Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #931
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
How so?
If I understand correctly, once you transfer a borrowed ebook to a dedicated eink reader, then return the ebook early via ADE on your computer, you can continue to read the book on your device until the original expiry date. After you've returned the book early, someone else may subsequently sign out the book from the library while you still have access to it.

I doubt many library users bother to return books early and a lot of users read on tablets/phones using the Overdrive app rather than a dedicated device, so this "loophole" is probably not much of a concern.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #932
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
If I understand correctly, once you transfer a borrowed ebook to a dedicated eink reader, then return the ebook early via ADE on your computer, you can continue to read the book on your device until the original expiry date. After you've returned the book early, someone else may subsequently sign out the book from the library while you still have access to it.

I doubt many library users bother to return books early and a lot of users read on tablets/phones using the Overdrive app rather than a dedicated device, so this "loophole" is probably not much of a concern.
Oh, I thought the commenter was referring to something new. Agreed, I doubt anyone will go through the trouble to return a book they still read early, since so many people can't even be bothered to return their darn books and audiobook when they are done with them - some of my hold lists are crazy!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #933
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Oh, I thought the commenter was referring to something new. Agreed, I doubt anyone will go through the trouble to return a book they still read early, since so many people can't even be bothered to return their darn books and audiobook when they are done with them - some of my hold lists are crazy!
Perhaps some of them still haven't finished the book by the time their loan expires. I have friends like that.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #934
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, they fixed whatever was causing the display issues, but now they removed the ability to see installment numbers in a series in list view. Is anyone else seeing this?
I am getting so aggravated with them, as this is exactly waht they did last year. When you are looking at a 10+ book series, this is a real issue.

I wish people who dream up these updates actually bothered using the system, so they'd know what they are doing

ETA: eschwartz, true, I did not even consider this possibility, cause I breeze through books... so I take it back :S

Last edited by xendula; 06-04-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #935
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have now been hit multiple times in a row with the two-times login requirement...

Is it becoming a more and more frequent problem???

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-06-2014 at 01:54 AM. Reason: grammar
Advert
Old 06-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #936
xendula
eBookworm

^ That's been ongoing for me since it started.

Also, the display issues are back in all my three libraries. Maybe they make frequent changes overnight.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #937
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I never used to get it, so I worry it is becoming a more common issue.

Ah, well... maybe if they get more reports they will have to fix it.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #938
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Ugh the new circle icon looks very horrible done. It also covers the title more.
Just do what I do. I use the list and then I can easily read the title and author.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #939
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
From WPLC:
Quote:
OverDrive's digital library website release notes - June 19, 2014

Below is a summary of updates for the OverDrive digital library website that are planned for release on June 19:
  • Users will be able to search by ISBN via the Advanced Search.
  • The Wish List will be updated in the following ways:

All lists (including Wish List, Recommended for you, etc.) will be presented upon clicking ‘Lists’ under ‘Account’ (previously the lists were in a drop down menu).

Users will be able to borrow, sample, share, add to Wish List, and see title details all directly from the cover image (same changes that were made throughout the site in the previous release).

There will be an option to filter the Wish List by titles that are available now.
  • Bug fixes

Last edited by jhowell; 06-19-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Formatting
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #940
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Thanks, jhowell.
I'm glad to see that Wish List will be filterable by Available Now.

I am happy to report that the multiple-login issue seems to have been resolved with the NC library.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #941
tracings
Enthusiast
tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook HD, Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma
Icons not rendering

Around the time of the latest redesign, my Firefox browser started showing a strange thing in the upper corner of the book covers. Basically, I don't get an image at all, but instead an oval with "EG00" in it. I am using Firefox 29 on a Windows 7 computer. Attached, I think (I hope), is an sample screenshot from my wishlist.

Does anyone know what settings I should use to be able to view the image instead of strange and tiny code? I'll be honest: I've only read about half the postings on this thread, so my answer may be hiding somewhere in the middle. If so, please forgive me, and please point me in the right direction!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overdrive2.PNG
Views:	201
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	124341  
tracings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #942
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracings View Post
Around the time of the latest redesign, my Firefox browser started showing a strange thing in the upper corner of the book covers. Basically, I don't get an image at all, but instead an oval with "EG00" in it. I am using Firefox 29 on a Windows 7 computer. Attached, I think (I hope), is an sample screenshot from my wishlist.

Does anyone know what settings I should use to be able to view the image instead of strange and tiny code? I'll be honest: I've only read about half the postings on this thread, so my answer may be hiding somewhere in the middle. If so, please forgive me, and please point me in the right direction!
Are you using an Ad blocker? Try turning it off.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #943
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Are you using an Ad blocker? Try turning it off.
There would have to be a rule which matched Overdrive; besides, I am using Adblock and they're not blocked.

Adblock rules are biased towards caution and avoiding false positives.

There are so many reasons why a resource may be blocked, why pick on adblock...
Old 06-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #944
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
There would have to be a rule which matched Overdrive; besides, I am using Adblock and they're not blocked.

Because I have had problem in the past with it blocking things if it's not configure right. No one is picking on anything But it's common sense if something isn't showing to troubleshoot and that's the first thing I would do. Actually the first thing I would do is start FF in safemode if it fixes then I would start disabling extensions one by one till I found it and Ad blockers and scripts extensions would be the first I'd disable. I'm not sure why you have a problem with this?

One thing an ad blocker doesn't need a rule to block Overdrive if you added a wide enough rule to block certain images it will do that too. You can also accidentally block stuff. I have done this. You go to right click menu and your mouse jumps so instead of copy you hit block.

Last edited by Blossom; 06-18-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:47 AM   #945
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

I do use Ghostery and sometimes it does cause a problem on a given site. I can either find what it is blocking that is causing the problem and turn it back on, I can pause blocking, or I can whitelist the site. Ghostery causes more problems then Ad Block Plus does. But overall, it's worth the hassle. Once I either figure out what breaks or whitlist, then I won't have problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote