Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Beautify Baen e-books

I have quite a few e-books from Baen and noticed that they use straight quotes instead of curly quotes. So I searched for a script or program that automatically converts the quotes, but couldn't find one that I could use. Then I discovered the program "sed" and made a dirty little one-liner that converts the HTML file from the exploded Baen LIT:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
set -e

mv "$1" "$1.backup"
cat "$1.backup" | sed -e 's|"\([^"][^"]*\)"|“\1”|g' -e 's|"|“|g' -e 's|=“[^”]*”|="\0"|g' -e 's|=“||g' -e 's|”"|"|g' -e 's|=”[^“]*“|="\0"|g' -e 's|=”||g' -e 's|“"|"|g' -e "s| '| ‘|g" -e "s|'|’|g" -e "s|“|\“|g" -e "s|”|\”|g" -e "s|‘|\‘|g" -e "s|’|\’|g" -e "s|\. \. \.|\…|g" -e "s|\.\.\.|\…|g" -e "s|\.\ \.\ \.|\…|g" -e "s|\. \. \. \.|\…|g" -e "s|\.\.\.\.|\…|g" -e "s|\.\ \.\ \.\ \.|\…|g" -e 's|\“+//|"+//|g' -e 's|//EN\”|//EN"|g' -e 's|\“http://openebook|"http://openebook|g' -e 's|\.dtd\”>|\.dtd">|g' > "$1"

exit 0
Maybe someone will find this useful. It converts straight quotes to curly quotes and ". . ." and ". . . ." to "…" (…) – and of course it makes a backup of the original HTML file.
I haven't tried, but there's sed for Windows too.

Are there other – maybe nicer – ways to do this task? My one-liner works well with Baen books, but has some limitations.

By the way, why is it that Baen Mobipocket e-books look nicer when exploding the MS Reader LIT and converting to Mobipocket yourself?

Last edited by IceHand; 02-22-2008 at 12:30 PM.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
By the way, why is it that Baen Mobipocket e-books look nicer when exploding the MS Reader LIT and converting to Mobipocket yourself?
Until a couple of months ago Baen used a pretty bad Mobipocket creator - those are the files you get with a ".prc" extension. They've now started to use a much better converter and the new files (which have a ".mobi" extension) are very nice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert