Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
pumpkinpbk
pumpkinpbk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
how to use the image viewer in KT 5.1.0

some people just create an images directory put the pics in it and the viewer is activated,but mine doesn't work that way...is there anything essential i missed to run the viewer?
pumpkinpbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpbk View Post
some people just create an images directory put the pics in it and the viewer is activated,but mine doesn't work that way...is there anything essential i missed to run the viewer?

Not sure what you mean by "activated"?

I just created a directory (folder) called images, & copied a shed load of pictures in there for my wife.

Said images folder then appears in the "My Items" screen. Tap on the images folder name & there you have a list of pictures which you can tap to view, etc..

HTH
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
AFAIK KTouch does not have a picture viewer.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post

I just created a directory (folder) called images, & copied a shed load of pictures in there for my wife.

Said images folder then appears in the "My Items" screen. Tap on the images folder name & there you have a list of pictures which you can tap to view, etc..

HTH
This does not work on Kindle Touch.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This does not work on Kindle Touch.
I have only the one to try it on, my wife's Touch of about 2 weeks, 5.1.0, & what I described works fine.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have only the one to try it on, my wife's Touch of about 2 weeks, 5.1.0, & what I described works fine.
Maybe the 5.1 update added this back. It definitely didn't work before that. I'll give it a try.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe the 5.1 update added this back. It definitely didn't work before that. I'll give it a try.
Ha, yes, it works, though not as functional as before. You can put into folders or .zip files to organize. But you can't delete or put into Collections as previously, or zoom/pan, change orientation etc. Seems they only show up near the end of My Items list (Dictionaries, Images, Periodicals, Archived Items).
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
pumpkinpbk
pumpkinpbk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:

HTH
i've done all this but nothing happens
no images folder in the "my items" screen
pumpkinpbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Remember that the Kindle's file system is case-sensitive. Are you sure that your folder is called "images", and not "Images"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
tvjohn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpbk View Post
i've done all this but nothing happens
no images folder in the "my items" screen
Unfortunately you don't actually point out *where* you put this folder

It needs to go into the main directory that you see when you open, or double click, your Kindle when it's plugged in via USB, ie., NOT in the documents folder.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Remember that the Kindle's file system is case-sensitive. Are you sure that your folder is called "images", and not "Images"?
It doesn't seem to matter whether it starts out as 'images' or 'IMAGES' or 'ImAgEs': Kindle renames to 'Images'. But those seem to be the magic six letters you need to use.

Does anyone happen to know if this feature was there prior to the 5.1 update? I know I tried to get it to work before, but it's quite possible I missed seeing the 'Images' folder at the end of the 'My Items' listing.

In any case it is not really better than just sending a .zip file with your images to the Kindle's email and having Amazon convert to a Personal Document. But it's nice to have options...
Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Does anyone happen to know if this feature was there prior to the 5.1 update? I know I tried to get it to work before, but it's quite possible I missed seeing the 'Images' folder at the end of the 'My Items' listing.

In any case it is not really better than just sending a .zip file with your images to the Kindle's email and having Amazon convert to a Personal Document. But it's nice to have options...
If the feature was there, I don't recall seeing it. But everyone got spoiled by dumping everything into the Documents folder, like the non-Touch versions, I guess. This was the first I'd heard of it (dumping an Images folder into the root folder of the Kindle, just like the Documents and Audible folders).

As for the latter? I disagree; if you've already converted items via Mangle to Kindle-sized greyscale images before this, this current Image Viewer still works well. It's not as functional as before, but now you can get full-screen images which, if you've resized them with Mangle, are perfectly smooth and readable if they're already set at the native Kindle resolution. There's a bit of a margin on the right side, and it still takes a moment to unzip items (if they're zipped) into a .tmp folder, but it's heads and tails above trying to put image files into an KF8-format AZW or PDF file... which would STILL not be full-paged.

And it's a lot easier to use an Images folder to get to your items (zipped up nicely, for ease of browsing), than to go through the main Documents folder to see 50 items, all starting with the name 'IMAGE_'.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
If the feature was there, I don't recall seeing it. But everyone got spoiled by dumping everything into the Documents folder, like the non-Touch versions, I guess. This was the first I'd heard of it (dumping an Images folder into the root folder of the Kindle, just like the Documents and Audible folders).

As for the latter? I disagree; if you've already converted items via Mangle to Kindle-sized greyscale images before this, this current Image Viewer still works well. It's not as functional as before, but now you can get full-screen images which, if you've resized them with Mangle, are perfectly smooth and readable if they're already set at the native Kindle resolution. There's a bit of a margin on the right side, and it still takes a moment to unzip items (if they're zipped) into a .tmp folder, but it's heads and tails above trying to put image files into an KF8-format AZW or PDF file... which would STILL not be full-paged.

And it's a lot easier to use an Images folder to get to your items (zipped up nicely, for ease of browsing), than to go through the main Documents folder to see 50 items, all starting with the name 'IMAGE_'.
Well, it depends on the specific requirements as to which is 'better' or 'more convenient'. All options are worth knowing about.

Image viewer has no pan/zoom so if you need to view higher resolution images, 800x600 may not be enough. There is no way to save 'reading position', etc. Also you have to manage it all with USB cable, which is sometimes not as convenient as wireless. Personal Documents can be consumed on higher resolution color devices, etc. as well.

What I'd like to do is to combine something like Mangle with a script that produces a mobi/kf8 document with the images reduced to a grid of thumbnails (with text captions) that you can touch-and-hold to zoom, etc.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Actually this image viewer feature seems like it is 95% of the way to being a screensaver feature, i.e. designed as such. The Images list just needs a way to select one of its items to serve as screensaver. The 600x800 restriction and lack of image manipulation features (like pan and zoom, rotate, 'manga' panning mode, saving 'reading position', that the previous Kindle image viewers all had) become virtues of minimalism. As an image viewer, it is not so good, but as a screensaver feature (again with just a wee bit of code), it would be quite adequate.