Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #2611
Ste_95
Ste_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Never reboot with a custom .bin. I meant try the 'Update our Kindle' link after a reboot, not reboot while the .bin sits there on the Kindle .
Mmmm... How am I supposed to "Update my Kindle" after a reboot if I should not reboot after I have copied the file? I did it like this: copied the update file to the Kindle, unplugged from computer, rebooted the device, then tried the Update Kindle link. If I did not copy the file before the rebooting, the link would be grayed out, and it would be just like I did nothing. What am I doing/understanding wrong?

Quote:
Nlso, since you used a funny third-party to install your stuff: do you have a linkjail folder on the root of your Kindle (alongside linkss)?
No, nothing else on the Kindle

Quote:
Also, what do you mean, exactly, by 'nothing'?
Yes, sorry: that it does not update and returns a U007 error

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapherd
please ssh to your kindle and check "/etc/uks"
you may view this blog before and change it to "/etc/uks.disable"
Is it necessary? That would need me to install another hack, and it looks like it is actually because of hacks that I cannot update to 3.4. I would rather solve this problem first, and then get that luring SSH access, than reverse
Ste_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #2612
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Ste_95: Restart ([HOME] > [MENU] > Settings > [MENU] > Restart) first, then copy the .bin, unplug & UYK . If the UYK link is greyed out, it means you've put the wrong file for your Kindle model, check your S/N again.

If you don't have a linkjail folder, you've been uninstalling the wrong jailbreak all along. Uninstall Yifan's, then reboot before trying anything else.

And, no, the changes grapherd made are (a bad idea) that's (hopefully) not widespread, and you'd be aware of it if you'd done it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #2613
asturnauta
asturnauta began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Hello.

I have a Kindle 3 3g bought in Amazon.com (serial number B006).

I have tried to jailbreak it with update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3g_install.bin, but in the update report an error (U004) and kindle restart without installing the update.

My kindle is on firmware 3.4 and i never jailbreak it in the past.

What's the problem?

What can i do?

Thanks.
asturnauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #2614
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by asturnauta View Post
Hello.

I have a Kindle 3 3g bought in Amazon.com (serial number B006).

I have tried to jailbreak it with update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3g_install.bin, but in the update report an error (U004) and kindle restart without installing the update.

My kindle is on firmware 3.4 and i never jailbreak it in the past.

What's the problem?

What can i do?

Thanks.
You need the update package with "-3.2.1" in its file name? Read the README file. It is also in the first post Jailbreak spoiler.

@NiLuJe: You really should document that somewhere to prevent these problems.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-25-2012 at 09:25 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #2615
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@asturnauta:
Quote:
Note for Kindle 3.2.1, 3.3 & 3.4 Users

Please use the file corresponding to your kindle model suffixed by -3.2.1, the other one won't work on these newer FW versions, while the -3.2.1 file won't work on older FW versions. Check your Settings page if you're unsure of what FW your Kindle is running.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #2616
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@NiLuJe: Maybe a larger font? Do we have "blink" available?

Hmm...
Write that text in Gimp - clone multiple layers - make color changes per layer - save as an animated *.gif - include in post as an in-line image.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #2617
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: In Comic Sans MS? With sparkles? Canary yellow on a royal blue background? (and a welcome to 1992 banner? )
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #2618
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, people will still not see that warning when they don't read the first post or the README file. I think NiLuJe really needs it in his signature on all his posts.

But then they probably won't read his signature, so perhaps he should use that animated GIF that knc1 mentioned as his avatar. But will that be enough to get noticed?

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-25-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #2619
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
@knc1: In Comic Sans MS? With sparkles? Canary yellow on a royal blue background? (and a welcome to 1992 banner? )
Pulsating yellow/orange on an emerald green.
Scale the font sizes on each layer, to perhaps emulate a 'nuke explosion with the text.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #2620
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Maybe host them somewhere else and have a notice popup before they are allowed to download the files.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #2621
Ste_95
Ste_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
@Ste_95: If you don't have a linkjail folder, you've been uninstalling the wrong jailbreak all along. Uninstall Yifan's, then reboot before trying anything else.
Thanks A LOT, that solved the problem. I uninstalled the jailbreak and was finally able to update to firmware 3.4. I will jailbreak again with the one available in this topic

Quote:
And, no, the changes grapherd made are (a bad idea) that's (hopefully) not widespread, and you'd be aware of it if you'd done it .
I may look at them when I have a couple of spare days, I would really love to get more into this Kindle hacking stuff.
Ste_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #2622
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Perhaps you should re-name the downloads, so that the one for 3.2.1 and later firmware has no number, and the older one has "-3.2-and-earlier"?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #2623
Janaboy
Janaboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (New 2012)
Dear All!

Please help me, i have the new 69$ Kindle 4 (non touch) and installed the JB and SS hack what NiLuJe wrote before..
First i have the linkss/screensaver dir, i copied there some ss, but stil show me some old offer screensaver..can you tell me why?
The second, and the most important for me, that my mother use wanna use the Kindle and she not really not the english language..can be possible make the language? I make the translate, but i don't know, where can i find the language files..and if i good know, right now i cannot ssh into this version...

Thank you for your answers!
Janaboy
Janaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #2624
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@pdurrant: That's actually a pretty good idea, now that it's the main FW in use. Will do, thanks .

@Janaboy:
Quote:
Note for Kindle Special Offers Users:

This doesn't, and won't ever, help you bypass something you agreed to (screensaver ads), so please stop asking.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #2625
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janaboy View Post
Dear All!

Please help me, i have the new 69$ Kindle 4 (non touch) and installed the JB and SS hack what NiLuJe wrote before..
First i have the linkss/screensaver dir, i copied there some ss, but stil show me some old offer screensaver..can you tell me why?
The second, and the most important for me, that my mother use wanna use the Kindle and she not really not the english language..can be possible make the language? I make the translate, but i don't know, where can i find the language files..and if i good know, right now i cannot ssh into this version...

Thank you for your answers!
Janaboy
We do not recommend removing Special Offers without paying amazon to do that for you. You can, but that is your own personal choice. If you choose to do it anyway, there are threads that tell how to remove Special Offers, but you need some technical skill to do that. You may find what you seek in the K4 hacking wiki. Look in the master index / K4 index.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet