Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Iocane
Iocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600
Adding .rar 'format' as rar.

Short question:

Is it possible to add a .rar file with a *single* format (i.e. one PDF and nothing else) to an existing book and have it *remain* a rar, without autoextracting and adding it as a PDF?

Longer Explanation:

I'm working my way through my library, with the goal of eventually converting everything to an .odt file.

Anything that isn't a quick convert due to bad formatting, headers and the like, I'm exporting, wrapping, and adding as a .rar file. Partly to streamline formats and partly to save a smidge of space.

I'm fussy about my formats, my goal is to eventually have two formats only: .odt's for converted books, and .rars for everything else.

Right now I've been using the workaround of exporting the bad format into a folder that has a 0 size text file. I add the two files to a .rar file, which then gets added to the book entry.

As I do have a mostly suitable workaround, this isn't a huge deal, I'm just wondering if there's some tweak or plugin that I've missed.

Thanks for your help!

Iocane
Iocane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A way to achieve this is to add a small dummy file to the rar as well as the file you want stored. When you add a .rar file containing more than one file it seems to get added 'as is'.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Iocane
Iocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm already using a dummy file, I created a 0 size txt file that I rar with the original. I just was wondering if there was a way to avoid that step.

Io
Iocane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iocane View Post
I'm already using a dummy file, I created a 0 size txt file that I rar with the original. I just was wondering if there was a way to avoid that step.

Io
You can drag and drop some non-standard 'formats' into the metadata window. You might try a second extension (mybook.rar.2wrk) and see what happens.
Calibre won't do anything to those files (except complain on check, about unknown. Add to the check exclude list). you will have to open the containing folder (tap o) to grab the file. It must be added normally when ready (standard format name).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote