Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #781
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
^^^

I really loved both my Toshibas. This past Christmas, I decided it was time and (with the good sales) bought a new laptop -- a bare bones Asus.

Two huge mistakes -- 1) It wasn't a Toshiba and 2) it came with the cursed Windows 8.

Haha I tried to give it to my husband (his laptop is aging) and he just laughed and said, "no chance!". If he'd taken the deal, I'd have rushed out and got my Toshiba!!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #782
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
^^^

I really loved both my Toshibas. This past Christmas, I decided it was time and (with the good sales) bought a new laptop -- a bare bones Asus.

Two huge mistakes -- 1) It wasn't a Toshiba and 2) it came with the cursed Windows 8.

Haha I tried to give it to my husband (his laptop is aging) and he just laughed and said, "no chance!". If he'd taken the deal, I'd have rushed out and got my Toshiba!!
I've seen an Asus laptop and I would easily buy one. I found one thing that a lot of laptops don't have... pretty good sound for a laptop. If it came with Win 8, I'd not be bothered. I could easily put Win 7 on it as we have an extra copy I can use to upgrade the OS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #783
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Don't do that! Whacking hard drives is not good.
Ok, it's been a while, but the idea of whacking hard drives isn't completely out of line. There was a time period when drives would suffer from stiction, and it was actually an accepted practice to smack the drive hoping to get it to spin up properly. Hasn't really been a problem since the early 90s, but there definitely was a time when smacking the hard drive was a legit practice.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #784
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Ok, it's been a while, but the idea of whacking hard drives isn't completely out of line. There was a time period when drives would suffer from stiction, and it was actually an accepted practice to smack the drive hoping to get it to spin up properly. Hasn't really been a problem since the early 90s, but there definitely was a time when smacking the hard drive was a legit practice.
Though a 'good' way to lose data when the heads impact the platters.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #785
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Though a 'good' way to lose data when the heads impact the platters.
Gentle whacking! Plus, I was young and stupid(er) (I'm telling you, it worked every single time).
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #786
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
On that old Toshiba, the hard drive was encased in a kind of steel box and really easy to pop out. I was so frustrated and I remember someone said, "you could always whack it -- couldn't hurt" Ha! Imagine my surprise!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #787
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Gentle whacking! Plus, I was young and stupid(er) (I'm telling you, it worked every single time).
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #788
DianNC
Banned

Hey Gunner - you have excellent taste in e-readers!

Back on topic: I wish Mike@OverDrive would come back so we can properly thank him for all the great changes to NextGen!!!

Thanks, Mike!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #789
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Yes, it is good to know someone actually listened to us!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #790
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
H

Back on topic: I wish Mike@OverDrive would come back so we can properly thank him for all the great changes to NextGen!!!

Thanks, Mike!
Totally Agreed! All the changes have made it better!

Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #791
DianNC
Banned

Blossom - I was the biggest doubting Thomas here...really thought we were all wasting our breath with our complaints and suggestions! This is one time I'm so happy to have been proven wrong. I almost fell over when someone posted that we got our List View back -- I never thought it would really happen. I still get happy when I see it
Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #792
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Blossom - I was the biggest doubting Thomas here...really thought we were all wasting our breath with our complaints and suggestions! This is one time I'm so happy to have been proven wrong. I almost fell over when someone posted that we got our List View back -- I never thought it would really happen. I still get happy when I see it
I was one of the complainers here at first too. It took me awhile to get use to the new format but I love it I really do. There are few fixes still needed though.

Issues still needing fixed:

READS & FLP: When Clicking on New eBooks it's sorts by default by Only titles with copies available when it should be My library's collection

Then there is the new Wishlist views. Please make it more than 20 page per view. My wishlist is over 300 books long. 20 per page takes forever to navigate through.

Other than that I have no complaints.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #793
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm getting tired of the OverDrive app on my Galaxy Player. No matter how often I log in and tell it to remember, it never does. I have to re-enter the info every time I visit a library. Having to constantly log in to five different libraries is getting old fast. If this keeps up, I'm gonna ditch the app altogether and only borrow books from my computer.
This issue really needs fixing. I had to create a note to store my account number and then cut-and-paste from the note rather than find my library card and retype a really long string of numbers every time I want to access the website!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #794
DianNC
Banned

That happens to me if I don't sign in for a few days. I also use the 'cut and paste from a note' method. When I'm logging in everyday, it does a good job of remembering me. I'm not using an app, though. Just doing it from my computer.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #795
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The computer remembers now (that has been fixed). It's the mobile apps that don't remember. That's why tubemonkey says he is thinking about ditching the app on his Galaxy Player in favor of his computer. It's inconvenient and contrary to the purpose of using a mobile device.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote