Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Entu
Ice queen
Entu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Bookdesigner and win 7.

Sorry but i don;t know in which section ask about to so..

i'm running WIN 7 64bit on my PC, i tried install Bookdesigner4.0 ( i'm hear it is better than Calibre ) but sadly it wont run properly i got message about some missing DDLs, do any one was sucessfull with running BD on WIN 7 64bit maybe and can give me some tips ?
Entu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Did you look at this? Yes, it says it's for installing on Vista, but Win7 builds on Vista and should be similar. IMHO, any app that requires you to jump through so many hoops just to run it on a modern (read: newer than XP) OS is a piece of crap and not worth my time.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
Entu
Ice queen
Entu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thanks, i find similar info but in Russian which i don't speak.
Entu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD is certainly not "a piece of crap". It's my favourite tool, and the program I've used to create every book that I've uploaded here.

There are two things you need to do to make it run on Windows 7:

1. Start a command prompt with admin privileges, navigate to the folder in which you've installed BD, and enter the command:

regsvr32 gflax.dll

2. When you first run it, you'll find that it won't work properly. Exit the program, and Windows will tell you that it needs the dynamic HTML editing control installing. Accept Windows' offer to download and install this control.

Everything should now be fine.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-03-2010 at 02:21 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entu View Post
( i'm hear it is better than Calibre ) but sadly it wont run properly i got message about some missing DDLs, do any one was sucessfull with running BD on WIN 7 64bit maybe and can give me some tips ?
BookDesigner is not "better" than Calibre, because they are for different things. BookDesigner is an editor that can create ebooks in several formats (but, sadly, not in ePub) and Calibre is a library management program that, among many other things, can perform some format shifting operations.

That said, BookDesigner is, IMO, a great program, though a bit old (development stopped 3 years ago) and predates Vista and Seven, so to run it in these systems you have to do some extra work, as Harry has pointed out.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
BD is certainly not "a piece of crap". It's my favourite tool, and the program I've used to create every book that I've uploaded here.

There are two things you need to do to make it run on Windows 7:

1. Start a command prompt with admin privileges, navigate to the folder in which you've installed BD, and enter the command:

regsvr32 gflax.dll

2. When you first run it, you'll find that it won't work properly. Exit the program, and Windows will tell you that it needs the dynamic HTML editing control installing. Accept Windows' offer to download and install this control.

Everything should now be fine.
Is it necessary for 32 and 64 bit, or 64 bit only?
For some reason, I thought BD would not work in W7, so I installed it in Windows XP Mode.
Today, after I read your post, I have followed your instruction and it worked Although, when I ran regsvr32 gflax.dll, it said the installation was successful or something like that and when I started BD it worked. No error messages or invitations for installing dynamic HTML editing control.
I wonder why.

32 bit doesn't need it?

My version of W7 (Professional 32 bit) has it preloaded?

Some of the s/w I installed brought the dynamic HTML editing control into the system?

Thanks!

Last edited by astra; 12-06-2010 at 08:02 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Hmm.
The second time I tried to use it and I did get this error message and had to install the aforementioned s/w.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe the instructions apply to both 32- and 64-bit Windows 7, but since I only have the 64-bit version I can't say for sure.

Pleased to hear that you've got it working!

The dynamic HTML editing control only seems to be used for some of BD's functions. I found, for example, that the "Search and Replace" dialog wouldn't appear until I'd installed it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote