Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Recommend some good audio books to me

Hello all,

My wife finds that she has some credits left in her audible account that she will loose on the 31st if we don't use them. So, recommend some well presented audio books to me please.

I am a reader of SF and Fantasy. I also like a good mystery. So favorite authors are Terry Brooks, David Eddings, Goodkind, Diane Carrey, Peter David.

Looking for good stories but also some that are well read/performed.

Thanks,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Try Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls, both written by Lois McMaster Bujold. The books are awesome, and the readings on Audible.com are well-done. They made the driving part of a trip around national parks in the U.S. West go much faster. (3.5K miles in 13 days, with many many lengthy stops at parks). It got to the point where the teenagers were wanting to stay in the mini-van until the chapter ended.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Try Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls, both written by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Thanks. I'll get them.

BOb
Old 12-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I love audio books, and the best I have ever had the privilege to hear have been the Wodehouse books read by Jonathan Cecil.

These aren't just readings, they are genuine comedy masterpieces, in the same rank as Chaplin, Hulot, Tony Hancock (for UK viewers).

Sheer, unadulterated bliss for Wodehouse fans everywhere .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Anyone listened to Anathem ??? It is two credits...

BOb
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I haven't been to the audible.com site to see what they offer, but I am quite fond of Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street series in audio. I have bought all of the books in this series in CD and have really enjoyed each one. My second choice would be the Isabel Dalhousie series, also by McCall Smith.

44 Scotland Street
1. 44 Scotland Street (2005)
2. Espresso Tales (2005)
3. Love Over Scotland (2006)
4. The World According to Bertie (2007)
5. The Unbearable Lightness of Scones (2008)

Isabel Dalhousie
1. The Sunday Philosophy Club (2004)
2. Friends, Lovers, Chocolate (2005)
3. The Right Attitude to Rain (2006)
4. The Careful Use of Compliments (2007)
5. The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday (2008)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett

"That is the Dunnett effect - there are thousands of readers who now eagerly read about such diverse topics as Scottish 15th century coinage, Russian politics and the trading effects of Alum mining and dyeworking on Renaissance Europe, who might never have known some of these things existed. People scour art galleries looking for pictures of Venetian bankers and Brussels traders, or seek out the Icelandic Sagas to broaden their understanding of an ancient king who was later “framed” by Shakespeare. We are all immensely broadened in our outlooks and knowledge of the world - and all while enjoying a series of books from which we’ll still be discovering new surprises long into our old age."
http://www.dorothydunnett.co.uk/dumyinv.htm

NEVERMIND. I'm sorry, I should have checked audible.com before I posted. They don't seem to have it unless I'm searching incorrectly. I just assumed they did because they have everything else I've looked for and I knew it was available.

Last edited by wayspooled; 12-30-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: linkie added
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've enjoyed Kristine Katherine Rusch's "Retrieval Artist" audiobooks from Audible recently. At one time Audible had offered the first one free, and I bought the rest.

I'm not sure I'm a good judge of "well read/performed" though. I've listened to four authors in audiobooks - Janet Evanovich, J. D. Robb, Jean Auel, and Kristine Katherine Rusch. I'm new to the audiobook thing.

Oh, actually, the first book I ever listened to was the first "Nursery Crimes" novel by Jasper Fforde. I thought it was hilarious, but YMMV. Seems like people either really like his humor or really don't.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks all. Here's what I choose... a bit of a mix.

The Curse of Chalion
Paladin of Souls
Ender's Game
Just After Sunset
Timeline
Along Came a Spider
Red Mars

Thanks,
BOb
Old 12-31-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Bob - I know you've already downloaded your selections, but I can heartily recommend several audiobooks out of the 30 or so I've listened to this year.

I've listened to several books written by Bryce Courtenay and read by Humphrey Bower, including Brother Fish, The Power of One, and Tandia,which is a sequel to The Power of One. Bryce Courtenay writes long books (usually 20 to 35 hours long), but his books have excellent character and plot development. Humphrey Bower does an outstanding job of narration, and he is one of my favorite narrators. I believe the author and narrator are both Australian, so it takes a bit of getting used to, but it provides a very enjoyable listening experience.

I'm currently listening to 24 Hours by Greg Iles, read by Dick Hill. The narrator does a simply outstanding job of narrating the book. Actually, he doesn't narrate it, he performs it. He adds so much to the tension of the book by his reading that you can only call it a performance. I've not previously listened to any books read by Dick Hill, but I will certainly search others out.

Again, I know you've already downloaded your selections, but hopefully the above short list will give you a head start on books for next year. Please note these are not in the Science Fiction/Fantasy or Mystery genres, but I've recommended them because they are my favorites of the several dozen I've listened to this year.

Happy listening!
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:54 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I'm currently listening to 24 Hours by Greg Iles, read by Dick Hill. The narrator does a simply outstanding job of narrating the book. Actually, he doesn't narrate it, he performs it. He adds so much to the tension of the book by his reading that you can only call it a performance. I've not previously listened to any books read by Dick Hill, but I will certainly search others out.
I found out a good performer (the best readers are perfomers, in my eyes), can make listening too a book much more enjoyable.

Right now, I'm listening to Gai-jin by James Clavell and the reader is awesome. It is narrated by John Lee.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:41 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "Amelia Peabody" series of mysteries written by Elizabeth Peters, set in late 19th and early 20th century Egypt and narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt is simply superb. She has a distinct "voice" for each different character - very definitely a "performance" rather than just a "reading".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Today I would just advise one:
To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
By Connie Willis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Say_Nothing_of_the_Dog

Good shopping,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "Amelia Peabody" series of mysteries written by Elizabeth Peters, set in late 19th and early 20th century Egypt and narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt is simply superb. She has a distinct "voice" for each different character - very definitely a "performance" rather than just a "reading".
I love Barbara's narration! My only complaint is that three of the audiobooks in the series are abridged. These books should never be abridged because too much detail is lost.

hmmm...I think I've got a couple of Audible credits to use. Time to go shopping!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Sweet Pea - I agree that John Lee is an excellent narrator. He was also the narrator on World Without End by Ken Follett. This is quite a lengthy book (nearly 45.5 hours), but it's a very enjoyable sequel (of sorts) to Pillars of the Earth. I say a sequel of sorts because it's set in the same town as Pillars, but about 200 years later, so obviously none of the same characters are involved.

I also agree that the best readers are performers. A movie actor can use facial expressions and body language, but a narrator can only use his/her voice to convey emotions, and I'm sure there are highly skilled actors that would nonetheless make horrible narrators.

Bookish Dreamer - I have always avoided abridged books, and I continue to avoid abridged audio books. If I'm going to read (or listen to) a book, I want the whole book, not an abridged or condensed version.

I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread for other recommendations.

Happy Listening!
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote