Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #46
R3rr0
R3rr0 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
Hi AlPe.

Can I have IT-->IT and EN-->IT for Cybook Odyssey? I try to have assistance from bookeen but they are missing, and I'm not so able in python code ecc.. If there are already, sorry, send me the link and I will download them.

Thank you for your work.
R3rr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #47
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Dictionaries from Bookeen: http://176.31.234.27/dic/

Dictionaries from Simplicissimus Book Farm: http://www.ultimabooks.it/cybook-odyssey-dizionari
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #48
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight, Calibre, Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8
Would it be possible to take the (swedish) dictionaries from the AdLibris Letto (which is an Odyssey sold as Letto)? In the HD Frontlight the dictionary files are accessible from browsing the unit.

If someone has a Letto maybe they could check?
nlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #49
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
The French Littré is not accessible. There is a "Dictionary" folder, but it does not contain the imbedded dictionary
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #50
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlundberg View Post
Would it be possible to take the (swedish) dictionaries from the AdLibris Letto (which is an Odyssey sold as Letto)? In the HD Frontlight the dictionary files are accessible from browsing the unit.
It depends. If the dictionary is in the system partition, as Godzil mentioned for the default French dictionary, then no. If the dictionary is in the user-accessible partition, in the Dictionaries/ directory, then yes. Unfortunately I do not own an AdLibris Letto*.

* PS: fun fact. "Letto", in Italian, is the past participle of "to read" (straight from Latin "lego, legis, legi, lectum, legere") but it also means "bed".
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #51
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

I pushed a new version of Penelope (1.19), which supports merging multiple dictionaries into a single one.

Docs and files:
http://www.albertopettarin.it/penelope.html
http://code.google.com/p/penelope-dictionary-converter/
Old 05-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #52
_Tom_
_Tom_ began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight
Hi,

Great work on the converter, I was able to use it to convert the OED 2nd. Ed. to Odyssey format. One problem with the dictionary was that it had usage examples surrounded by multiple (up to eight) <blockquote> tags, which resulted in a column of text about 5 characters wide on the e-Reader display. I used Penelope to convert the stardict file to XML, used sed and regex to get rid of the usage examples and tidy up the indentation in the XML file, then Penelope again to convert to Odyssey format. Worked out pretty well!

My next problem is special characters. The dictionary has phonetic pronunciation guides and other glyphs that don't show up properly on the e-Reader (Cybook Odyssey Frontlight HD). Does anyone know how I can get these to work? Should I just replace the standard sans serif font on the Odyssey with one containing the glyphs?

Thanks,

Tom
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #53
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tom_ View Post
Hi,

Great work on the converter, I was able to use it to convert the OED 2nd. Ed. to Odyssey format. One problem with the dictionary was that it had usage examples surrounded by multiple (up to eight) <blockquote> tags, which resulted in a column of text about 5 characters wide on the e-Reader display. I used Penelope to convert the stardict file to XML, used sed and regex to get rid of the usage examples and tidy up the indentation in the XML file, then Penelope again to convert to Odyssey format. Worked out pretty well!
You are welcome.

Tip: for editing the input material, you could have used the "custom input parser" option (assuming you know some Python).

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tom_ View Post
My next problem is special characters. The dictionary has phonetic pronunciation guides and other glyphs that don't show up properly on the e-Reader (Cybook Odyssey Frontlight HD). Does anyone know how I can get these to work? Should I just replace the standard sans serif font on the Odyssey with one containing the glyphs?
I am afraid that you cannot embed/change the font of the dictionary, since I believe the dictionary definitions are shown always with the same font, disregarding the actual font used for rendering the eBook. From what I see, I guess that font is in the system partition, so you cannot access it for replacing it.

As I always say, Bookeen have not published an official specification for their dictionaries, which is quite funny, because the investment to do that is nearly zero, and they can only gain (good PR, new dictionaries) from it.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #54
_Tom_
_Tom_ began at the beginning.

AlPe,

Thanks for the reply. I'll email Bookeen. To be honest I'm a bit surprised that they chose a font that doesn't include standard dictionary symbols to display their dictionaries...!

Tom
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #55
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Good luck with that. I asked them for official specs, even in "confidential form", to no avail. And then they send their customers who ask for dictionaries in languages that they do not officially support, to Penelope's web site...
Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #56
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
I just wanted to thank you for the great work! I don't know if I'm going to really use Penelope as my dictionaries are in formats not implemented, but just getting information on working files format is great!
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #57
guigui
guigui began at the beginning.

Hi,

I discovered your script many months ago. But never managed to use it.

I never took the time to ask you for help before.

I'd like to convert en english-french dictionnary to use it on my Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight.

I don't know anything about Python. I'm just a random user of this device who wanna be able to read english books without having to open a paper dictionnary or Google translate every other page.

Since I'm a total noob in Python, I'm gonna describe precisely step by step what I tried, to let you know where I could be wrong, hoping you or someone else can help me.

So I installed python 2.7.5. It's at the root of the C: drive of the (windows 8 64 bits) PC.

I downloaded Penelope 1.19 (put the folder in a random location, does it matter ?) and added empty.idx in the same folder.

As well as the english-french dictionnary found on this page

http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/freedict.de/? , that gives me 3 files called :
dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra.dict.dz
dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra.idx
dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra.ifo

Then I followed that help page : http://wiki.penelope-dictionary-conv...onversion.wiki

So I opened python.exe. And typed exactly : <code language="python">$ python penelope.py -p dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra -f en -t en</code>

And that gives me that error message : no Python documentation found for '<code language=python>$ python penelope.py -p
dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra -f en -t en</code>'

What should I do to make it work please ?

Last edited by guigui; 07-11-2013 at 06:52 PM.
guigui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #58
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui View Post
So I opened python.exe. And typed exactly : <code language="python">$ python penelope.py -p dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra -f en -t en</code>
The readme file apparently contains some leftover html code that you're not supposed to enter. If you installed ActivePython, all you have to do is get a command prompt, go to folder that the dictionary files are in and then only enter:

penelope.py -p dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra -f en -t fr

You can also simply create a text file with the above line in it and save it in the same folder as the dictionary files with the extension .bat or .cmd and double-click on it.

Note:
You'll have to use -t fr,. because it's an English-French dictionary. Also you might have to extract www.freedict.de_eng-fra.dict from www.freedict.de_eng-fra.dz with 7Zip.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #59
guigui
guigui began at the beginning.

Thank you for your help.

I finally made it !

I installed Active Python and restarted my PC.
I didn't need to unzip www.freedict.de_eng-fra.dz

The Penelope folder has to contain the dictionnary files and has to be on the same drive as Python (may seem obvious, but I made the mistake, so...).

I finaly end up using Babylon dictionnary that I found here . The other one is too small. Babylon has actual (small though) articles. Whereas the other dictionnary just provide a one word translation, and miss many many word.

It's unfortunate Cybook are not moving their butt to provide us a user friendly tool to get and convert dictionnaries. It seems like they don't care about their customers too much.

But anyway, no I'm gonna be able to improve my english reading simple english books. Yea ! Gonna start with this childish novel I heard about : Charlotte's web.

Thank you Doitsu and AIPe.
guigui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #60
smoker
smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smoker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Done. Since we are not sure that the dictionary can be redistributed, I refrain from posting it. You can ask for it via PM, though.
Hi, if this is still available, could you also forward it to me?

Thank you!
smoker is offline   Reply With Quote