Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #46
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Those discussing A Brief History of Time are much closer, though this book's a bit more technical than Hawking's.
More technical than Hawking?

Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #47
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Hehe. It *is* a children's book.
So is LOTR (for teenage boys)

*crawls under sofa*
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #48
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I have a confession: I sort of knew what you meant. I just don't subscribe to the idea that growth can only be achieved through books that bore me to tears.
Boredom is a foolish state of mind. It is chosen. It's not the book's fault you aren't applying your mind to it properly.

If the book is of low quality or too difficult for your current reading level, and it impacts your comprehension, okay. But if you find challenging books boring, you've chosen that and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Last edited by hardcastle; 07-24-2014 at 03:58 PM.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #49
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
So is LOTR (for teenage boys)

*crawls under sofa*

*puts elephant on sofa*
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #50
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's because it IS a children's book.
Oh, I know, but the 'patronizing' tone of speaking down to children made it harder to enjoy.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #51
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

*puts elephant on sofa*
Aww, thank you

Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcastle View Post
Boredom is a foolish state of mind. It is chosen. It's not the book's fault you aren't applying your mind to it properly.
That's just silly. It implies that every book written is worthy of being read. It also suggests that the author bears no responsibility for how his/her message/lesson/story is presented. Some books just suck. I'm not going to finish a book I think sucks.

Quote:
If the book is of low quality or too difficult for your current reading level, and it impacts your comprehension, okay. But if you find challenging books boring, you've chosen that and you have no one to blame but yourself.
Let's stop this, shall we? Challenging is not the problem. I have no problem with challenging. I embrace challenging. I don't find challenging inherently boring at all. It is dull, uninspired blathering (regardless of the difficulty level) that I find boring--and will only slog through that for so long before ditching it in favor of an author who understands that challenging does not get a "get out of being interesting free card." It's called "writing" not "telling."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2014 at 11:05 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #53
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Since 2011 I've abandoned 22% of books started. This figure doesn't include the hundreds of titles I sampled and not purchased. I prefer not to waste my time with a book I am not or will not enjoy.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #54
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcastle View Post
If finishing every book I start means I end up with such an elitist attitude filled with assumptions then I'll continue not finishing them.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #55
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's Ok. The growth portion of my life is over too. I'm actually striving to shrink a a bit. I already have trouble fitting me into smaller rooms.
I like your sense of humor.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote