Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
RichD
RichD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
UK Kindle - register in the US?

Hi,

I have read around on this site, but I wanted to start a new thread as there is some out of date info on here (apparently Amazon have changed things since the Kindle was available 'internationally')

I have just ordered a Kindle in the UK, and like everybody else, am a little worried about the UK content and hefty surcharges to do with data (including lack of images for newpapers etc)

I wanted to know if anyone had any experience of registering their UK kindle with a US address? I have a friend in the US whose address i could use, and could 'potentially' use their credit cards as well. If I did that, would i get the expanded US content of books, as well as receiving the newspapers in their image-embedded glory - or would it be stripped out because i am 'in' the UK?

Do Amazon check on where the content is being sent? I think I read about a $2 charge for operating 'abroad' - but that would still make things cost less than the VAT and delivery charge that is added to every sale in the UK.

any help much appreciated.

regards,

RichardD
RichD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Richard,

I have done exactly what you described. Let me tell you my experience.

I created a new account with Amazon, using a credit card that happened to be from my company's US bank (actually, it was a debit card, but I don't think that will make any difference). For the address, I registered the address of a California company with which my own company does a lot of business (with their permission, of course).

I then registered my Kindle to that account.

So far, I've been able to purchase books in the Kindle store that are only available to US customers, and without paying the surcharge. However, I haven't been able to receive the books via Whispernet, because I have the original US-only Kindle and so am outside Whispernet range. I've had to download the books to my PC and transfer them via USB, which frankly is no great hardship.

What I can't do is to purchase books that are available in the UK but not in the US. But that only applies to a minority of titles.

If you follow this route, be careful not to actually use the credit card to purchase anything. If you do, your bank will think that someone is trying to use it fraudulently (because it's not your address). Of course, if you can use your friend's card, that won't be a problem. Otherwise, you will have to make your purchases with a gift voucher.

As for the images in the newspapers, I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect what you get will be the same, regardless of whether Amazon sees you as a US or a UK customer. As far as I know, the lack of photos in newspapers is not a geographical restriction -- it's just the way the newspapers are formatted. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

Note that the above is based on my own experience over the last nine months. I can't guarantee that it will always work for everyone.

In any case, I hope you enjoy using your Kindle.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
Amazon do check IP.
Banks won't check address. If your credit card can be used internationally, that's all there is to it as long as you approve their bill.

However, the catch is that Amazon will send you an e-mail - certainly with Kindle international version, but not sure about US version - asking why your purchase is being done oversea - and your residency info doesn't match.

Amazon will ask some official documents, like photo copy of your passport - I'm not kidding - to prove you are a US resident temporarily traveling oversea. If you don't response, they will lock your account. Since such documents are of very sensitive nature, you should not send any. A convincing e-mail instead would do.

Last edited by test011; 06-17-2010 at 07:59 PM.
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Goodspeed
Goodspeed began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE DX
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87336
Goodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by test011 View Post
Amazon will ask some official documents, like photo copy of your passport - I'm not kidding - to prove you are a US resident temporarily traveling oversea.
I can only say that, in the 15 months that I've had my Kindle, nothing like that has ever happened to me.

I can't imagine anyone agreeing to send a photocopy of a passport in those circumstances. In any case, how does your passport prove what country you are resident in, or whether your are travelling overseas? The only thing a passport shows is your nationality.
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
courton
courton began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Try the gift card route... having said this, I also got a notification from Amazon asking me to prove my residency status. Amazon insisted that I change the country setting even if I am on holidays!! Anyway, after a lot of tooing and froing, I am currently able to order books off the US site...don't know how long it will last!
courton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by courton View Post
I also got a notification from Amazon asking me to prove my residency status.
How did they ask you to do that? What proof did they ask for?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Seajaytea
Seajaytea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle on iPad
2012 update

The definitive answer (with copy of Amazon email) is below. I'm an international user who used a valid US address but change country code to access a couple of titles only available outside the US. I think the frequent changes raised a flag at Amazon and the email is the result.
Hello from Amazon.

We are writing because the home country registered to your Kindle account may not match your country of residence. Due to publishing rights, the home country registered to your account must match your country of residence.

To continue purchasing titles available for the United States, please send a copy of your valid government-issued identity card, passport, or a utility bill received within the previous 90 days to our secure fax line:

Within the US: 206-266-1838
Outside the US: (00)1-206-266-1838

For your security, you may obscure the passport, ID, or account number. However, we ask that you do not obscure any portion of your name, your address, or any expiration or statement dates.

Your fax will be converted to a secure electronic image that will never be printed. Once we have completed the verification process, we will delete the image.
Seajaytea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, lots of people get that email, probably because there are some who do unfortunately not tell the truth about their location.

But this is a very old thread. No point in dragging it back from the dead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote