Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Transfer Web pages to Kindle - what do you use? "Print to MOBI" an option?

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out a good way to "read later" online newspapers and web articles on my kindle DXG. I would pay the $.15 per mb and just have them sent to myaddress@, but I live outside the US and the .99 per mb is too much. This is an important feature for me and I will buy a small Kindle3 with wifi just because of this feature - sending stuff to @free.kindle.com and get it wirelessly on the K3... I will probably sell my KDXG as soon as a DX with wifi becomes available.
Meanwhile, what do you recommend for MINIMUM effort? I´ve tried copying the articles to a text file, but then I lose formatting. Printing the page to PDF is an option, but then I need to select my custom PDF size, etc., it´s a bit of a hassle.
Is there a "print to MOBI file" program anywhere?
Thanks!

g.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
It isn't exactly what you're looking for but it may be of some use to you. You can create your own Kindle formatted articles with anything from the Wikipedia website using the free Kindlepedia. I've tried it and it's very good http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/kindlepedia

For other webpages/websites which I want to read on my Kindle. I save the page as an html file (file - save page as) and then I use MobiPocket Creator to make me a mobi file (Kindle) using the saved html. Bit of work but not that much.

Hope that helps and look forward to reading other people's ideas.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Thanks - I do the same (conversion to MOBI) with Calibre - but it's a bit of a hassle. I would really like my Kindle to work seamlessly like a "paperless printer" - print-send from any program. I'm sure you wouldn´t use your printer a lot if you had to take 2/3 steps - for me having to connect with a cable and copy the files is already one step too much.
Instapaper sounds good, but again, you need to logon to the site AFAIK to download the content as MOBI. If the wireless was cheaper outside the USA...
looking forward to hear other ideas. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
for me having to connect with a cable and copy the files is already one step too much.
Then you're probably out of luck.
Calibre has recipes that simplify the automated conversion of popular newspapers, periodicals and RSS feeds. If one can't be modified to work for your favorites, the kind people here may be of assistance.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
guiyoforward
Zealot

Instapaper's read later is great for websites, but there are two steps (OK, not that bad) - you need to go to the site and download - plus it only works on browsers.
I really think a MOBI print driver would be great... Is there anything like that? Something like print to PDF but for MOBI...
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
as it was mentioned earlier instapaper should do the trick - their bookmarklet allows you to mark all the articles that you wnat to read later and later to be sent to your device.
one option is to do it through instapaper setup(oprions/kindle options) - in fact you do not have to do it manually, instaper can send stuff automatically, but iti si limited to 20 articles at a time and sending to kindle.com only
or you can setup calibre to pull stuff from instapaper and send it to your kindle via free.kindle.com, and it is not limited to 20 articles

both options allow scheduling, also both options form a magazine/nespaper of sorts where all of your articles in one file and formattted nicely, and you have an index of the articles included... so i think this should work for you...it works nicely for me(the instapaper/calibre setup.)
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
guiyoforward
Zealot

THANKS, I didn't know about the instapaper+calibre combo!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzerga View Post
or you can setup calibre to pull stuff from instapaper and send it to your kindle via free.kindle.com, and it is not limited to 20 articles
How do you set up Calibre to use Instapaper as a source? I'm not all that familiar with either.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
How do you set up Calibre to use Instapaper as a source? I'm not all that familiar with either.
Please consult the following article: http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/...per-documents/

Please post a new topic if you have any problems with setup after following the guide, unfortunately I only get notifications about new topics from my rss/ not comments in the thread. Also I am sure there will be plenty of help from other users if need be.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote