Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Question Firmware downloads...anywhere anymore ?

Hi Folks.
I just got a very nice used 6" EZ Reader - but in checking it out I notice that I really don't care for the OI f/w it currently has.

Searched around a bunch and it looks like the choices are sort of limited to the Hanlin or LBook f/w as Astak has pulled all their support/downloads/etc. from their site.

Looks like the last official f/w was called Astak_EB06EZ_2_10_090109.rar - and I wonder if anyone here has a backup copy of this - or even a newer one if such exists that they might help me out with ?

Thanks.
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Hi Folks.
I just got a very nice used 6" EZ Reader - but in checking it out I notice that I really don't care for the OI f/w it currently has.

Searched around a bunch and it looks like the choices are sort of limited to the Hanlin or LBook f/w as Astak has pulled all their support/downloads/etc. from their site.

Looks like the last official f/w was called Astak_EB06EZ_2_10_090109.rar - and I wonder if anyone here has a backup copy of this - or even a newer one if such exists that they might help me out with ?

Thanks.
Is that a 6 or a 6plus model?

The 6" uses different firmware than the 5" so don't get them wrong.

In most cases on my 5", the UI changes very little.
L-book got 'cute' with a binder look (Bookshelf list ) and background that reduces contrast (and IMHO readability).

I currently run the Jinke FW
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Hi.
I don't see any sort of '+' or 'plus' on it anyplace, so I'm guessing it's just a plain 6 ?

Trying the Jinke f/w on it right now - but would still like to have a copy of the original f/w as it is what I got used to having on my daily reader...

Thanks !
Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
IIRC the difference between the Jinke and Astak firmwares was the branding. LBook put in some extra development in their release of firmware and some good improvements were made.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

I had seen the list of f/w in the MobileRead FAQ - but when I tried to make sense of the offerings at the BeBook & LBook sites I found them to be very confusing.

The Hanlin site was much easier for me - which is funny considering how their language is soooo not english !
I did get the download from there but the single file I wanted took a bunch of tries before it would complete for me.

I am all set now - even have the original one courtesy of the very nice man the latest reader came from - and I suspect that the Hanlin f/w will be very good for me too,
but only time will tell.

If it turns out to be funny I can always zap in the old, familiar OEM one, so it's all good now.
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
2.20 is the last release from Astak and from Hanlin for the original V3. It is a good release and I use it on my Astak V3 (actually it is my Wife's reader). They are the same except for the start logo. The lBook has some improvements in the cool reader beyond the version from Jinke but that is really the only difference. I believe this is also the same on from BeBook called the 2009 version. I think the 2010 version is for the V3+. If so the binary will be called v3a instead of v3.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
We got to be careful to mention which device we are talking about.
There are plenty different devices, and what may work for the V3,may not work for the 5" EZ Reader Pro.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
We got to be careful to mention which device we are talking about.
There are plenty different devices, and what may work for the V3,may not work for the 5" EZ Reader Pro.
Of course, the hardware is different thus the firmware is different. There is the V3, V5, V3+ all similar but different. The last two have TTS from Astak but not the first one. In general they all support the same formats but the latest can handle changing fonts a little better.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astak ez reader, firmware