Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
External Hard Drive and PE

Has anyone else connected an external hard drive to the PE? I know,I know why would I do that - well at least I'm not playing around with the system files. When I connected them the power light on the hd came on and a PE dialogue came up saying the usb device was blank or not supported. Well since it was formatted NTFS it wasn't able to read it. I tried the rest of mine but they all have the wrong format - except on the last one there was an old restore partition from a laptop. Lo and behold the PE saw it and connected. It showed up as a source in my reading program. Haven't had time to do anything else yet. Anyone else done something along this line? Oh yeah, it was a self-powered ext hd. The passport powered up though I am not recommending that.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Yes there is a thread on this subject in the archive entourage forum at the top of this forum.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Gunnerp245. I did a search on the forum and archive before I posted , but I guess I didn' use the magic words. Could you point me to that thread?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Old thread here (there may be mentions in others):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...external+drive

(I used the Advanced Search function.)
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
bunodosoma
Connoisseur

Thanks Glow - I found some more by searching posts instead of just thread titles. I 'm thinking about reformatting a 2.5" drive to Fat32 so I can play around with this some more.
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I have a cute little Verbatim drive (500MB) and about half the size of my PE. One of the first things I did was hook them up to see what would happen.

Nothin' LOL.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I have a cute little Verbatim drive (500MB) and about half the size of my PE. One of the first things I did was hook them up to see what would happen.

Nothin' LOL.
The PE and EE have limited power output from the USB sockets so it is always better to use a drive that has an external power supply or use a powered hub.

The other problem that can and will be a problem is the format of the drive - the EE and PE do not understand NTFS formatting that windows uses for large hard disks so any drive so formatted will appear blank if it appears at all.

I have a 1 TB drive that is supposed to be self powered but I power it from an in line adapter we made, divided into two partitions, FAT32, and HPFS (OS/2). My EE can read the FAT32 without problems (OK, OS/2 can see and read both hence my using them).
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote