Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #256
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Is there a way the plugin could include the "I own this book" field on Goodreads?
At the moment no. And I'm not sure how this fits with this plugin. When do you think this should be retrieved? As part of one of the current functions, or a new on?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:11 AM   #257
elricks
Long in the tooth junior
elricks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Shirley: It isn't the plugin. I did some testing using the tag mapper test dialog. I had the same results. I've added that to the bug report.
Thanks David - I assume that you entry will reactive the bug report that the developer had closed (or similar). I will check the bug report for an update
elricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 12:59 AM   #258
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elricks View Post
Thanks David - I assume that you entry will reactive the bug report that the developer had closed (or similar). I will check the bug report for an update
Possibly. I don't know what happens when a comment is added to a closed bug. In any case, it will probably have a low priority as the circumstances for it a rare. And as Kovid mentioned, the regex pattern you used doesn't really make sense. The pattern of "biog.*" is probably what you need to use, and it doesn't trigger the bug.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #259
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
At the moment no. And I'm not sure how this fits with this plugin. When do you think this should be retrieved? As part of one of the current functions, or a new on?
Sorry, I should have posted this in the sync plugin thread.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #260
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Sorry, I should have posted this in the sync plugin thread.
Apparently I was confused as well: I answered as if it was in the Goodreads sync plugin thread.

Fetching the "owned" info could be part of the metadata fetch, but there are problems. The biggest one is that the plugin doesn't login to your Goodreads account. It has no way to know if you own the book or not. The next problem is where to put it. The metadata source plugins cannot update custom columns. It would have to be added as a tag.

Adding it to Goodreads Sync is easier as that does use your Goodreads credentials. The problem with that is I don't know how it fits into the plugins function and I couldn't quickly see a good way to do it via the Goodread APIs.
Advert
Old 03-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #261
LoZioSpino
LoZioSpino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello, I would like to ask whether you can implement the ability to choose when unloading the metadata, the original publication date.
This is because if the original English book was written in 1990 and the Italian translation was published in 2000, the current plugins picks up the second date while I would be able to enter the first date.
And 'possible to do so?
Thank you!
LoZioSpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #262
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

That probably isn't possible. The plugin reads the page for the book and extracts the metadata from it. Unless the page for the translated book also has the original date in a well defined location on the page, it can't extract the date. By "well defined location", I mean have a consistent place, size, surrounding tags to all the code to read it. If this is the case, I'd need some examples.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #263
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Bearing in mind it's not always present and if all the editions of a book are autoimports, it's guaranteed to be wrong, it does have a consistent position on the page.

What exactly do you need to know David?

You can see it here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...t_Expectations (expand the "more info" if you don't have it already done, and it's right after the pub date for that specific edition.

Paperback, 505 pages
Published June 25th 1998 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 8th 1861)

(re the accuracy: This field is populated in two ways in the GR database - most of the time it's filled in by librarians manually, but it will autogenerate if an edition with an earlier date is combined with editions that already have it. This frequently screws up in the case of PD books that have a million recent new editions but the original book has never been added to the GR database - and it'll say the earliest of the PD republishers dates, which is probably in the 2000's, or whenever it hit Project Gutenberg).

For all these reasons, although I actually go fix the dates on GR, I always check the "get earliest publication date from worldcat" box (don't have Calibre handy right this second, but it's somewhere in the configure metadata download dialogue). Worldcat is a much better, although still not perfect, source of original publication dates, since it comes from library catalogues and the original editions are much more likely to be in the database for semi-obscure titles.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #264
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I just did some tests and looked at the code, and this is already being done. If there is a "first published" in Goodreads page, then that will be used in place of the published date for the edition. This should happen for translations as well. I tried a translation of "Great Expectations", and it worked. If it isn't working for a book, I need a sample.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #265
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Hi David. I think I've actually figured out the original published date being wrong, and it's not GR but Worldcat providing incorrect data.

For the following three ISBNs, if the checkbox in the configure source dialog for "Use published date of "first edition" (from worldcat.org)" is checked, you get incorrect results. Unchecked, it matches the (correct) data shown on Goodreads. It's quite specific to these editions, because they are in fact wrong on Worldcat.

9781101142349 provides 1962 from WC, expecting 1849 (per GR)
9780192806338 - 2003 from WC, expecting 1830
9781588363053 - 1993 from WC, expecting 1873

Since that is, I believe a Calibre-wide checkbox it would be wrong no matter the data source for those specific books (and the reason is simply because those particular editions haven't been linked to all the other editions for those books, whereas they have on GR.) I guess it turned up mostly in the GR plugin, simply because GR is one of the only other sources that routinely provides that data.

My only suggestion for anyone else hitting this issue, if you're getting the wrong result, toggle the checkbox, and try again (thereby hitting the other source for the data).
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #266
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, that sounds right. That option is probably overwriting anything that the metadata source plugin does.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #267
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
How does one download Goodreads' numerical rating and not the stars? Thanks
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #268
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
How does one download Goodreads' numerical rating and not the stars? Thanks
From memory, it already is. But, the rating stored in calibre is an integer between 1 and 5. Hence the rating is rounded or truncated. To get the rating as is on the site, you would need to put it in a column that allowed decimals. But, that would need to be a custom column and metadata sources can only update the standard columns. I don't think there is a plugin that will do this for you.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:31 AM   #269
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
From memory, it already is. But, the rating stored in calibre is an integer between 1 and 5. Hence the rating is rounded or truncated. To get the rating as is on the site, you would need to put it in a column that allowed decimals. But, that would need to be a custom column and metadata sources can only update the standard columns. I don't think there is a plugin that will do this for you.
Thank you. I thought I was missing something. The number of stars isn't helpful to me.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:46 AM   #270
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
But you can use this plugin to extract the rating in float number to a custom column.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223688
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodreads, metadata