprise. Will try the changes. Great work.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #1489
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #1490
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
I would love to see you include the Solarized light and dark themes into the app.
http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

I know I could try to build them myself, but it would be great to have them built in so I couldn't screw them up (and so we know that the chosen colors are exactly correct).

Also am curious where on the roadmap vertical scrolling of text lies. Really looking forward to that addition.

Thanks for considering!

Last edited by JTravers; 05-31-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #1491
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kguil I noticed that two fingered swipes stil move to the end of the chapter, then start of next chapter and then end of chapter. In description it states move chapters, so i would expect to go from start of a chapter to the next start of a chapter.

We discussed this allready a while back.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #1492
jessifanfic
jessifanfic began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 3/Marvin App, Iphone 4s/Stanza
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@jessifanfic: You're right. I misunderstood your question. I'll add overwrite functionality to the wish list. Currently, it is implemented in Dropbox.
Thank you so much!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #1493
bubbas45
bubbas45 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Touch, Kindle Fire, Kindle 2, Galaxy S3
Howdy, folks. I browsed the last few pages and did a search or two and did not find this issue. I was looking at the Marvin Tips and Tricks page in the app. I moved out of it to look at something and then went back in. This time I got stuck on the page. I couldn't get out. In the end I had to power my iPad off and then back on, at which point I re-opened Marvin and all was normal.

I tried my best to reproduce the error, but was unable to do so. Which is a good thing, but weird. I just thought I would mention it in case someone else runs into it, so maybe they won't take as long to think about rebooting their device as I did...

bws
Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #1494
kguil
Addict

@JTravers: Interesting. I've made a note of solarized for when I revise how themes work (when I do textures).

@jessifanfic: You're welcome.

@bubbas45: I can't seem to reproduce the problem but I'll be on the lookout. Weren't you able to force-kill Marvin rather than rebooting the whole device?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #1495
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Sounds good looking forward to that possibility. It's already a great App.

Quote:
Victorious56, total page numbering and reading stats is on my to do list. Probably after I finish the iPhone version.

trevgriff, no problem. I recall reading that Apple has a patent for that but I don't think they discourage anyone from using it. I wouldn't mind implementing it once I've finished some high priority updates.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #1496
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
@JTravers: Interesting. I've made a note of solarized for when I revise how themes work (when I do textures).
Thank you so much.

Do you have an idea when you'll be adding vertical scrolling?

Thanks and kind regards.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #1497
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Smile

Hello,

I've finished reading the whole thread. That was quite informative if a tad long... But, anyway, that program is definitively worth it !

Still, I am not sure that I understand the following statement :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
ProfCrash, the easiest way is to move your whole calibre library to your Dropbox folder and then point calibre to that new location. Basically your calibre library is in Dropbox (and also still residing on your computer).
If I put the Calibre Library in Dropbox, how can it also be residing on my computer ?

I am leery of losing access to my library if something happens to Dropbox... And I am among those who like to have all their books on the iPad (Old Breton Proverb : "too much has never been missing"...) as I don't always have access to the Internet.

As for Marvin, itself, what I would really like to see is a closer integration with Calibre.
I have finished moving a large number of eBooks from iBooks back into Calibre and I am polishing up the metadata. What I am missing is a seamless interaction between Calibre and Marvin in order to always have the latest updated version on the iPad. I understood (English is not my mother's tongue... Nor my father's ! ) that this is still a work in progress. Correct ?

Also, will there be provisions in future for localizations in various languages (French for me, but others as well...) ?

I did put an evaluation on the French iTunes Store but it has still to show up.

Keep up the good work and I am going to buy the "Theme Packs" as a way to say thank you and pay for the ongoing work !
Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #1498
kguil
Addict

@Gurvan If you move your calibre library in a Dropbox folder it will sync with Dropbox but still be available on your computer (you will have a local copy and a Dropbox copy). Unless you explicitly delete stuff yourself, your files should be safe.

Expect much tighter calibre integration in the near future.

I'll start working on localisation when I finish the iPhone version of Marvin.

Many, many thanks for supporting Marvin.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #1499
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Ok... I'll keep waiting for that closer Calibre integration then and keep working as I am for now...

As for localisation, I probably can help with French translation if need be.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #1500
maxjens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbas45 View Post
Howdy, folks. I browsed the last few pages and did a search or two and did not find this issue. I was looking at the Marvin Tips and Tricks page in the app. I moved out of it to look at something and then went back in. This time I got stuck on the page. I couldn't get out. In the end I had to power my iPad off and then back on, at which point I re-opened Marvin and all was normal.

I tried my best to reproduce the error, but was unable to do so. Which is a good thing, but weird. I just thought I would mention it in case someone else runs into it, so maybe they won't take as long to think about rebooting their device as I did...

bws
@bubbas45 there are many reasons why the ipad can sometimes stop reacting. Sometimes it is because another proces is not finished yet or that it creates a blockage. I tried to get the same response as you did by switching from and to marvin while in the tips and tricks page. No luck there.

Do you remember to which app you switched?
Closed Thread