Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Dictionary lookup works

I found a dictionary here in the Books forum:

GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English, V1, 9, July 2007

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12000

I simply copied it into eBooks directory. It seems to contain a word definition per page, about 20K words.
Then I went into a TXT file and tried lookup command. It jumped into the dictionary doc at the word definition. Then I used Back command to return to the orginal doc.

I am not sure if it handles suffixes, like finding 'house' when you select 'houses' or 'housed'. Also, the parser seems to be rather simplistic and can include commas or periods in word selection. Such as:

"... at the house."

You can select "at", "the" and "house."
Of course, "house." lookup fails.

Anyway it is a start and a very nice feature to have. As you already know it is not available for PDF files (I guess they cannot parse text in PDFs yet) - another annoyance. Again, we'll just have to wait for another firmware.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I just tested with 'bag."' and with my Concise Oxford it gave me "bag" and "BAe" as alternatives. 'Street?" gave me "street" and "streel". So for this dictionary it worked looking up words that are selected with punctuation symbols.

Last edited by tompe; 11-16-2007 at 10:48 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That is way cool!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I just tested with 'bag."' and with my Concise Oxford it gave me "bag" and "BAe" as alternatives. 'Street?" gave me "street" and "streel". So for this dictionary it worked looking up words that are selected with punctuation symbols.
Is it free? How much does it cost? Links? thanks
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
Is it free? How much does it cost? Links? thanks
I bought it from Mobipocket. The price is $30.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote