Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Book Designer - I'm a Convert!

After many months of preaching the virtues of using plain old RTF files on the Reader I've finally got around to trying out Book Designer and all I can say is "Wow!"; I'm a convert!

I'm just blown away by this program - it's wonderful. Load an RTF file into it, click the "Sony Reader" button and there's a beautifully formatted LRF file, complete with all the pictures in the RTF.

As they say in my part of the world, I'm gobsmacked .

BD all the way for me from here on!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Happy eBooking!!!!!!

It didn't seem to work for me on vista, but after reading your post I decided to give it another try. Downloaded the latest updates - and..... it works!!!

Now I just have to figure out how to use it.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Me too

I have used it for the first time this week and I am also impressed.

It is very easy to use on a basic level.

AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still going to use Word for my basic formatting of a document (especially PG text files), but BD is wonderful for converting the final RTF file into a Reader eBook.

At its basic level, all you have to do is:

1. Load your RTF file (or whatever) into BD.
2. Highlight the title and click the "Book Title" button in the right-hand toolbar.
3. Highlight the author and click the "Book Author" button in the right-hand toolbar.
4. Click the "Make Sony Reader" button, set the options up the way you want it, and click the "Make" button.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave
Happy eBooking!!!!!!

It didn't seem to work for me on vista, but after reading your post I decided to give it another try. Downloaded the latest updates - and..... it works!!!

Now I just have to figure out how to use it.
I have it working fine on vista except for lit files!!Has anyone figured this out yet?
Mitchll
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
It looks to be the best LRF solution out there at the moment and it can produce great looking books. I still have real problems with the automatic title/subtitle/page break detection and wish that was more configurable.

Here's the Sony Reader settings I'm currently using (viewed using the Medium size setting on the Reader):
Font sizes one lower than the default, paragraph set to size 8 and font style normal
Margins l:30, r:30, t:0 b:20
spacing lines 130%
disable footers, header set to title
images color 4, size as it is
skip cover page
Book language German (configuration setting)

Last edited by FangornUK; 03-23-2007 at 08:26 AM.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Bookdesigner works really good for me too. Only problem is with some characters like "&" which are printed as "&" in the LRF file.

But for the rest it's a great program. BTW does someone know how I can make the first letter of a paragraph bigger then the rest as the paragraph? In the RTF file I formatted it like that but BD makes it small like the rest.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm warming to it, I'm still trying to figure out how to make it stop doing some stuff. I got the font and size adjustments working, but now I'm trying to figure out how to make it not treat the list of previously published books as chapter titles. Oh, yeah, and it insists on translating a few certain characters into Cyrillic, for instance, it wants to make "á" into "б" -- a wee bit disconcerting.

If anyone knows what setting I'm missing, please sing out.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Oh, yeah, and it insists on translating a few certain characters into Cyrillic, for instance, it wants to make "á" into "б" -- a wee bit disconcerting.

I think you can fix this one by changing the "Language" setting of the book from English to, say, French or German - any language which uses accented characters. This is in the "Settings" dialog (the toolbar button with the screwdriver on it).
Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm warming to it, I'm still trying to figure out how to make it stop doing some stuff. I got the font and size adjustments working, but now I'm trying to figure out how to make it not treat the list of previously published books as chapter titles. Oh, yeah, and it insists on translating a few certain characters into Cyrillic, for instance, it wants to make "á" into "б" -- a wee bit disconcerting.

How do you do that? If I change the Font it will only change it in the GUI but not in the LRF book.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

On the "Options" tab of the "Make Sony Reader" dialog you can set the font used for each "element". You can't add new fonts, but you can select from the internal fonts. For example, I prefer my books to use the "Swiss" font for basic text, and that works fine.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I'm still going to use Word for my basic formatting of a document (especially PG text files), but BD is wonderful for converting the final RTF file into a Reader eBook.

At its basic level, all you have to do is:

1. Load your RTF file (or whatever) into BD.
2. Highlight the title and click the "Book Title" button in the right-hand toolbar.
3. Highlight the author and click the "Book Author" button in the right-hand toolbar.
4. Click the "Make Sony Reader" button, set the options up the way you want it, and click the "Make" button.
I don't have a sony reader button I do have sony libre button? also I downloaded the update but when I went to run this program it said it was defaulting to the old? or something like that?

Mass confusion, LOL
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What do you see when you select the "Help/Book Designer Updates" menu item? It should say "Book Designer 5. Last update 16/03/2007". That's the latest version, which should have the "Sony Reader" button on it.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
I think you can fix this one by changing the "Language" setting of the book from English to, say, French or German - any language which uses accented characters. This is in the "Settings" dialog (the toolbar button with the screwdriver on it).
I'll give that a shot, HarryT, thanks!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
What do you see when you select the "Help/Book Designer Updates" menu item? It should say "Book Designer 5. Last update 16/03/2007". That's the latest version, which should have the "Sony Reader" button on it.
I tried that and I went to some russion sight...........which I can't read by the way,
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner