Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Not all of these are available in ebook, alas In no particular order:

- The Sparrow, Mary Doria Russell
- Microserfs, Douglas Coupland
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
- Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
- The Beach, Alex Garland
- 1984, George Orwell
- Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll
- The Shining, Stephen King
- The Blind Assassin, Margaret Atwood
- Wicked, Gregory MacGuire
- A Study in Scarlet, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Lord of the Rings trilogy - J R R Tolkien (I'm counting that as 3)
Interview with the Vampire - Anne Rice
The Vampire Lestat - Anne Rice
The Shining - Stephen King
It - Stephen King
A Time to Kill - John Grisham
Turning Angel - Greg Iles
Frankenstein - Dean Koontz
The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
Shogun - James Clavell
Peter the Great - Robert K Massie
Desiree - Anna Marie Selinko
In the Spirit of Crazy Horse - Peter Matthiessen (sp)
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Dee Brown
The Welsh Trilogy - Sharon K Penman
Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William Shirer
The Thomas Covenant Trilogy (1st three books) - Stephen R Donaldson
The Outlander Series - Dianna Gabaldon
Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak
I, Claudius - Robert Graves

And just one more--- The Iliad and The Oddessy - Flagle editions
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?
williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Here's this week's version, quick before I change my mind.

Robert Louis Stevenson - Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde
Raymond Chandler - The Long Goodbye
H P Lovecraft - At the Mountains of Madness
John Wyndham - The Day of the Triffids
Theodore Sturgeon - The Dreaming Jewels
George R R Martin - Fevre Dream
Dashiell Hammett - The Maltese Falcon
T E D Klein - The Ceremonies
William Hjortsberg - Falling Angel
Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates
Robert Holdstock - Mythago Wood

Last edited by williemeikle; 10-21-2010 at 10:39 AM.
williemeikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #20
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The Grapes of Wrath John Steinbeck
Dhalgren - Samueal R. Delaney
Foundation Trilogy - Issac Asimov
Dune - Frank Herbert
Breathing Lessons - Anne Tyler
Lord of the Rings - J R R Tolkien
City - Clifford D. Simak
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

I should probably make it 12 and get The Road by Cormac McCarthy in there

Why Top 11 .... Why not Top 37.5 .... sorry just being Devils Advocate
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paegan2246 View Post
Shogun - James Clavell
Peter the Great - Robert K Massie
Desiree - Anna Marie Selinko
In the Spirit of Crazy Horse - Peter Matthiessen (sp)
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Dee Brown
The Welsh Trilogy - Sharon K Penman
Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William Shirer
The Thomas Covenant Trilogy (1st three books) - Stephen R Donaldson
The Outlander Series - Dianna Gabaldon
Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak
I, Claudius - Robert Graves

And just one more--- The Iliad and The Oddessy - Flagle editions
Yea! for Donaldson/Covenant!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Why Top 11 .... Why not Top 37.5 .... sorry just being Devils Advocate

Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #23
iGregory
Gunslinger, say thank-ya
iGregory began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Asus Transformer, Coby Kryos
If I might play along...

1 The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein
2 Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
3 Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
4 Fionavar Tapestry - Guy Gavriel Kay
5 The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson
6 Incarnation Series - Peirs Anthony
7 The Gunslinger ('cause I'm reading it now) - Stephen King
8 Hitchhiker's Guild to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
9 The Heechee Saga - Frederick Pohl
10 Sword of Shanara - Terry Brooks
11 Conan the Barbarian - Robert E. Howard (I think)

There they are... more or less in order.
iGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #24
kennyc

I've GOT to read The HeeChee Saga...
Old 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #25
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
In no particular order:

Physician, by Noah Gordon
Shaman, by Noah Gordon
The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien
The Sub-Rosa series, by Steven Saylor
Magician, by Raymond Feist (guilty pleasure of mine)
Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett
Byzantium, by Stephen Lawhead
Gateway, by Frederick Pohl
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #26
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Just off the top of my head and subject to change.

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis
The Good Earth by Pearl S Buck
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
2666 by Roberto Bolano
Bonfire of The Vanities by by Tom Wolfe
Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin by Vladimir Voinovich
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
The Believers by Zoe Heller
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #27
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
Not in any order:

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway
The Game Players of Titan - Philip K Dick
Thank You for Smoking - Christopher Buckley
Doctor Who: Alien Bodies - Lawrence Miles
Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut
Hitchhiker's Guide - Douglas Adams
Going Postal - Terry Pratchett
The Thief of Always - Clive Barker
Fletch Won - Gregory MacDonald
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Good Omens - Pratchett and Gaiman

EDIT: I didn't read the other responses before posting so they wouldn't sway my picks any. Looking at the lists before mine, I'm a little sad I left Shogun off the list.

Last edited by hal2814; 11-08-2010 at 01:50 PM.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #28
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Here is my list not in any specific order.

The Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
The Alchemist - Coelho
Pillars of the Earth - Follett
The Book Thief - Zusak
Still Alice - Genova
I Know This Much is True - Lamb
The Blind Assassin - Atwood
A Thousand Splendid Sons - Hosseini
Jessica - Courtney
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bryson
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #29
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Heidi
Foundation Trilogy
Little Women
Nova
Starfish Trilogy
Discworld Series
My Husband's Book (Below)

And my all-time sentimental favorite, Black Beauty. It is the first "real" book I ever read. It had a beautiful black horse running through autumn leaves on the cover. I kept it on the table beside my bed until I learned to read. I still cherish the memory of that book.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #30
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Not in any particular order:

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
Enchantment -- Orson Scott Card
Lord of the Rings -- JRR Tolkein
Pet Semetary -- Stephen King
The Green Mile -- Stephen King
Old Man's War -- John Scalzi
Odd Thomas -- Dean Koontz
Star Wars: Thrawn Trilogy -- Timothy Zahn
The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo -- Steig Larsson
Battle Royale -- Koushin Takami