Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've just seen that picture and counted the characters. The line I counted has 89 characters, which is way too long.

If the Kobo does not go below a line height of 1.3, and resets this to 1.3 every time a setting is changed, then I take 1.3 as the lowest maximum. I don't want to run over to the computer to put in the correct line height after I change anything.

I'd really like to see a page with a font setting that allows around +/- 65 characters per line, using only the the e-reader itself for setting the line height.

Also, I really like to know if that page display can be disabled. It wastes too much space on screen IMHO.
From what I've read, 1.3 is default line-height. It does waste too much screen space and looks awful (IMHO). Also, the page number at the bottom seems to be a standard. Sony has it, Amazon has it (locations), and I bet others have it was well.

What I want to know is if the settings are changed like increasing the font size, does that mess with the line height?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #212
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I've read, 1.3 is default line-height. It does waste too much screen space and looks awful (IMHO). Also, the page number at the bottom seems to be a standard. Sony has it, Amazon has it (locations), and I bet others have it was well.

What I want to know is if the settings are changed like increasing the font size, does that mess with the line height?
I just tried changing the font size to something larger and then back down again and the line height appears to remain the same, same number of lines on the page so it must be the same line height, which makes sense as you have it set in the file, not using the cheat of changing in the config file. Changes made manually to the config file are overwritten as soon as you use the UI settings to make a change.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #213
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Yes, but the Kindle page number/progress indication is very small. It uses up one line of text. The Kobo page numbers use up 2 cm / 0.8 inch or so, which is way too much. It wastes 2, maybe three lines of text. If that can't be disabled, it's probably a no go for me. This is one of those things that can bug the hell out of me forever.

If the epub specifies a line height of 1.2.em, what happens? Does the Kobo use 1.3em, or does it increase line height by 1.3 (130%), for a total of 1.56? That last option would explain why I see so many reviews where the reader displays a puny 18 lines of text or so. That's just ridiculous.

(I have some ebooks that specify many font-sizes and line heights for various parts of the book, and I don't intend to mess with that. The only thing I take out are any embedded fonts, and any "font-family" settings, so I can be sure my paperwhite will use my custom font.)

Maybe everything I'm trying to find out is moot, because I can't order the thing anywhere. WHSmith's in the UK does not send to the Netherlands.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-25-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #214
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Quote:
This may be an odd request, but.... could you please try this?

- Set the smallest margins possible.
- Set the line height to the smallest settings.
- Set the font size to such a size that the number of characters per line becomes around 67. (Anything in between 60 and 70 would do, but 67 would be the perfect target.)

How many lines are on the page with these settings? I'd also very much like to see a picture.
36 lines at 66 Characters per line (I think, unless I miss counted closest I could get it to 67 per line. Without the large bottom margin you could fit another two lines of text I think at this font size. This is using JSWolf's Charis SIL font. The next size smaller jumps to 74 characters per line and 39 lines to the page.

Quote:
- Does the font weight setting work on custom fonts?
- Does it work on side-loaded epubs?
- Do all functions with regard to reading progress and the chapter graph work, on side-loaded epubs?

I don't mind to convert to kepub to make these things work. Having font weight work on custom fonts would be a very nice bonus, but I can understand that you need some sort of special font format to make that work.

Thanks for anyone who can test this.
font weight does not work on custom fonts
it does work on side-loaded epubs as long as you use one of kobo's fonts
Chapter graph does not work on side loaded books, all you get is percent read for the book as a whole.

Quote:
And lastly.... The book title on the top can be disabled. Can the page number on the bottom also be disabled? It would fit another 2 lines, and I don't really need to see "Page X from Y" all the time.
[/QUOTE]
No way to disable the page number at the bottom that I am aware of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	War of the Worlds v1 with larger font.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	104978  

Last edited by jiminrussell; 04-25-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #215
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks very much. The page looks great. (Still, Kobo could reduce that friggin' page number space usage...)

Did you set the minimum spacing and margin in the device, or did you use a trick such as changing the config file?

36 lines of 66 characters is a total of 2376 characters per page. That's exactly what an average paperback would display. (They averages around 2400, at least the ones from Del Rey, Ballantine and Random House I've counted.)

I hope the font size is comparable to that of a paperback as well. Can the Aura make screenshots you could post? (The Kindle can do this by simultaneously tapping two opposite corners.) Then I could resize the Aura's screenshot to match the Kindle's, and compare them.

Does the chapter graph and time to read work if you convert an epub to kepub? I could understand that the graph is not calculated, but is coded into the kepub, but I'd expect time to read to work. It does with books side-loaded to the Kindle. I don't really mind the graph, but I did get a wee bit attached to Time to Read. I know, a paper book doesn't have that, but it's nice to know how long a book is going to take me to read. If I don't have much time, I wouldn't start a book that'd take me 40 hours.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-25-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #216
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The gap at the bottom for the page number is sized so that when the bottom menu is displayed, it won't cover any text. It would be good to see a shot with the menu as there is a line drawn across the screen at the top of the menu area. This will show how much space is unused in the text display area and whether an extra line could fit in or not.

As to the page number/menu area, it could be made smaller. But, with my big fingers, I don't want it much smaller.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #217
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hope the font size is comparable to that of a paperback as well. Can the Aura make screenshots you could post? (The Kindle can do this by simultaneously tapping two opposite corners.) Then I could resize the Aura's screenshot to match the Kindle's, and compare them.
When I got my Kobo Touch, I adjusted the font to match a paperback. Then I found I liked it a little smaller. When I got the Glo, I found that I could go a little smaller than that. The range of font sizes is wide enough to go from "need a microscope" to "could use a flash card".
Quote:
Does the chapter graph and time to read work if you convert an epub to kepub? I could understand that the graph is not calculated, but is coded into the kepub, but I'd expect time to read to work. It does with books side-loaded to the Kindle. I don't really mind the graph, but I did get a wee bit attached to Time to Read. I know, a paper book doesn't have that, but it's nice to know how long a book is going to take me to read. If I don't have much time, I wouldn't start a book that'd take me 40 hours.
The chapter graph works for epubs converted to kepubs. From looking at the database on the device, when you first open a kepub, it counts and stores the words in each chapter. The graphs and other calculations are based on that. I usually read epubs, but have tried a couple of purchased kepubs to see this. I like it and wish that they did the same thing for epubs.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #218
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The chapter graph works for epubs converted to kepubs. From looking at the database on the device, when you first open a kepub, it counts and stores the words in each chapter. The graphs and other calculations are based on that. I usually read epubs, but have tried a couple of purchased kepubs to see this. I like it and wish that they did the same thing for epubs.
In the end they don't make money on the hardware. The hardware is to steer you towards their store. So it is understandable that they want to keep a few goodies for the books you buy from them.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #219
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Nice. If the graph works, can I assume that Time to Read will also work? I assume that kepub basically is epub plus some extra metadata, and that Calibre can handle that conversion?

The font options and the bigger screen makes the Aura a desirable reader to me. Sometimes, the font options of the Kindle irk me. With some books, I set size 3, with others it's 4, but sometimes there should have been a size 3.5... And I'd wish to fatten Palatino, for example. The Kindle can't do these things.

I really didn't like the Glo's almost azure blue front light, but I like the warm yellowish one of the Aura. I actually like it more than the Kindle's colder white. I just hope the service and firmware issues are a bit exaggerated, should I decide to get this reader after it becomes available.

I'll probably have to get it from Germany again....

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-26-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #220
jiminrussell
JimInRussell

Quote:
Thanks very much. The page looks great. (Still, Kobo could reduce that friggin' page number space usage...)

Did you set the minimum spacing and margin in the device, or did you use a trick such as changing the config file?

36 lines of 66 characters is a total of 2376 characters per page. That's exactly what an average paperback would display. (They averages around 2400, at least the ones from Del Rey, Ballantine and Random House I've counted.)

I didn't modify the line spacing, JSWolf indicated this one is set to line spacing of 1.01 and changing the font size does not change the line spacing. See screen shot below to compare to a paperback which is a nearly 30 year old copy of Asimov's Foundation and Earth (Del Rey). The paperback looks a bit orange due to its age though it doesn't look anywhere near that bad in real life, I might try changing the white balance and redo this picture (if I get bored some time ) Note the paper back is only 55 characters per line and 37 lines to the page, the font does look slightly larger on the paperback and the line spacing is significantly greater than it is on the epub.

The shot of the Aura HD has the menu showing so you can see how much space is available at the bottom between the last line of text and the line where the bottom menu starts, not quite enough for another line I don't think. Though to be honest I don't see why it can't be set for the menu to overlap the text at the bottom anyway (it already does on the top of the page) so you wouldn't be able to select the hidden text at the top of the page for highlighting for example so not sure what difference it would make if it over lapped the text on the bottom as well.

Edit: just realized that the last part of my statement really isn't correct, as when selecting text the top menu disappears so you can select that text. I'll use the excuse that it is way past my bed time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aura HD compared to paperback with menue showing.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	104980  

Last edited by jiminrussell; 04-26-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #221
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

It's difficult to decide from pictures if I should consider the Aura. One Dutch store has it on order, but true to their normal pricing scheme, the thing is 35 euros more than it would be in Germany. They do send it without shipment cost, however, and I could return it under Dutch law, if I don't like it.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #222
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nice. If the graph works, can I assume that Time to Read will also work?
Yes it does.
Quote:
I assume that kepub basically is epub plus some extra metadata, and that Calibre can handle that conversion?
A kepub is basically an epub with a span for each sentence. The span carries an id that is used for their bookmarks and reading position. There are a couple of extra files that we are not sure if are actually used.

You can simply rename an epub on the drive to use ".kepub.epub" as the extension and it will be treated as a kepub. But without the ids, if you reopen book, it will always open to the start of the chapter.

Calibre doesn't handle kepubs at all. But, there is an extra driver that generates them when you send the book to the device. It adds the ids into the book and does the renaming. It seems to work well.

One other thing is that Kobo have explicitly stated that they do not support this. It seems to work well, but there may be function in kepubs that is missing by doing it this way.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #223
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
It's not about making the perfect ePub. It's about asking how things work. It's so we can make/alter eBooks to fit how we like them to be. Kobo does some things differently and I'm just finding out how to do it the Kobo way.
I think underlying suggestion is that how to get the proper spacing in a kepub probably deserves it's own thread. I know that when I want to find this information I certainly won't look in the "Kobo Rocks" thread. Maybe a mod could separate the two topics and give it a dedicated thread title so people won't think they've come into the wrong thread.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #224
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I just tried changing the font size to something larger and then back down again and the line height appears to remain the same, same number of lines on the page so it must be the same line height, which makes sense as you have it set in the file, not using the cheat of changing in the config file. Changes made manually to the config file are overwritten as soon as you use the UI settings to make a change.
Thanks. That helps. It's good to know that changing the font does not screw with the line height set in CSS. It is easy enough to add line height to an ePub to get the line height I want. at the top of the CSS, I can just add in...

Code:
p, div, span , h1, h2 {
line-height 1em
}
Then any of the styles below this can modify the line height as needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #225
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Sigh ...
I very strongly dislike being forced to do things.
I do not mind registering at their site, I would just prefer that they try to persuade me instead of holding my device hostage.
I kacir, so I take it back, as apparently it is possible to set up your device without registering (see tshering's post after my reply, and this thread).

Having said that, the Pocketbook Lux does loo interesting!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote