Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Now that the K2 supports PDF

I didn't like the absence of an SD card slot back when the K2 was announced, but it wasn't a serious issue. 2GB is a vast amount of space when all you're storing is Mobipocket ebooks. I myself have a collection of around 1k ebooks in just under 1GB.

This past week Amazon added PDF support to the K2, and 2GB isn't enough anymore. PDF is the most space intensive ebook format. I've been working with PDFs for a while now, and I've noticed that PDFs usually take about 6 times more storage space than the source text+images. That's 6 times _larger_ than the source material, not smaller.

I think the missing SD card slot is now a mistake. Limited storage + space intensive format = limited use of that new format. I don't know about you, but I'm used to carrying around all my Mobipocket ebooks (it's one of the reasons I went digital). I would love to be able to do the same with PDFs, only Amazon made it impossible.

That's my opinion. What do you think?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I agree, Amazon needs to immediately issue a firmware update for the K2 to grow a memory slot
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont think that the amount of internal space is an issue. I am not the type that NEEDS to have 2000 books with me at all times. I have a couple hundred right now and I keep the rest of my books on my computer and on my Dropbox account... and some on my MobleMe iDisk... I take a good look at my books on the Kindle before I go on a trip so I have a couple of books to read so again, not an issue.

Those are my $0.02
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's my opinion. What do you think?
As your book collection grows, sooner or later there will come a point at which you can't carry it all with you. The amount of memory on the device merely determines where that cut-off point is. I've been reading e-books for something like 25 years, and my book collection won't fit on ANY portable device.

Once you acknowledge that you need to be selective about what you have with you, it doesn't really matter very much whether you can "only" carry around 100 books or 10,000. Both are "large numbers" in terms of reading material (100 books is probably a year's reading for me).

So, personally I'm not particularly bothered. I have devices with a memory card slot, but I don't use it (other than, for obvious reasons, on the iRex DR1000!).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I agree that "more memory is better," although I don't see much of an advantage to an SD slot. I suspect it costs as much to put in and maintain the slot as it would to just add the RAM, plus it slightly increases the complexity of a class of device that IMO should be as simple as possible. I expect (but may be wrong) that adding either more RAM or a media slot will also result in higher power consumption.

Even with PDF support though, the K2's screen is too small (for me, at least) for extensive PDF usage. To me, that's a much more serious imposition on PDF usage than storage capacity. If you're using PDF's all day long, I'd think you will need a larger-screen device anyway.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I like the SD card for organization. If the firmware upgrade will provide some manner of organization, it probably isn't necessary to have an SD slot. I would be happy to download the first 10 in each catgory to my kindle - fiction, romance, mystery, thriller, nonfiction politics, nonfiction economics. I don't really care about the increased size of PDF files, because I convert everything to mobi, and use compression.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
However, you can re-save the pdf to shrink the file size, it's probably easier on the MAC than the PC by default though. Nevertheless, my vie is some form of memory card slot or usb port to read memory sticks is a benefit for any reader.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I don't think I will ever be able to, or want to, divorce my reader from my computer. So long as the computer has these functions, it is very easy to pick out which book to drag to my reader. Actually, I should create those categories now, and just drag the top books to my reader. I'm sure with 100 or so books, rather than the 800 it has now, it will run better, too!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Personally I think that the SD card slot is very useful on the K1 and would be even more so on the K2, especially now that it can handle pdfs (though the pdf handling still leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion, but that's a different issue).

Sure you could add more ram to hold more files--but you can only do that when the reader is constructed, and once the RAM is full it's full. Add an SD card slot, and you can have 2, 3, 4x more "RAM" just by tucking another SD card into your wallet.

There's nothing wrong with using the Kindle as a backpack, holding a handful of books you plan to read soon, rather than as a library. But I'd like to at least have the option of using the K2 as a library.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I still think that the SD slot should be returned in future models. Back in the old days of reading on my Clie I would use memory sticks to arrange my library by subject. Nowadays with Dropbox my library is available to all my PCs and my mobile phone but *not* my Kindle. My Calibre folder is nearly 10GB (I've purchased a lot of books and also have many more free books in Calibre) so carrying my entire library on a portable dedicated reader will require a bit more memory.

PDFs are much larger than other ebook formats and I know that my DX fills up fast if I'm loading PDFs. I always thought it was a peculiar choice by Amazon not to include an SD slot on the DX when it supported PDF.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I wouldn't be suprised to see the SD slot make a comeback in Kindle 3. Make sure you have a whinge to Amazon over it, the feedback adds up and will have an effect!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and it does have 2 memory card slots. I have never actually used them for content as the internal memory is just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I agree with "The more memory the better". Really depends upon preference but i'd love to carry around all my books with me.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I doubt they will put the SD cards back in the next Kindle, they'll just put in enough RAM to obviate the issue. 4-8gb should do it.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I doubt they will put the SD cards back in the next Kindle, they'll just put in enough RAM to obviate the issue. 4-8gb should do it.
There is an urban legend that we should keep in mind. Bill Gates is reputed to have said that 640k RAM is enough for anyone. How much RAM do you have right now?

The point I'm trying to make is that just because you can't think of a reason to use that extra ability doesn't mean no one else will either. "That should be enough" is design fallacy, IMO.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote