Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Chase, James Hadley: 12 Chinamen And A Woman. v1.0 13 July 07

This is an interesting book with an interesting history. The title, as you may percieve, is offensive in its implications. An earlier title was even more offensive. [As an added bonus, I've included 6 different covers of this book at the end of the novel.]

However, Chase (the author) was a respected writer of mysteries. This book features detective Dave Fenner, who has a heart of gold and something extra for the bedroom....

This book is a continuing series of efforts to bring noir paperback mysteries to those who like to read these, whether as cultural artifacts and/or as entertainment.

Here's a quote from one source:

" Fenner is a typical hard-boiled private eye with an attitude that walks the line between wiseguy and sainthood. As such, he represents every male reader's ego, labido, and superego -- one always pulling at the other."

And from the same source:

"Here are all the ingredients of the perfect fastmoving novel: love, passion, violence, and suspense, skilfully blended by James Hadley Chase and served up piping hot with murder on the side. This thrill-packed trip through gangland will bring you face to face with such interesting characters as:

"TWELVE CHINAMEN IN A BOAT: Who hadn't seen a woman in six weeks and were rapidly approaching the pleasure-coast of Florida.

"GLORIE LEADLER: A bewitching blonde who seasoned her amorous escapades with the spice of life -- variety.

"DETECTIVE DAVE FENNER: Whose calloused Broadway heart developed an unsuspected tender emotion when Glorie paid a surprise visit to his bedroom.

"PIO CARLOS: A smooth young man from Cuba who thought that he had found a key to Glorie's heart, when he really held only the key to his own tomb.

"NIGHTINGALE: A wily nightbird who let a burly .45 do his talking for him.

"If you like your romance supercharged, with no sidetracks or local stops for a breather, climb aboard this Special by the author of "The Villain and the Virgin" and get set for romance and thrills unlimited."

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I liked him so much when I was younger. He was my top writer when I was 16-18 years old. I learned about 2 pedal cars with no clutch...I didn't believe him then, I thought it was a Sci-Fi
I am surprised he is out of copy right domain. I thought he is much younger.

Thanks
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I know this book is out of copyright.

However, I don't know - at this moment - what else might be out of copyright. --- Let me know if there are any format problems or issues.

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote