Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Adding books re-arranges the list

I just updated to the latest version, and wanted to add some books to a Nook.

When I added the books, the library re-arranged it self, not sure even HOW it re-arranged it self. But then I have to go back and sort them again to get to the other books I want to add because it puts them in really no discernable order that I can tell, except for by author.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What did you update from?

At some point calibre was changed to use title sorting when sending books to the device. I don't recall when that happened, but it was in the last few versions. It might be that you are seeing the effects of this change. Hard to know from your description.

At that time a 'tweak' was added to change this behavior. The tweak documentation is:

Code:
# Control how title and series names are formatted when saving to disk/sending
# to device. If set to library_order, leading articles such as The and A will
# be put at the end
# If set to 'strictly_alphabetic', the titles will be sorted without processing
# For example, with library_order, "The Client" will become "Client, The". With
# strictly_alphabetic, it would remain "The Client".
save_template_title_series_sorting = 'library_order'
Change tweaks by going to preferences -> advanced -> tweaks.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This just happened with the update I downloaded a few hours ago...it didn't happen before then.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
This just happened with the update I downloaded a few hours ago...it didn't happen before then.
If you skipped over the version that introduced the change, then you wouldn't have seen it until now. That is why I asked what version you updated from.

Putting that aside: is the list now in 'title_sort' order (and what list are we talking about)? If so, then the cause and fix are identified. If not, then something else changed, and debugging will require someone who owns a Nook (not me).
Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

Oh I mis-understood you then...I updated from the previous version 0.7.17, but I think I understand what you are saying.

Title order looks to be the way it is...but I've got so many tags/series etc, it's hard to tell...I'll try your library sort first
Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard

Okay it didn't work...I plugged my unit in...and once it detected my Nook, all my files were re-arranged....first by tag, then by title. But only within the Tag that I transferrred the book from. Is there a way to roll back to a previous version?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay it didn't work...I plugged my unit in...and once it detected my Nook, all my files were re-arranged....first by tag, then by title. But only within the Tag that I transferrred the book from. Is there a way to roll back to a previous version?
It sounds like the save template was changed to include tags or series in the file name.

You can easily backup to 0.7.17. The files are at http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/. However, I suspect it won't help you. I don't know of anything that changed between .17 and .18 in this area.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard

that's odd then, because it didn't do that in .17
Old 09-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Wouldn't removing all books, then resending them all put them in the proper title order you want?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard

when I either a. plug in the device, or b. send to the device the order gets messed up. Not on the device but in Calibre.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
when I either a. plug in the device, or b. send to the device the order gets messed up. Not on the device but in Calibre.
I'm confused? Chaley has been giving advice on ordering the books on your device. Are you referring to calibre's device view?

How do you want calibre to be ordered? There is a tweak to ensure the calibre library view comes up sorted the way you want it every time. I have a job running so I can't quote the tweak, but I have mine set to sort by series then by authors so my library starts with Author order and within each author the series are in order.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-11-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh.. Yet another case of me not understanding. I thought you were talking about the list on the device!

When you plug in your device, calibre might be sorting by the ondevice column. Does the position of the little sort triangles change? From what, to what?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard

I guess things are getting mixed up here:

This is in Calibre only, my device is fine:

I have it sorted by Title/Author/Series/Tag so that I see say Comedy, in Author Alphabetical, if the books aren't in a sseries then they are alphabetical.

When I plug my Nook in....the books get re-arranged within Calibre.

EDIT: Just saw teh last post....I don't know, they seem to get sorted by title within the genre or "tag" even with the series in the metadata

EDIT2: I went through the new preferences and just did a Restore to Default on ALL options and that seemed to fix it. *shrug* dunno

Last edited by jhempel24; 09-11-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #14
jhempel24
Wizard

I spoke too soon....something's up with it....and it's acting very very buggy, and it's now very very slow.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I spoke too soon....something's up with it....and it's acting very very buggy, and it's now very very slow.
Did you restart calibre (ctrl-r)?

Not that it will help but the tweak I was referring to is:

# Provide a set of columns to be sorted on when calibre starts # The argument is None if saved sort history is to be used
# otherwise it is a list of column,order pairs. Column is the
# lookup/search name, found using the tooltip for the column
# Order is 0 for ascending, 1 for descending
# For example, set it to [('authors',0),('title',0)] to sort by
# title within authors.

sort_columns_at_startup = ('authors',0),('series',0),('title',0)

This makes sure my calibre library starts up sorted by author. All series by that author are in numerical order and the rest of the books by the author not in a series are in library sort order.

Good luck.