Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #31
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
If by "other company" you mean Sony or B&N or Kobo (for example), then the answer is no. I received the Amazon email, but the majority of my agency book purchases have been in EPUB format.
Same here. I pretty much decided I wasn't going to buy any Agency books at full price. My main compromise was that I was able to get some Sony gift cards from Target at 40% off the year that Ageny pricing went into play.

So while I could still buy books at 40% off because of the discount I got on the gift cards, I continued to buy Agency books from Sony only. And I bought a BUNCH of gift cards, so they lasted awhile. But once they ran out....I don't think I bought more than half-a-dozen Agency priced (full price) ebooks after that.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Amazingly they actually had a news story on the local TV news about this! WOW! Ebooks are now Mainstream!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I wonder if there will be an option to donate your refund to be used for children who needs reading material?
If you opt to receive a check (instructions in the email) rather than store-credit, your options for donating the funds should be quite limitless.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #34
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Genuine, but emails promising money have to be treated with caution. Weblinks don't always take you to the web address shown, and attachments can be malware.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #35
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you opt to receive a check (instructions in the email) rather than store-credit, your options for donating the funds should be quite limitless.
True, I just thought it would have been nice if Amazon had offered that as an option.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #36
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Now I got one from Sony as well, or rather from the State Attorney General.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I received this email (from do_not_reply@vertismail.com):

Quote:
Benefits from an Attorney General E-books Settlement Fund

Para una notificación en Español, llamar o visitar nuestro website.

Settlement ID Number: XXX

Records indicate that you are eligible for a payment from Settlements reached by the State Attorneys General with E-book publishers Hachette, HarperCollins and Simon & Schuster. The Settlements resolve an antitrust lawsuit about the price of electronic books (“E-books”). Sony has not been sued in this case. It has provided information to the Claims Administrator to send this notice as a service to its customers.

What the Settlements Provide

The Settlements create a $69 million fund for payments to consumers who purchased qualifying E-books from April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012. If the Court approves the Settlements, eligible consumers like you will receive payments. The amount of your payment has been determined based on the qualifying E-book purchases identified by Sony in your E-reader account.

How to Receive your Benefit

In order to receive a payment from the Settlements, you will need to submit a Claim Form with your name, address, and the Settlement ID Number above. You can file a Claim Form either online or by mail. Further information on how to file a Claim Form is available at the Settlement Website, www.EBookAGSettlements.com. Claim Forms must be filed online or postmarked by December 12, 2012. To complete your Claim Form, you will need only your name, address, and unique Settlement ID number listed at the top of this email. (If you bought E-books from more than one retailer, you may receive notices with different instructions about whether you will receive a credit or need to file a Claim Form for that retailer. You will have a separate claim for each retailer and you should follow the specific instructions from each one.)

Your Other Rights

You can choose to exclude yourself from the Settlements and keep your right to sue on your own. If you exclude yourself, you can't receive any benefits from the Settlements. If you don't exclude yourself, you can submit objections about the Settlements.

Your written Exclusion Form or objections must be postmarked by December 12, 2012. Please visit the Settlement website for detailed information on how to submit a valid Exclusion Form or objection.

The Court will hold a hearing on February 8, 2013 at 10 a.m. to consider whether to approve the Settlements. You or your own lawyer may ask to appear and speak at the hearing.

For more detailed information:
Call 1-866-621-4153 or Visit www.EBookAGSettlements.com

Last edited by John F; 10-15-2012 at 10:01 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #38
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yep, me too.

Too bad, this page make it clear non US residents can get noting.
https://ebooksagsettlements.com/FileaClaim.aspx
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #39
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Sony are idiots seriously why would you opt to send a customer a cheque which they can then spend on whatever instead of giving them a store credit which forces them to spend it on more books makes no business sense whatsoever.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #40
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Ebook Settlement Email from "Administrator@vertismail.com"?

Did anyone receive an email, similar to the Amazon one, about the ebook settlement that claims to be from 'an Attorney General Ebooks Settlement Fund?' I fear that this is a phishing scheme because it wants me to provide personal information at their website.

Copy of the email:

***EMAIL BEGINS***
Benefits from an Attorney General E-books Settlement Fund

Para una notificación en Español, llamar o visitar nuestro website.

Settlement ID Number: *********(REDACTED)

Records indicate that you are eligible for a payment from Settlements reached by the State Attorneys General with E-book publishers Hachette, HarperCollins and Simon & Schuster. The Settlements resolve an antitrust lawsuit about the price of electronic books (“E-books”). Sony has not been sued in this case. It has provided information to the Claims Administrator to send this notice as a service to its customers.

What the Settlements Provide

The Settlements create a $69 million fund for payments to consumers who purchased qualifying E-books from April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012. If the Court approves the Settlements, eligible consumers like you will receive payments. The amount of your payment has been determined based on the qualifying E-book purchases identified by Sony in your E-reader account.

How to Receive your Benefit

In order to receive a payment from the Settlements, you will need to submit a Claim Form with your name, address, and the Settlement ID Number above. You can file a Claim Form either online or by mail. Further information on how to file a Claim Form is available at the Settlement Website, www.EBookAGSettlements.com. Claim Forms must be filed online or postmarked by December 12, 2012. To complete your Claim Form, you will need only your name, address, and unique Settlement ID number listed at the top of this email. (If you bought E-books from more than one retailer, you may receive notices with different instructions about whether you will receive a credit or need to file a Claim Form for that retailer. You will have a separate claim for each retailer and you should follow the specific instructions from each one.)

Your Other Rights

You can choose to exclude yourself from the Settlements and keep your right to sue on your own. If you exclude yourself, you can't receive any benefits from the Settlements. If you don't exclude yourself, you can submit objections about the Settlements.

Your written Exclusion Form or objections must be postmarked by December 12, 2012. Please visit the Settlement website for detailed information on how to submit a valid Exclusion Form or objection.

The Court will hold a hearing on February 8, 2013 at 10 a.m. to consider whether to approve the Settlements. You or your own lawyer may ask to appear and speak at the hearing.

For more detailed information:
Call 1-866-621-4153 or Visit www.EBookAGSettlements.com
***EMAIL ENDS***
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yep, me too.

Too bad, this page make it clear non US residents can get noting.
https://ebooksagsettlements.com/FileaClaim.aspx
I'm not certain why anyone would even hope non-US residents might be affected? It was a US court decision concerning US publishing companies potentially breaking US laws centered around their contracts with US retailers.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #42
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not certain why anyone would even hope non-US residents might be affected? It was a US court decision concerning US publishing companies potentially breaking US laws centered around their contracts with US retailers.
Because we bought books from these US company.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #43
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Here's another article about this. I haven't seen it posted yet. B&N buyers will get something too. http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...ettlement.html
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Because we bought books from these US company.
Did you? Did you jump through technological geo-restrictive hoops to make these purchases directly though US ebook retailers, or did you purchase the ebooks the normal way?... Through foreign (to the US) subsidiaries licensed to sell the ebooks in your country. A country that is bound by entirely different laws and entirely different contracts between publisher/retailer?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #45
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
There's already a thread on this here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193747
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote