Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
HTC: No iPad Rival Soon

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3421...pad-rival-soon

Quote:
Eric Lin, the company's global PR and online community manager, told Pocket-lint: "We are always looking at it, but, right now, the whole idea is that in order to be successful with a tablet, you need to have something compelling. And not just a compelling form factor".
Quote:
"You’ve seen how, at Computex, there were 80 different Android tablets", he continued. "So if we just release an Android tablet, then we’re one of 81… Whereas, if we have a compelling feature, a really compelling use, anything like that, then it’ll help us to stand out. It’s going to take a lot of work searching for that".
Smart plan, I think.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I wouldn't be surprised if HTC wait until google opens up the market place for larger screen devices, it will be much easier to bring products to the market more quickly if you don't have to mess around building your own store like most of the others seem to have to do currently.

I think his current comments are hiding their true intentions because after all they don't mind competing in the crowded arena of android mobile phones.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if HTC wait until google opens up the market place for larger screen devices, it will be much easier to bring products to the market more quickly if you don't have to mess around building your own store like most of the others seem to have to do currently.

I think his current comments are hiding their true intentions because after all they don't mind competing in the crowded arena of android mobile phones.
I agree, the Android Market is a key factor in Android's ability to compete with Apple - any device that lacks the Market is going to be crippled in comparison to the iPad.

I know my own interest in an Android tablet waned considerably when I discovered they won't have Market access.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post

I agree, HTC phones are nice enough (I have one), but there's not a huge big difference between the HTC smartphones, Moto, Samsung, LG, Sony/Errickson, Nokia, Apple, etc. If HTC didn't want to participate in markets where they did not have differentiation, they'd get out of phones. We may all get caught up in some of the new features and who has the technological lead this week, but ultimately the differences are getting to the point where they're not all that significant. Granted, there's still a lot of progress and so forth, screen quality, processor speed, battery life, so a new phone is generally better than an old phone (and the 2-year contracts in the U.S. mean that frequently you have 1+ year on an obsolete phone to deal with), but the differences from manufacturer to manufacturer are not that significant at any given moment. As an example, the iPhone 4, which is so hot right now and selling like hotcakes, is arguably already obsoleted by the Droid-X. Next week, it will be HTC or someone else. It's leap-frog out there.

So I think I'd interpret the HTC statement too literally, but something more along the lines of:
  1. Gee, our Engineers are pretty busy with phones, and...
  2. We really did not expect Apple to sell so many iPads
  3. So we're probably going to sit out this dance for now, at least until...
  4. Google or someone else comes up with a nice Linux Tablet OS + Marketplace

The revolution here isn't really with eReaders or smartphones or tablets, it's with portable computers with different screen sizes and decent battery life that you don't have to be a techie to understand or operate.

Last edited by pwjone1; 07-11-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Munged a sentence
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Content, people, content...
It's what propelled the iPod and now the iPad. Sony followed suit and managed to get fair success with the Reader as did the Kindle and others.
None would have reached success on its own without a use of its own...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
What we don't need is more reader locked stores !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are stores out there that will gladly associate with readers of all kind. Take for example the association of SmashWords, BooksOnBoard with Stanza. A Stanza app is available for the iPad and smart phones. A new tablet like the probable HTC tablet would suffer without such an association. It will have to choose a market into which to evolve first.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, but what I mean is a reader, as they were once upon a time, could read mobi, ePub etc from which ever store would sell the book - then along came Kindle and the link to Amazon, now iPad with Apple. Yes you can get an app - but originally it wasn't needed....
Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Yep, but what I mean is a reader, as they were once upon a time, could read mobi, ePub etc from which ever store would sell the book - then along came Kindle and the link to Amazon, now iPad with Apple. Yes you can get an app - but originally it wasn't needed....
I see your point. As a user I go to several iPad related sites and most don't even use Apple's iBooks. The apparent favorite is Stanza, followed by Amazon and Kobo. All before iBooks...
I prefer Stanza too.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I see your point. As a user I go to several iPad related sites and most don't even use Apple's iBooks. The apparent favorite is Stanza, followed by Amazon and Kobo. All before iBooks...
I prefer Stanza too.

I went into the local Apple store and asked about whether the iPad/iBooks was restricted and I was told yes by one of the 'experts.

Are those apps free ?

The Times (UK) has a monthly fee to use it
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Btw. iBooks does not come on board the iPad. It's an app like any other that you have to load. But all are free.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

iBooks is geographically restricted. That's mostly why it's not the preferred choice.

I'm not far away from deleting it...
Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Btw. iBooks does not come on board the iPad. It's an app like any other that you have to load. But all are free.

yes I knew that ...

just wasn't sure about the others you mentioned. Still a book on my two readers and I can read without having to download anything 'special'.

wouldn't stop me getting an iPad, though, if need arose ..... (and price came down......)
Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
yes I knew that ...

just wasn't sure about the others you mentioned. Still a book on my two readers and I can read without having to download anything 'special'.

wouldn't stop me getting an iPad, though, if need arose ..... (and price came down......)
Price is a concern but it's almost the same as purchasing an iPhone. This is why I recommend buying the 3G. The iPad gains everything when surfing the web out there, anywhere. That is what convinced me. It came as an epiphany when I replied to a thread here standing in line. I thought it would be awkward to do, but no! Typing with thumbs is adequate enough.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Current eBook apps/stores for the iPad (probably not conclusive):

iBooks (Apple bookstore)
Kindle (Amazon)
B&N
Borders
Kobo
Stanza (with a variety of book stores and free sources)

All are available for free download.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote