Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #91
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Exciting stuff! But where can I find Yifanlu's latest fix? The files from the first post look the same to me. Or is it something we can correct in the source files? If so, what would those changes be?
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #92
modusop
modusop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
He must have been testing it out on me - he'll probably post it on the thread when he's done working out the bugs!
modusop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #93
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Updated, added the fixes I talked about. From what testers told me, there are issues regarding volume controls and 3G. Tell me if you have similar problems or other issues.

Also, please tell me if the package isn't noticed by the Kindle. It might do that.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #94
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Yifanlu, thanks for the update!

Unfortunately, I have still problems with the update creation which ends prematurely even with NO_TTS or with all TTS related lines commented away. I have tried five times now. It is the copying of the large usr directory which is unsuccessful. I have tried to copy that directory first but with same result. It then jumps over the copying of the other directories. Since it sometimes (but rarely) works I wonder if it can be a memory issue. Maybe shortage of RAM, an integer overflow due to too many files or problems with the speed of SD-memory leading to bit errors.

I will of course continue to try to create an upgrade in order to test your new package

Last edited by DickeFix; 04-25-2011 at 06:52 PM.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #95
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I remember having a hell of a time backing up the TTS stuff when I did a backup of my K3, back in the 3.0.2 day. I'm not sure how I ended up working around that, but I think mostly by hammering at it with rsync with the --partial switch enabled ^^.

No idea what might be the root of the issue, but, AFAIR, my K2i was way less finnicky .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-26-2011 at 12:58 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #96
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

NiLuJe, Thanks for the tip. I tried to replace

cp -a /usr ${ROOT}/

with these three lines

rsync --partial -a /usr ${ROOT}/
rsync -a /usr ${ROOT}/

These rsync lines were done just within seconds as opposed to copy which took at least 15 minutes so I don´t think anything got copied. The update was however generated but when I tried it on the DXG it got stuck at start page and I had to recover.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #97
azuwis
azuwis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Why not generate rootfs-host.img from host and rootfs-client.img from client, and then run the patch process in a normal Linux box?
azuwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #98
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
NiLuJe, Thanks for the tip. I tried to replace

cp -a /usr ${ROOT}/

with these three lines

rsync -a /usr ${ROOT}/

These rsync lines were done just within seconds as opposed to copy which took at least 15 minutes so I don´t think anything got copied. The update was however generated but when I tried it on the DXG it got stuck at start page and I had to recover.
The Kindle doesn't have rsync. I think usbnetwork includes rsync though. If what NiLuJe said is true, I guess I can just include rsync with the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuwis View Post
Why not generate rootfs-host.img from host and rootfs-client.img from client, and then run the patch process in a normal Linux box?
You can, but what's the fun in that
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #99
DickeFix
Enthusiast

Yifanlu, I think it is a good idea to include rsync. Most often it is the copying of /usr that fails but sometimes it succeeds with /usr and halts at /opt if I do the copying in that order. I think it is the large transfers from the Kindle memory to itself that gives bit errors that the cp process can not handle and gives up. Unfortunately I am a complete newbie on Linux so I hope you can fix it.

I guess the main motivation for doing everything on the Kindle is that end users without Linux should be able to use the package.

Last edited by DickeFix; 04-26-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #100
nerd
nerd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I have only kindle 2i and i would like to test firmware 3.1 on my device. Could someone share your rootfs.img or show me where i can download it pls ?
nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #101
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that when I said 'hammering', I *mean* hammering, I had to restart it at least a good dozen times... >_<".
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #102
DickeFix
Enthusiast

I have tried many, many times to update now. Three times it passed copy_new_files but then it instead aborted during add_old_files.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #103
qinbill
qinbill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
I have tried many, many times to update now. Three times it passed copy_new_files but then it instead aborted during add_old_files.
Are you doing that on K3g? I did it on my K3g. It stopped many times. I borrowed my friends K3w. It works fine to generate Update file.
qinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #104
DickeFix
Enthusiast

Qinbill, that is interesting. Yes I tried to do it on a K3G without success. I wonder if it is indeed a difference between K3G and K3w or a difference between individual units of Kindle 3 irrespective of model. Anyway it is very strange, small variations in the program, e.g. addition of a new line for logging the progress, seem to affect how far the update progress works until it fails.

Anyway, I got help to compile the update and I can report that firmware 3.1 works to 95% on the Kindle DXG after a boot and manual restart!

The pdf reader, e-book reader, volume buttons and autorotation works perfectly!

The 3G works partially. I see the service providers by tapping 311 in settings screen so reception works but I am unable to connect or register at Amazon.

USB port does not work. When I attach USB cable Kindle goes into USB mode and the device comes up on computer screen but it does not mount so I can´t transfer any files. This problem may be due to interference with usbnetwork. I will try to uninstall it.

The mp3 player and text-to-speech function gives an crackling noise even when the file stopped playing. It sounds like dust or static electricity on an old LP record.

Yifanlu is close to get this working! It would be great with especially the webkit webbrowser on the Kindle DXG. It is so much better than the original K2 browser.

Last edited by DickeFix; 04-27-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #105
modusop
modusop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
DickeFix's results mirror mine, down to the service providers.
modusop is offline   Reply With Quote