Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #14206
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished:

- The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss - I kinda wish I'd waited until book three was out because now I have to wait a couple years for the story to be finished, and I didn't love the first two books quite enough to want to re-read them when book three comes out.

Currently Reading:

- The Moor by Laurie R. King (76%)
- The Passage by Justin Cronin (second time) (10%)
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #14207
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Hugh Howey and Jim Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished reading of the twelfth (and just released) novel in the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King, Garment of Shadows. It was great , exciting, suspenseful, engaging and that makes it a lot like the other eleven books in the series though also different in many ways! They all are like this. a lot like the others, but also quite different.

On now to the third book in Hugh Howey's Molly Fyde series, Molly Fyde and the Blood of Billions! I feel the need to be traveling on a starship for a while!
It was just a year ago, soon after the release of Ghost Story by Jim Butcher, the 13th book in The Dresden Files series that I decided to re-read the entire series before reading the new release. So beginning on September 17th I started re-reading Storm Front and I finishing reading Changes on October 20th. Then I read Ghost Story and finished it on October 25th.

So this year I'm going to start my 2nd annual Dresden Files re-read early, so that when the late November release of Cold Days, the 14th book in the series, happens I'll be ready.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #14208
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
"In Short" by Judith Kitchen and Mary Paumier Jones. A collection of very short creative nonfiction.

http://www.amazon.com/In-Short-Colle...ive+nonfiction

Sorry no ebook available but I'm loving it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #14209
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Kindle has the first 23 chapters of "Zoo" by James Patterson and someotherguy, for free sampling, and I started reading it....

The first four - five chapters are decent, but I'm having trouble staying interested. I don't find it to be really well written. Choppy and full of product placement. The story, told in the first person, seems to involve an environmental animal behavior expert dude who is hooked on Red Bull.

I am now reading, and absolutely ENJOYING, Settling the Account by Shayne Parkinson, the third in the Promises to Keep series of novels on Smashwords.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #14210
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Quantum Prophecy #1: The Awakening by Michael Carroll.

Apparently I bought this back in October 2009 from Fictionwise. I can't find a current ebook edition.
I quite enjoyed that, but not enough to get the rest of the series, even if it was readily available. An interesting superheroes (& supervillains) universe, but I don't really like prophecy.

Another Agatha Christie next, I think: Sparkling Cyanide, her 44th Crime & Mystery book..
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #14211
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just finished Harlan Cobens "Fade Away" witch was a good read. Myron Bolitar is one of my favourite book-characters (after Harry Dresden). Next is a re-read of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It's the first time I read it in English. So far I like it.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #14212
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I haven't read any of Bernard Cornwell's books. Given my liking for historical fiction, I really must add him to my "TBR" list!
Read his Sharpe series. I've seen most of the TV series and I've read the first book. Very good. But be prepared for a number of stupid OCR errors left in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #14213
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I am on a reread of the Hal Spacejock books by Simon Haynes. I finished Hal Spacejock, Second Course, and I have started book three, Just Desserts.

These are hilarious (I think so). I had to wait somewhere for an hour and was laughing out loud at a few places. The guy next to me was reading his book and kept glancing at me, but I really couldn't help it. Simon writes the stories so that I find myself sucked into the story and I forget where I am. I am seeing it all in my head and just know how Hal or Clunk will react, so that, sometimes, I will start to smile before it happens. These are fun and just what I needed to get a great mood lift this weekend.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #14214
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Started the new Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes book by Laurie King: Garment of Shadows. I'm hooked, as always. This is an excellent series and highly recommended.
Quote:
I just finished reading of the twelfth (and just released) novel in the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King, Garment of Shadows. It was great , exciting, suspenseful, engaging and that makes it a lot like the other eleven books in the series though also different in many ways! They all are like this. a lot like the others, but also quite different.
Finished the latest Mary Russell Garment of Shadows. As Alan says, exciting and suspenseful and very engaging. All in all, delightful. But now I need to decide what to read next. I've got the latest Webscription bundle which has a couple books of interest here, and I've got a bunch of other stuff in my TBR that I really should give a try to. Ah, well, something will catch my fancy tonight. Meanwhile, I also finished Balance of Trade, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, read by Kevin T. Collins. On to Local Custom for my audio reading.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #14215
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Quote:
It was just a year ago, soon after the release of Ghost Story by Jim Butcher, the 13th book in The Dresden Files series that I decided to re-read the entire series before reading the new release. So beginning on September 17th I started re-reading Storm Front and I finishing reading Changes on October 20th. Then I read Ghost Story and finished it on October 25th.

So this year I'm going to start my 2nd annual Dresden Files re-read early, so that when the late November release of Cold Days, the 14th book in the series, happens I'll be ready.
Completed Storm Front last night. It was again, a real treat! And so today I'll begin Fool Moon. What Fun it is revisiting Harry Dresden!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #14216
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A Winter Haunting is great so far, it gave me nightmares last night.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #14217
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I finished A Game of Thrones. Moving on the A Clash of Kings.

Started watching the TV show. Do you know how far into the books the series goes? I don't want to watch beyond what I have read about.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #14218
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I finished A Game of Thrones. Moving on the A Clash of Kings.

Started watching the TV show. Do you know how far into the books the series goes? I don't want to watch beyond what I have read about.

BOb
Season 1 covers A Game of Thrones, season 2 covers A Clash of Kings.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #14219
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just started Solomon Vs Lord. This has been on my TBR list for a little while now. I got it free from either Amazon or B & N, I do not remember. So far it is very enjoyable and if it continues this way I will be being the rest of the series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #14220
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I finished Black Swan Green by David Mitchell, this month's pick for the lit book club. It's set in 1981/82 small-town England and narrated by a 13-year-old boy with a slight stammer who's interested in poetry and literature and is in that mid-popularity ranking at school where he's always trying to hide his differences for fear of falling to unpopularity, while also going through the general awkwardness of that age. It's absolutely chock full of early 80's Brit pop-culture references and slang during the Thatcher/Falklands War era.

I found it an enjoyable read and loved being immersed into that time and perspective, though I feel the writing was at times uneven. But when it was good, it was really very good.

Next up is the Frederick Ahl translation of The Aeneid by Virgil that I'm reading for the thread here.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote