Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Skinjob
Skinjob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Noob, please set me straight on how to root PRS-T2

Last edited by Skinjob; 11-21-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Solved the problem.
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
Skinjob
Skinjob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Never mind, I worked it out.

(Just needed to go through the jailbreak-root process twice! I am root!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
New to both readers and rooting them, and I am eager to get started unlocking my Sony PRS-T2. But the info on this is sparse in English, and the translations from Russian confusing, to say the least. Also, much of it is years old, so I don't know what the latest info (or files) are on the rooting process for the T2. If someone here familiar with this can please answer my questions, I'd be grateful!

1. FIRMWARE: I have firmware ver. 1.0.0.4.11081. But I don't know if it's the so-called "good" version of 1.0.0.4.11081, because I am not the original owner of the reader. I know it's a Canadian model, and I can probably assume the owner did not update the firmware, so it was probably already on the reader. Does the fact that the firmware might not have been upgraded to this particular version mean the reader can not be unlocked and rooted?

2. RECOVERY: Trying to get into the factory recovery using the "HOME+MENU+POWER" button combo does not work. It just reboots the device. But there is so little info out there, I am not even sure what the native recovery screen should look like.

Once connecting it via USB to a Windows7 PC, I tried the command line program "ebook_msc" to get into recovery. It seems to just reboot the device, eventually into the main home page with the books. No special message or logo showing a recovery screen. But with or without ebook_msc.exe, I have access to the SD card on the reader, and internal memory, separated into two "drives". However, the INFO command on ebook_msc says "device locked: NO". Does this mean I can root it? I have no idea if I have accessed recovery mode or not!

3. JAILBREAKING:

I ran the Rupor jailbreak files, after instaling them to a 2gb SD card. The script.log showed errors, but according to my research, the errors are normal and expected. Still I have no idea if I am jailbroken!

4. ROOTING:

I then ran the batch file for Rupor's AMR root fix. It copied a bunch of files, etc. But once the reader rebooted, all I saw was the main home page again, nothing in the software had changed. I have no idea if I am rooted or have a different system!
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote