Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #91
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
[QUOTE=4691mls;2338288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

AUGGH! I tried to do the above process again just now, went in via the mobile version of the site and checked out a book, thought I would then log into the full version to be able to download the book on my PC, but every time I try to access the full version of library web site, it takes me to the mobile version. I've tried clearing the history and temporary internet files and restarting the PC. Anybody have any other ideas to make the stupid library site recognize that I am logging in from a PC?
See if this helps:

BPL Mobile

BPL Classic

I was having the same problem you were. Took me a while to figure out how to switch between them.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #92
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
thanks, but I use the NC library, not Brooklyn.

I had a bookmark saved for the full version, but even clicking that brings me only the
mobile version. Also tried googling NC Digital Library and clicking on the result but it still gives me the mobile version.

I thought I had found a nice workaround - use the mobile site, which still has list view, to browse and check out, then use the full site to download - but now I can't get to the full site. Since the mobile site will not let me download the book onto my PC, I won't be able to download the book until I can take my Sony reader someplace that has wifi. (I've asked for a wifi router for Christmas, but until then, I don't have wifi at home).
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #93
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Oops -- for some reason I thought you were using Brooklyn.

I share your frustration, though. For some reason the bookmark defaults to the last site used and it's tricky switching between them.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #94
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

googling around trying to find any other information, I found a page about the Wisconsin library's mobile and full sites which indicates what part of the URL changes, and it's similar to the NC library URL, but when I tried to change those numbers it changed them right back to the mobile URL!

but in case the info works for anybody else, here's the link to the Wisconsin info
http://www.wplc.info/2012/11/1101/
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #95
DianNC
Banned

Changing the numbers is what works for me. Here are the full paths for BPL's sites and you can spot the numbers that need to be changed in order to switch:

http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...-DEA86D0A9816/40/20/en/Default.htm Mobile

http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...-DEA86D0A9816/10/50/en/default.htm Classic
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #96
4691mls
Wizard

That worked! Thank you so much!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #97
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Bah! R.E.A.D.S just switched over an hour ago! I hate it. They've remove the cart completely before I had an hour to decide while browsing which books to check out and now it's immediate. This sucks and all the browsing just to get to a genre and then it's no longer listed by added to site but relevancy. DO NOT LIKE!!
I had emailed my local library with my comments about the new site. They told me this inregard to the new "bookshelf":

"Your bookshelf is now your bookbag – until you finish the checkout process you can return anything from the bookshelf. So you can put a book on the bookshelf and then take it off – but I think it’s probably easier to use the wish list. I usually put anything I’m interested in on the wish list, and then check out from the wish list."

Too bad the wish list is now so difficult to use....

They did also tell me this: "Every library on the NCDL is assembling their comments for Overdrive, I’ll be sure and include yours."

So maybe they are getting a lot of comments. Let's hope so!

Last edited by 4691mls; 12-11-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: add something
Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #98
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Changing the numbers is what works for me. Here are the full paths for BPL's sites and you can spot the numbers that need to be changed in order to switch:

http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...-DEA86D0A9816/40/20/en/Default.htm Mobile

http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...-DEA86D0A9816/10/50/en/default.htm Classic
Oh, I've GOT to try this when I get home for my library! Thanks!

EDIT: Bummer. I misread this entirely. I thought "Classic" would give me the old interface back.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 12-11-2012 at 11:38 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #99
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
The same nincompoop that designed Windows 8?
My office started rolling out Windows 7 about the same time I built a Windows 8 PC at home, and I like Windows 8 better

However, I have to agree that there are cosmetic similarities between the Windows 8 modern desktop, and the new Overdrive. So this thread may be a bad sign for Microsoft.

The test will be whether a year from now we are nostalgic for the Overdrive of old.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #100
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Finally got around to using the new Overdrive. Terrible, just awful.

Why would anyone think it a good idea to remove critical information from pages, forcing users to perform endless click-throughs just to place a hold or see whether an item is available?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #101
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Finally got around to using the new Overdrive. Terrible, just awful.

Why would anyone think it a good idea to remove critical information from pages, forcing users to perform endless click-throughs just to place a hold or see whether an item is available?
Yes, especially when each page is so slow to load!

I really miss being able to see, while browsing, a brief description of the book and the name of its series, if any.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #102
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
They are doing some work on the site. I see a few broken image links and what in the world is "Overdrive Read"? I got this as an option next to ePub and Kindle for the book I just downloaded.

Are you sure you did not select "Kindle ebook" instead of "ePub" when you placed a hold/if you placed a hold? I know some titles are only available in ePub, but I have never seen it the other way round. Hope this is going to get resolved for you!!
No definitely ePub. I've had two email replies from Brooklyn neither of which has made the slightest difference. In the drop down thing there is no box for ePub, and now they tell me to look on my Bookshelf and there is no Bookshelf. I've tried to check out a new book book and it shows as available but there is nothing to click on now to download it. when I click on the cover image it just brings up a tiny image in another window.
I'm probably not explaining all this very well but I'm hitting brick walls all the time.
So I've written to them again.
Duh.
I was so happy when I got access to this library and have been having a great and easy reading experience, now this.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #103
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
I've tried to check out a new book book and it shows as available but there is nothing to click on now to download it...
That happened to me yesterday when I tried to check out a book on the mobile site. I had to quickly switch over to the PC desktop version to get a download button.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #104
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
That happened to me yesterday when I tried to check out a book on the mobile site. I had to quickly switch over to the PC desktop version to get a download button.
Well DianNC re my post #102 I have finally managed to download the two books I wanted to onto my Kobo but what a headache and so many clicks needed. it's nearly done my brain in. I can't believe what Overdrive has done , it's such a retrogade step, and made me feel that any future borrowings will be hit or miss.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #105
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I had emailed my local library with my comments about the new site. They told me this inregard to the new "bookshelf":

"Your bookshelf is now your bookbag – until you finish the checkout process you can return anything from the bookshelf. So you can put a book on the bookshelf and then take it off – but I think it’s probably easier to use the wish list. I usually put anything I’m interested in on the wish list, and then check out from the wish list."
There is no checkout process now. They did away with that.
Now when you add something to your bookshelf it takes down your available slots. The old cart I could put more books in then slots available and do early returns to free up the slots needed now I have to have tons of windows open instead. Bah This sucks.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote