Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
"debug" in Calibre

I've noticed the term "debug" show up with some conversions I am doing and not others.

Should I "debug" before converting to epub or debug anything where the "debug" option shows up?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
The term "debug" is actually a programming term meaning "to hunt for and remove programming errors".

Any reference you see to "debug" in Calibre will turn on features within Calibre to make debugging easier for the programmers (i.e. it will turn on features that show the programmers what is happening within the program so they can more easily hunt down programming errors).

Unless you're a programmer it probably isn't of much use to you, so I'd advise against turning it on.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Ok, thanks. I hadn't noticed it before so I thought there was something about a particular book I had loaded that would require "debugging" so I clicked ok and it appeared to be 'working' (little circular thing going). Then I noticed it with most books I put in there and worried that I was doing something wrong.

The 'work' that it appeared to be doing took only seconds so I wasn't sure it was of value.

Thanks so much for responding. I will ignore it. :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
The term "debug" is actually a programming term meaning "to hunt for and remove programming errors".

Any reference you see to "debug" in Calibre will turn on features within Calibre to make debugging easier for the programmers (i.e. it will turn on features that show the programmers what is happening within the program so they can more easily hunt down programming errors).

Unless you're a programmer it probably isn't of much use to you, so I'd advise against turning it on.
Not quite.

The debug in Calibre leaves some of the partial conversion files around after the conversion is complete. That makes it easier to fine tune some of the customizable document structure detection features in Calibre, because you can see what the document actually looks like at the stage where those features are implemented. It's not intended for programmers, although some of those features are complex enough that you'd almost need to be a programmer to start fiddling with them.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote