Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Detecting complete sync of books from device

Is there a way to tell when a device is fully connected - in the sense that calibre knows the ids of the books on the device.

I occasionally get a condition where someone (ok, me mainly ) runs the plugin before all the books that are on the device are identified. This means when my plugin asks calibre for the data, it gets back 0 books on the device, until you run it a second time after the job is done.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
No, there isn't. What would you do if you had something like this? Refuse to run?

We could add a signal that is fired when the ondevice calculations are done. I see two issues. 1) It would be best not to interact with the user in that signal handler, because the GUI would blocked at what appears to be a random time. 2) it would be signaled when books are added or deleted.

Kovid, I am thinking of emitting the signal after we call self.library_view.model().refresh_ondevice() at line 803 of device.py. Do you see any problem with this?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why not do it at the end of metadata_downloaded? IIRC, that means the device is "fully connected"
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Why not do it at the end of metadata_downloaded? IIRC, that means the device is "fully connected"
The last thing metadata_downloaded does is call refresh_ondevice().

My thought was that if we are adding this signal, something that connects to the signal might want to know if the booklists have changed. There are other methods that change the booklist, for example books_uploaded and books_deleted, and both of these call refresh_ondevice at the right time.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Best to have two signals in that case, it's not like they are a scarce resource metadata_downloaded and book list changed are very different things.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Both of them result in the same thing -- telling the signal recipient that the ondevice information has (potentially) changed. But I don't care enough to argue. I will add the signal to the end of metadata_downloaded.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Code pushed.

The signal is device_metadata_available, and is raised after all the connection processing is complete. It should be visible to a plugin as gui.device_metadata_available.

The sequence: gui.device_manager.is_device_connected will become True, then sometime later gui.device_metadata_available will be signaled. This does not mean that there are no more jobs running. Automatic metadata management might have kicked off a sync_booklists to write new metadata onto the device, and that job might still be running when the signal is emitted.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

merged .
Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Step away for a minute and look what happens

Just to be clear - my plugin does not have to be running and looking for a signal? It just has to test if gui.device_metadata_available is True before continuing - otherwise I will issue an error dialog to tell the user to wait and try again. (Actually I currently test if gui.device_manager.is_device_connected is True, and then I test if gui.device_manager.connected_device._main_prefix has a value because I think I used to test for just main_prefix but found that wasn't reset between connections so I test both - and now I'll add a 3rd test).

I understand it won't be perfect as there could be books to send to/sync with the device - but it will prevent the majority of issues that might happen.

Many thanks.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Just to be clear - my plugin does not have to be running and looking for a signal? It just has to test if gui.device_metadata_available is True before continuing - otherwise I will issue an error dialog to tell the user to wait and try again.
No. It is a signal, not a flag. You can't test it at random times.

Thinking about it, I understand one of the difficulties you are facing. You don't track connections and disconnections, so this one signal isn't sufficient. You need to know when the device connects and disconnects so you can know what this signal means.

Assuming Kovid accepts the change, I have added a second signal, gui.device_connected_changed.emit(connected). This signal is emitted whenever a device is connected or disconnected. The argument to the signal, connected, is True if a device has been connected, False otherwise.

In your init method, connect to these two signals. If you get device_connected_changed(False), mark the fact that there is no device and clear the device valid indication. If you get device_connected_changed(True), mark that fact, and prepare to receive the device_metadata_available signal. When you receive the device_metadata_available, note that fact, which the rest of your plugin will use to determine whether the info is available or not.

The initial condition is that there is no device.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Merged.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
meme
Sigil developer

Got it. Of course the plugin is already live once calibre starts. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
meme
Sigil developer

Ok, don't got it.

I'm running from the source with the signals, but I'm obviously missing something in the syntax/use as I'm getting an error.

I've put in my genesis routine in ui.py (testconnect1 just prints hello):

self.gui.device_metadata_available.connect(self.te stconnect1)

but I get this when I start calibre:

File "/home/meme/Calibre-Source/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 253, in initialize
self.initialize_db()
File "/home/meme/Calibre-Source/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 234, in initialize_db
self.initialize_db_stage2(db, None)
File "/home/meme/Calibre-Source/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 203, in initialize_db_stage2
self.start_gui(db)
File "/home/meme/Calibre-Source/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 159, in start_gui
main.initialize(self.library_path, db, self.listener, self.actions)
File "/home/meme/Calibre-Source/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 195, in initialize
ac.do_genesis()
File "/home/meme/Calibre-Source/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/actions/__init__.py", line 97, in do_genesis
self.genesis()
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.ui", line 55, in genesis

TypeError: connect() failed between [] and unislot()
Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@meme - try hooking in initialization_complete rather than genesis?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There was a bug with the way signals were implemented. Charles committed a fix a little while ago.

Use

self.gui.device_signals.signal_name.connect(...