Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Cover comments please?

for a fairy tale about gargoyles. The Heart of Rock is the magic amulet that gives the gargoyles life; it's a small red sandstone rock. Keith Draws is doing the cover for me.

Mostly I like it; I'm not sure about my name being in stark white though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heart of rock Rev Kindle cove2r.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	106185  
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I like the contrasting colors and the backdrop of scales. I don't see anything obviously wrong.

Good luck with it!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There's a stark contrast between the very fancily formatted title and the very plain author name. I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's a bad thing, though it does look a little like the author name was added as an afterthought.

All that said, I'm not really familiar with fantasy covers, which I suspect is where you'd be most likely to see this sort of thing. If the convention is to format the title and leave the author name plain, then there's something to be said for following the convention.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
I like the title illustration, but I think that its impact is diminished by the background, which looks to “clean” to me, as if it was done with a computer. And of course it was done with a computer, but it shouldn’t look like it. I would go with a dirtier green and less highlights, or perhaps even with a black background to strengthen the title.

And the position of the author’s name looks a little unmotivated to me, too. I assume the full-width size of it was used to be readable in the small cover pictures that online shops use, but I don’t think that’s necessary. I would propose to make it much smaller (sorry, Becca!) und put it above the “eart” of “Heart”.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
I assume the full-width size of it was used to be readable in the small cover pictures that online shops use, but I don’t think that’s necessary.
Conventional wisdom seems to say that the title and author should be readable at thumbnail size. I've seen people argue that it's not necessary because when browsing, the title & author name are listed, but that's not universally true - the Kindle Android app, for example, displays a list of book covers at the bottom of the home page.
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Of course there are stores where you only get the thumbnail, and I don’t doubt that it can make sense to have both title and author name big enough (I think a high name recognition would justify it). But still, these rules tend to limit the possibilities of the design too much for my taste, and can lead to uniform covers that look kind of cheap and scream “Buy me!”, instead of being nice to look at.

Perhaps I’m the wrong person to comment here, as I prefer to not submit to these commercial “necessities” when doing my covers. And certainly, this is just my general view that doesn’t necessarily apply to your cover, Becca.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
For the record, I like it. And I don't think there's anything wrong with the size or colour of the author's name.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

new version - the green is slightly toned down, and so is the white.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Heart of Rock Final 600 pixel wide.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	106195  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
avantman42
Wizard

I prefer the new version.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
For a children's book I probably would have expected something a little brighter - and with a picture on it. But from a "what do I personally think" perspective, I quite like it.

I do like the new version best. I find the title is a bit easier to read in the thumbnail, and the author name seems to fit in better (only really noticeable on the large size).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Thanks, all!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yea, I like the second version better.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard

two more cover possibilities

two more possibilities.

I think I like the stone background better than the green scales - should I return the lettering back to a bolder red? I was going after red sandstone look, but it may be too dull.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heart of rock- rev 2 NO shadow on name - Kindle cover.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	622.9 KB
ID:	106217   Click image for larger version

Name:	heart of rock- rev 2 shadow on name - Kindle cover.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	626.0 KB
ID:	106218  
Old 05-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I think I like the earlier (green scales cover better), these ones may come up okay if you brighten the fonts - they look quite washed out as they are now.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

You've been sent PMs. Please do not start new threads on the same subject, as this leads to an undue proliferation of threads on the same thing.

Thank you for your attention to this issue.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-24-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote