Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Kindle Keyboard reliable? Lot of faulty for sale

I searched on eBay a couple of hours ago for a Kindle Keyboard and notice that of the first 10 I looked at filtering by "ending soonest" 7 of them were sold as being faulty.

Of the 7, 4 had cracked screens and the others were frozen.

I guess it was just coincidence, but I also wondered if they had some inherent unreliability or fragility?
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have had my Kindle Keyboard since June 2011 and haven't had any problems with it.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 09-27-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: wrong year
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I've had mine since January 2011 and have never had a problem with it...so far. I've dropped it a few times. Hard enough for it to partially come apart. I popped the back piece back in place and no problem afterwards. As long as it's in a good case and you don't sit on it there shouldn't be any issues.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
You can't draw any conclusions from the seven faulty models you saw on eBay. It's quite possible that the very fact that they were faulty was the reason they were being sold. It's not a representative sample.

If there was some "inherent unreliability or fragility", I think we'd all know about it by know - and so would Amazon.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I have had my k3-3g for two years in two more months. It has been dropped (in case) trampled on by my dog and cats, left out in the boiling texas sun, survived one battery replacement by me, and so far unless "Murphy" does not strike me down because I am bragging about this, my kindle k3 looks and works as good as it did new and out of the box.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
You can't draw any conclusions from the seven faulty models you saw on eBay. It's quite possible that the very fact that they were faulty was the reason they were being sold. It's not a representative sample.

If there was some "inherent unreliability or fragility", I think we'd all know about it by know - and so would Amazon.

Mike
I don't disagree, I am not trying to make any point I just thought it was a lot.

I must have been bored today because just after I posted my question I then did another ebay search (UK).

Searching by "Kindle Keyboard" produced 197 results but 4 of those were just cases leaving 193

Using "Kindle Keyboard (fault, faulty, spares, repairs, broken, cracked)" produced 37.

I then looked at the low value Keyboards that did not mention any fault in the description and immediately found another 13 being sold as "spares or repairs". I stopped looking at about £9. So the total number that were faulty was 50 which is 26%.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Broken screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
I searched on eBay a couple of hours ago for a Kindle Keyboard and notice that of the first 10 I looked at filtering by "ending soonest" 7 of them were sold as being faulty.

Of the 7, 4 had cracked screens and the others were frozen.

I guess it was just coincidence, but I also wondered if they had some inherent unreliability or fragility?
Broken screens are not faulty they are broken.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Yep!
They usually get broken by having something stupid or dumb happen to them. They usually do not just break by themselves.

Edit: Some "accidents" are no fault of the owner!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
vans
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

That is why I wondered if the screen were fragile (more prone to breaking than other Kindles).
Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post

Edit: Some "accidents" are no fault of the owner!

In my house, they are generally the fault of the owner's dog.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
That is why I wondered if the screen were fragile (more prone to breaking than other Kindles).
No more fragile than others, from what I can tell.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
In my house, they are generally the fault of the owner's dog.
Your dog wouldn't be named "Marley" by chance?

Sorry for the slight kink
in the "Topic".

Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool not prone to breaking

Quote:
No, I don't believe so. I've been reading daily on mine since mid-April of 2011.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Yes, they are fragile. They are made of glass, and glass breaks. But I wouldn't think they are any more or less fragile than other e-readers - certainly not enough to be a reason for not buying them.

Your researches into eBay are interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Yes, they are fragile. They are made of glass, and glass breaks. But I wouldn't think they are any more or less fragile than other e-readers - certainly not enough to be a reason for not buying them.
I'm pretty sure all eink screens have the same glass substrate, so the K3 isn't any more fragile than any other eink ereader. I would think the DX and other large format screens would be more prone to breakage, as their larger form is easier to "twist."
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote