Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast
ChrisKaos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch USB Networking/SSH

I hear a lot of people talking about this, and I honestly have no clue how it works or what it is, but I'd like to find out, and I've so far been unable to find a user friendly, novice/beginner/ignorant person guide to how it works.

Could someone direct me to something along those lines?
ChrisKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKaos View Post
Could someone direct me to something along those lines?
Hi and welcome to MR. As always, wiki's your first friend and then forums. Here you can find simple step-by-step guides. Isn't it good enough?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I think you're underestimating the level of my ignorance.

I've looked at that before, and it's quite confusing. I have the jailbreak and launcher installed, so I know I can start usbnetworking, but as to how I effect changes or SSH into the device, it gives no indication. It gives instructions how to enable it, but assumes one knows what to do once it's been enabled, and of course I do not.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worries.
so you have it enabled? Then, the rest is a breeze, I'll walk you through.

Do you have the USBNetwork installed with GUI launcher installer? If so, you would have this available to you: "Menu > Launcher > Start USBNetworking" Select it. If you don't have, just go to your Kindle's main screen and type ";un" without double quotes.
Then attach your Kindle to your PC. Now confirm to me that when you did this, your Kindle doesn't go to the so called USB mode.

Now, we have to actually connect. Are you in Windows? If so install Putty and configure it so you can connect to 192.168.15.244 with username "root" and password of your Kindle.

Let me know where you are stuck and I'll help.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 04-24-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
ChrisKaos: I do not really understand what you need it for, given that you don't have knowledge about shell access/SSH yet. You are aware that it makes it easy to brick your Kindle, right? That is not intended to sound harsh, just a fair warning. Of course you can start learning about Linux/Unix command line interfaces with your Kindle, too.

BTW, when you follow cscat suggestions and you _are_ running Windows, you may find that there's no "ssh" command installed. Windows doesn't ship with an SSH client, so you might have to install it yourself. However, my recommendation would not have been a pure CLI client but rather PuTTY, I think. But either one should work.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast

I turned on USB networking via the launcher. Connected it to my computer by USB. Kindle did not go into USB drive mode.

I opened up cmd and typed what you said and it spat out "'ssh' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I was kind of hoping I could do this via wifi as well, but baby steps I guess.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
ChrisKaos: I do not really understand what you need it for, given that you don't have knowledge about shell access/SSH yet. You are aware that it makes it easy to brick your Kindle, right? That is not intended to sound harsh, just a fair warning. Of course you can start learning about Linux/Unix command line interfaces with your Kindle, too.

BTW, when you follow cscat suggestions and you _are_ running Windows, you may find that there's no "ssh" command installed. Windows doesn't ship with an SSH client, so you might have to install it yourself. However, my recommendation would not have been a pure CLI client but rather PuTTY, I think. But either one should work.
I realize that, but I'm intelligent enough not to mess around with this without consulting supporting documents and following instructions to the letter, or inquiring here with those who are vastly more knowledgeable.

I have no intention of just doing random junk to it.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
thatworkshop
hub

good. I edited my previous post. Please read it again.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think besides the problem I mentioned (no SSH client installed), you might also have missed to set a proper IP address to the USB network device on your host PC that should have shown up instead of the Mass Storage device.

Edit: Three people posting almost at the same time. Please try to make sense of it :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Now, we have to actually connect. Are you in Windows? If so install Putty and configure it so you can connect to 192.168.15.244 with username "root" and password of your Kindle.

Let me know where you are stuck and I'll help.
I assume I put that IP under Host Name in the Session tab (with the default port of 22?). I'm unsure, however, where to put the username or password. There seem to be a couple of locations where a username may go, but no location for a password (which I *think* I managed to set by using the ;un password command).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill
I think besides the problem I mentioned (no SSH client installed), you might also have missed to set a proper IP address to the USB network device on your host PC that should have shown up instead of the Mass Storage device.
Umm...I don't know what this means exactly, but if I had to guess, I'd say it had to do with having my computer's assigned IP be something specific. I think I read that somewhere.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
I assume I put that IP under Host Name in the Session tab (with the default port of 22?).
Yes to all.

Quote:
I'm unsure, however, where to put the username or password.
Connection > Data > Autologin username
password will be asked later.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast

Network error: connection timed out.

I recall reading somewhere that my computer's IP has to be something particular?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Network error: connection timed out.

I recall reading somewhere that my computer's IP has to be something particular?
To communicate "normally" it just needs to be a unique IP address in the same subnet (first 3 octets the same as the kindle). But some diagnostic functions want it to be 192.168.15.201, so that is a good IP address to use for the host PC side of your USBnet connection. And the K5(touch) is then 192.168.15.244. You cannot have any OTHER network device using that subnet at the same time, or it will interfere with the USBnet connection. For example, you can only plug in ONE kindle at a time that uses that subnet.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
To communicate "normally" it just needs to be a unique IP address in the same subnet (first 3 octets the same as the kindle). But some diagnostic functions want it to be 192.168.15.201, so that is a good IP address to use for the host PC side of your USBnet connection. And the K5(touch) is then 192.168.15.244. You cannot have any OTHER network device using that subnet at the same time, or it will interfere with the USBnet connection. For example, you can only plug in ONE kindle at a time that uses that subnet.
My computer's IP is 192.168.1.109, and if I do ;711 on my kindle, it shows the device IP as 192.168.1.159
Old 04-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
My computer's IP is 192.168.1.109, and if I do ;711 on my kindle, it shows the device IP as 192.168.1.159
That is a different interface, probably connected to an ethernet port or wifi.

If you have the USBnet driver installed on your PC, it will show in linux as device usb0 when the kindle is plugged in, or on windows it will show as an RNDIS network device.

You need to manually assign the IP address for that device on the host PC because the kindle is not running a DHCP server.

The ;711 command on the kindle also shows the IP of a different device (the wifi port). The USBnet will use the IP addresses I said in my previous post.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote