Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Question 6" EZReader - technical questions.

Being as I enjoy mine daily, when I found one for sale as 'non-working' for cheap, I grabbed it.
Good screen, good battery & case, but not working.

When it came I checked it out & as suspected, battery was dead.
So I charged it - charge light came on & it set there a while as it should.

Sometime later I heard some chirping & looked at it - charge light was off.
Curious...I pressed the power button - it went green, red, chirped, & then off.
Resetting has the same effect.
I'm leaving it on the charger anyhow just in case that helps somehow.

Questions:
1. Does anyone know what the described sequence says about it's condition ?

2. How does one go about opening the case so as to see it's guts ?

3. Are there any DIY/How-To things for this reader hanging around ?

Thanks.
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The first thing I would try would be to reload the firmware. You can download the Jinke one for a test. Is it a 3 or a 3+.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'd say it might be having a bad battery, or some waterdamage inside.
If the device works flawlessly on the adapter, it's most likely the battery.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Thanks for the replies folks.
I guess my OP was not descriptive enough...sorry.

The reader did not operate or respond; all I got was the shifting charge LED & chirping.

Now, many hours later, it actually booted up and is responding quite normally - so I will go with the idea that it was a 100% empty battery (for now...).

It is the oldest 6" EZReader I've seen, from 2008 according to the info screen.

Since I have a choice of f/w versions from the spare I got some months ago, I'll consider upgrading it to newer f/w at some point after checking to see that it works normally & holds a charge.

If it does turn out to be bad somehow though - that'll be OK as it'll be spare parts to keep around in case there is breakage.

Thanks !
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Thanks for the replies folks.
I guess my OP was not descriptive enough...sorry.

The reader did not operate or respond; all I got was the shifting charge LED & chirping.

Now, many hours later, it actually booted up and is responding quite normally - so I will go with the idea that it was a 100% empty battery (for now...).

It is the oldest 6" EZReader I've seen, from 2008 according to the info screen.

Since I have a choice of f/w versions from the spare I got some months ago, I'll consider upgrading it to newer f/w at some point after checking to see that it works normally & holds a charge.

If it does turn out to be bad somehow though - that'll be OK as it'll be spare parts to keep around in case there is breakage.

Thanks !
A full charge can take 14 HOURS using the high current USB type charger (not a USB port on a computer).

IIRC the 6" uses a common cell phone battery (unlike the 5" which has a custom battery, w/lead )

I am not sure about the Chirping. That could be the CPU waking up (and sounding LOW Battery, LOW Battery ) as the battery voltage got near operational range.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
dismantle, ezreader, frozen