Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Repent, Moejoe, said the Olympia typing man!

I'm throwing this out for a future post-Hoppersville suggested writing thread, and hoping someone has the technical know-how to point me in the right direction.

Many of you remember fondly the Harlan Ellison writing experiment where the diminutive wizard sat in a store front and wrote short stories on his Olympia manual typewriter based on suggestions given to him on a piece of paper by the audience.

I want to do that, but on the web. What I'm after is a system where anybody who comes to the webpage can see either the writing live, or timestamped to within a minute. It would be helpful if those visitors could also post a suggestion, interact maybe in a separate window from the writing but not interfere with the writing as it happens. Oh and it has to be free also, and the end result must be able to be downloaded. I suppose it would be something like a modified Wiki....something along those lines?

Anybody got any ideas how I can pull this off on the web?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Huh... I love the concept. Lemme stew on it a while.

But, preliminary thoughts... best way might be a box, pref. plain text, which refreshes itself consistently. Sort of like a chat window, except it's a block of text.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Huh... I love the concept. Lemme stew on it a while.

But, preliminary thoughts... best way might be a box, pref. plain text, which refreshes itself consistently. Sort of like a chat window, except it's a block of text.

That's what I'm after, it has to be live so anybody who visits knows I'm not just copying and pasting in blocks of text from a pre-prepared document. I'm still fishing for how to do this....but now it's in my head, I must do it
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
On the main MR Forums page, down near the bottom, there's a "Members' Chat" area. Maybe something like that for the interactive portion.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
nomesque
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check this out - http://www.coveritlive.com

Close?
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
On the main MR Forums page, down near the bottom, there's a "Members' Chat" area. Maybe something like that for the interactive portion.
I was thinking that myself, Moe, but I think there's a hard limit on the number of characters, like on Twitter, and I could still 'cheat' and copy-paste the words into the chat before hitting enter. Damn, come on WEB where's your magic for me???
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
nomesque

If suggestions can be made and incorporated in real-time, preparedness (or not) of the material would soon be very obvious...
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
If suggestions can be made and incorporated in real-time, preparedness (or not) of the material would soon be very obvious...

True, but I'd prefer it if people could see me actually typing and correcting mistakes as I went. I'm checking out Coverit now, thanks for the tip

EDIT:

Coveritlive is as near to damn as I'm going to get it, thanks Nomesque, Karma on its way. Oooooh now I'm all excited and want to do this straight away, but I won't. I'll have to finish some other projects first. Now here's another question, what is the best time to do this so that i can catch as many countries as possible?

Last edited by Moejoe; 08-20-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
nomesque

Perhaps... you could go hi-tech and offer a webcam feed as well?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
nomesque

Oh... timing? Hmmmm.... have a look at when MR has the most people logged in?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps... you could go hi-tech and offer a webcam feed as well?
I cannot be held responsible for the mass swooning of both men and women when they see my beautiful face Also, while I'm dreaming can I have my very own Sherman Tank?

Quote:
Oh... timing? Hmmmm.... have a look at when MR has the most people logged in?
Good idea, anybody got any stats on that they'd like to share? Or can I dig them up myself...*wanders off to look at times and things*
Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I cannot be held responsible for the mass swooning of both men and women when they see my beautiful face
Well, this IS always a danger If in doubt, focus the webcam on your hands to avoid the distraction and swoonings caused by your face!

Quote:
Also, while I'm dreaming can I have my very own Sherman Tank?
Why the hell not? Does it have a built-in laptop?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Well, this IS always a danger If in doubt, focus the webcam on your hands to avoid the distraction and swoonings caused by your face!

Why the hell not? Does it have a built-in laptop?
I hope so, and I also want one of them ones that shoots out blueberry slush-puppy drinks from the cannon-bit at the front, whatever that's called
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #14
nomesque

Quote:
I hope so, and I also want one of them ones that shoots out blueberry slush-puppy drinks from the cannon-bit at the front, whatever that's called
I think it's called 'taking the phallic symbol thing TOO FAR' ...
Old 08-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
I think it's called 'taking the phallic symbol thing TOO FAR' ...
God help me if my phallic symbol every shoots out blue....no, I'll stop right there