Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #406
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Just looked at my reading list and I am 33% of the way through my original challenge and we are not quite 25% of the way through the year. I think I am doing pretty well.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #407
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Farewell to the Americas. Now to start my first of three stints in Africa.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #408
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I did a complete read-through once, just to be able to say that I did. Just read a bit of it each night. Took me about a year.
That's the same reason/way I did it. I had an e-bible, so I just read 1% a day.
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #409
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I had one of those paperback-sized Bibles with the wafer-thin pages.

That was back in the day when my eyes could actually SEE fonts sized that small.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #410
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Goodreads informs me that I am 6 books ahead on my challenge. But the second part of the 2014 challenge was to stay within a $40 monthly budget. Every month the amount has been way over. However, seeing the amounts add up each month is producing an angst that is likely keeping purchases less than they have been since buying my first ereader. All in all, reading is still a cheap hobby, as hobbies go.

Edit: I went completely off-track on the budget when I bought Death in a Cold Climate: A Guide to Scandinavian Crime Fiction by Barry Forshaw. It is a grave mistake for any bibliophile to buy a guide to any beloved genre. (The Merriam-Webster website says this: 'for bibliophiles, no electronic device could possibly give the tactile pleasure of a beautifully bound book.' Obviously, they've never experienced the pleasure of seeing ebooks virtually lined up in Calibre.)

Last edited by BelleZora; 03-13-2014 at 12:17 AM.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #411
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
With today's Daily Deal purchase (Mercy by Jusse Adler-Olsen, which ought to be in that book you just mentioned, BelleZora*), I have run right up against my 2:1 TBR limit. 32 books in, 16 books out.

Unfortunately I still have one ebook pre-ordered, and one paperback omnibus making its slow way from the US. I'm going to need to get some more books finished or discarded before those turn up.

*Edit: Except that it has a different title in the US. It's the first Department Q book, anyway.

Last edited by DrNefario; 03-13-2014 at 10:31 AM.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #412
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished The Black Echo by Michael Connelly. This was a GREAT book! I could hardly put it down. I now see why Harry Bosch is a popular series in the crime genre. This was my first Whispersync purchase and I'm just getting to it, so checkmark on the TBR. The Whispersync thing sortof worked. Had to get something fixed, but hope the next one goes better.

I actually increased my goal for the 2014 Challenge, so now 120 books (10 a month). I'm ahead right now. I'm also nearly halfway done with my Age Challenge. That will slow though as the last 3 books were published in years already covered.

Next books up will be Proven Guilty (next book in Dresden Files) and Judgement in Death (J D Robb buddy read), both in Audio. On the ereader is Asimov's mag. Actual reading is limited right now due to vision issue, so short stories and novellas work best for that.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #413
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
First book from Africa complete. Only 51 more books left in my challenge. O_O
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #414
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mid-March, and my book budget isn't going to balance before October at the earliest. Of my year's budget of $480, all but $32.15 is allocated.

While it's not impossible that I'll manage to keep my spending for the year under $480, I can't say that any third party has any reason to be optimistic about my chances.

The good news is that I'm just reading my 50th book now, so I may well break 200 books for the year.

The downside is that I expect to end the year having bought over 200 ebooks (funds allocated to a total of 214 at the moment).

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-13-2014 at 12:02 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #415
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
I posted my reading challenges here on my blog. Seeing as we're about a quarter of the way through the year, I thought I'd check in!

As far as numbers, I'm doing fine. According to Goodreads I'm 4 books ahead with my challenge to read 100 books. As far as number of pages, I decided on 40,000, which works out at around 3,333/month. I'm at 9154, so I should hit 10,000 by 31 March. And I've been reading for an hour most days - on the days where I haven't I've read a lot of stuff for uni, which I don't count as the challenge is supposed to be about fun!

On the other hand, reducing my collection of physical books is not going well at all. There are simply too many bargains available in my area! I've managed not to gain too many more than I had, but I've also not managed to cut down many either. Hopefully once I finish up with uni I'll be able to make headway on that particular challenge.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #416
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just caught up my list. Did a read-through of all of Seanan McGuire's series (InCrypted and October Daye) so now I'm up to 39 books, which keeps me ahead of my goal pace.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #417
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished the latest book in the Honorverse, Cauldron of Slaves. Enjoyed it, and that puts me well ahead of my goal on the # of books. Plus I've managed to maintain my list, which is an important part of the goal this year. Without, so far, having to resort to Nudges from Nyssa™.

Last edited by CRussel; 03-22-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added tm.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #418
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished the latest book in the Honorverse, Cauldron of Slaves. Enjoyed it, and that puts me well ahead of my goal on the # of books. Plus I've managed to maintain my list, which is an important part of the goal this year. Without, so far, having to resort to Nudges from Nyssa™.
I thought that deserved a trademark tag.

I am glad to see so many people keeping up with their lists - they are appreciated. Whenever I see someone who likes a book I have either contemplated or liked myself, I try to check their lists to see what else I can find that sounds interesting.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #419
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished the latest book in the Honorverse, Cauldron of Slaves. Enjoyed it, and that puts me well ahead of my goal on the # of books. Plus I've managed to maintain my list, which is an important part of the goal this year. Without, so far, having to resort to Nudges from Nyssa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I thought that deserved a trademark tag.

I am glad to see so many people keeping up with their lists - they are appreciated. Whenever I see someone who likes a book I have either contemplated or liked myself, I try to check their lists to see what else I can find that sounds interesting.

LOL!

I'm glad you're been both willing and able to keep your list updated CR. Good Work!

Thanks for the trademark Dazrin - although that now makes it kind of official and I have so been sleeping on the job.

You've both put a much needed smile on my face. Thanks!

Last edited by Nyssa; 03-24-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #420
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Pretty good, Dazrin! Added to original. And Nyssa - glad we could add a smile. I admit, I had a smile when I posted it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote